BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have some input on seating upgrades for the RT . Clearly the RT lacks some seating comfort.

·
Registered
127 Posts
mtrider said:
I would like to have some input on seating upgrades for the RT . Clearly the RT lacks some seating comfort.
I opted for a Bill Mayer Saddle, and haven't been pleased with the comfort (lack of).

Others suggest Rick Mayer, Kontour, and Russell. Russell seems to be the gold standard.

The general consensus on Corbin seems to be "stay away," due to poor customer service, and seats that aren't too comfortable.

I am going to try an Airhawk at on top of my Bill Mayer and see how that works.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Subject has been discussed to death.

A quick search of 'seat' in thread title will give you 156 threads to peruse!

have fun!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Seating comfort with OE seats is fine on my RT. Depends on you and the bike doesn't deserve criticism.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
SPXDR said:
The general consensus on Corbin seems to be "stay away," due to poor customer service, and seats that aren't too comfortable.
Not to mention fact that they weigh so much they must be made of iron.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with a Russell All Day Saddle which enables me to truly ride all day -- other than gas stops.

Russell's customer service and willingness to stick with me until the seat was comfortable had lots to do with my choice.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not going to criticize other custom seat makers if I haven’t tried them. My first custom seat in 45 years of riding was a Bill Mayer for my R1200RT. It has been perfect for 1000 mile day rides and extended multi-week tours. I rode in and it was custom fitted to my preference. They made several adjustments after being asked to test ride it that same day. The stock seat wasn’t bad, but the Rocky Mayer seat was a big step up for me. I have had this seat four years on two different RT’s with no issues of wear or cushion breakdown. When I traded my 06 RT for a 2011 I swapped seats at the dealer and the new bike immediately felt like it was mine.

I realize everyone’s different and no seat works for everyone. I suggest you look at the field of choices and choose according to your evaluation of customer service and seat features that make sense to you. There are people in any group that will not like what the majority likes and prefer the less praised seat design. I like to move around the seat when riding in twisty environments and would consider the Russell to be too confining for my riding style. All that really matters is what you want and choosing a custom shop that has the highest likelihood to build what you want with the quality you are willing to pay for. If possible choose a custom shop you ride in for fitting. Best chance for success.

·
Registered
550 Posts
mtrider, just a thought, but maybe there are a owners with a custom seats in your area who will swap seats with you for a trial ride. Just a simple twist of a key is all that is needed, and a willing rider. A lot cheaper than purchasing one and then selling it for 1/2 price because it doesn't work for you...tom

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Best seat ever for me is the Kontour. Outstanding workmanship, no monkey-butt, waterproof, does not get to 1000 degrees in the sun, and actually has airflow. It also looks great and not dorky like some aftermarket stuff.

http://kontourseat.com/index.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bought used RT, it came with a Corbin. Very comfortable, a bit wide. But it is standard height and I am on the shorter side. Bought a stock low seat.
Selling the Corbin cheap. E-mail if interested. [email protected]

·
Registered
287 Posts
When I first got my 2010 RT, I knew that something had to be done about the seat. I wasn't sure what to get and I knew that aftermarket seats would be very expensive so I got an Airhawk as a temporary solution.

Now, 10,000 miles later, I am still using the Airhawk. In fact I am on the last leg of a 2,500 mile trip to the Smoky Mtn region and the Arirhawk has been fine. It has the advantage that it can be removed for "active riding" - I took it off for the 1000 miles of twisties that I did (e.g., Tail of the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshine 28) in that motorcycle playground. That's an advantage I had not anticipated.

I imagine that the tractor style seats would be the most comfortable. However I don't like their appearance (they take away the sporting look of the RT) and I believe that they add some height. I can flat foot with the standard seat.

pros and cons...

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
A custom seat would be the way to go. I don't understand why anyone would buy an off the shelf seat when a custom seat is no more expensive and it retains the hi/low option and heat in this case. When I owned a cruiser, I bought a Mustang. Biggest waste of money. Never again.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
todka32 said:
The biggest question I have is, does the heat controls still work with an aftermarket seat?
Depends on the seat and I bet none of them just plug into the existing wiring out of the box. Even so, custom seats retain the stock heating element, so it works as it did before. If you look at the list price on a Sargent, heated driver and passenger, I think the list price is $869. Price a seat from either Mayer or Russell and I bet it's no more and could be less. Rick's Seats tend to be more. I don't know about Kontour, but I doubt it's much different. The downside is that you have to wait for a custom seat if you supply them with the original. Another thing is, I am not sure if off the shelf seats work in both the high and low position. I've seen Corbin's and they seem to sit lower than stock high position. That wouldn't interest me.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I love my Corbin but my wife likes her OEM, everyone's butt is different. Its a bit wider than OEM so may be a challenge the the short legged folks, I just slide to one side to flat foot with one leg, otherwise I'm on the balls of my feet.

This is my second bike with a Corbin and my butt is happy.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
itspossible said:
I love my Corbin but my wife likes her OEM, everyone's butt is different. Its a bit wider than OEM so may be a challenge the the short legged folks, I just slide to one side to flat foot with one leg, otherwise I'm on the balls of my feet.

This is my second bike with a Corbin and my butt is happy.
Like I said, a lower seat doesn't work for me no matter how good it is. I can flat foot on the center stand with boots on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have no interest in a custom seat unless I can meet with the builder and have him tailor it to me on the spot. Otherwise, you're shooting in the dark. The Mayer seats may be comfortable, but they're ugly as sin. The Russell seats may be comfortable for some, but they won't customize.....It's their way or no way.

The off-the-shelf Corbin on my Ultra was perfect. The off-the-shelf C&C on my Night Train couldn't be better. The off-the-shelf LDC on my GS/A is really good, and getting better as I get back into shape.

Best part is, I still have the stock seat should I swap bikes.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Well, we ride BMWs. If I wanted form over function I would have bought something else. As long as a seat works for me, I don't care if it's ugly. The stocker gets old after a couple hours, especially if it's hot out. Not as bad as the seats I have had on my last two Kawasakis, which were useless after 30-60 minutes, but it isn't what it should be. In those cases, Mustang added 30-45 minutes saddle time before I had to get off. Not worth the money spent on either, even though everyone liked the way it looked.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts