BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the seat (drive and passenger) on my '05 LT to replace. Is there any details on this process? I dearched the Hall of Wisdom and could not find specifics on the removal of the seat ... only found fairing removal.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
1) Open the left case and pull the release for the rider seat.
2) Disconnect the electric connector for the heating element located on the left side of the bike frame near the front of the seat (follow the cable). This can be a bit tricky and some people pull the left side fairing to get easier access, although I think it is an overkill.
3) Remove the 5 allen bolts that attach the seat to the arm and the driver seat comes off.
4) Unplug the electric connector for the heated element located on the left side of the bike (follow the cable).
5) Remove the 2 allen bolts that hold the passenger seat and slide the seat forward. It will come loose.
6) Enjoy a nice cold one and pat yourself on the back for a job well done!;)

What kind of seats are you installing?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
GSinNC said:
I need to remove the seat (drive and passenger) on my '05 LT to replace. Is there any details on this process? I dearched the Hall of Wisdom and could not find specifics on the removal of the seat ... only found fairing removal.

Thanks in advance
http://www.snafu.org/pics/k12lt/print.html

This and 5 allen bolts and a wire tie on the bottom nose, 2 wire ties on the frame and one electrical connector will free up the driver. 2 allen bolts and one electrical connector will release the pillion.

If you don't have heated seats fugghedabout the fairing removal, wire ties and connectors...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gilles and Ron.

Gilles that it the step by step info I was hoping for. May tackle it today.

Ron ... the link you attached is what I had found but assume all the body work did not have to be removed. Gilles step indicate no body work need to come off. I hope he is correct.

Right now I am only swapping out the passenger seat as the original has a small discoloration where a Back-up was installed. I have a new perfect stock one ready to install.

I also have an '02 seat I may try in place of my '05. I would probably consider spending for $$ for a Kontour or Russell but would need it by June 1st and I son't see that happening. So for now I may try a beadrider or sheepskin.

I have read the recent posts fron guys 6' something with inseams greater than 34" and I am in the same boat. I love the LT but want a better seat. I can do 300-400 mile days if I make sure I stop every 70-90 miles and stretch. Am heading to Americade June 1st.

Thanks for the great info !!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK ......... rear seat was a snap! New one installed and cold beverage in hand. The front looks to be a different story. I think I may need to remove the left side panel. That may require another beverage or two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts