BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a manufacturer that would take my stock seat , modify it so I could get about 1" taller and little softer on the rear...

Corbin told me no....

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
Find you a good local upolstery shop. They can often accomodate your requests for minor mods to stock seats.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I just got my seats back from Rick Mayer and I'm a little bit higher than 1", but I think I like it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My local guys - great idea - they do my MX seats for $25.00

This was the Email from RMC - Way too much money: :(
-------------------------------------------
Hi Vince
Heating element is no problem
adding 1" is no problem
cost $399 for front only vinyl, $499 for all three upholstered pieces (front
seat, back seat and passenger backrest) $499 for front only in leather,
$699.00 in leather for all 3 upholstered pieces

Thanks!
Rick
Rick Mayer Cycle, LLC
5778 Heavenly Valley Lane
Anderson, CA 96007
530-357-2888
530-357-2855 (Fax)

Office Hours: Tuesday - Friday 9-3:00 PST

·
Registered
832 Posts
All of the saddle makers (Mayer, Russell, Mayer) work with your stock seat (pan) to make you a custom saddle that you will love.

·
Registered
449 Posts
TrackAdaptor said:
This was the Email from RMC - Way too much money: :(
Rick Mayer, Russell, etc take your stock seat and remake it into a better seat, which should explain the price. If you're happy with your stock, then your local guy adding foam to raise it should be fine. If you're not happy, now's a perfect time to upgrade.

See if there's someone in your area with an aftermarket seat that you can try out.

Cheers,

**edit**

Just saw that you're in CA. That's where many of the aftermarket guys are. You may want to see how far away they are from you to swing by and look at their products.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
TrackAdaptor said:
Is there a manufacturer that would take my stock seat , modify it so I could get about 1" taller and little softer on the rear...
There's several "seat builders" out there that would be happy
to take (quite a bit) of your hard earned money.

Since you live in Cali,
if you're able to ride up to see RM he'll redo your seat (with an appointment) in about 3 hours.

If mail order is your only option,
my personal experience has been that there's a big difference (in quality)
between "ride-in" and "mail order" resulting in a
less than satisfactory product.
(go local)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try contacting Ron at Kontour Seats. He's on this forum. I had them build one higher for me, although I wanted it firmer as well. The finished seat was very, very good.

·
Registered
659 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
There's several "seat builders" out there that would be happy
to take (quite a bit) of your hard earned money.

If mail order is your only option,
my personal experience has been that there's a big difference (in quality)
between "ride-in" and "mail order" resulting in a
less than satisfactory product.
(go local)
I found that to be true also...I actually believe the seat Rick sent me was a return because the left side was somewhat scuffed from (what appears to me) another rider mounting and dismounting. No problem, but I wasn't entirely happy and the seat needs modifications that I'd only have done by bringing it in to him. Just hate to drive from S.Dakota to California to have my seat modified! Definitely do the ride in. Also, I found Rick offers some specials when riding season winds down...might be worth your while to check his website from time to time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you happen to pass by a sheep farm grab the skin of one and try it :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Newf said:
If you happen to pass by a sheep farm grab the skin of one and try it :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica :histerica
ahhh Nova Scotia............ where men are men .......and sheep are nervous :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts