BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the leap on a Bill Mayer saddle for the LT, have really enjoyed one on the GS for a year now. When I start taking the saddle off to ship........wires, wires. The rear seat has the heater plug right out in the open but the back rest and pilots seat require tupperware removal. Press for time and intimidated with taking the left side of the bike off, I cut the wires and will put some high quality connectors on, which is what BMW should have done.

·
Registered
460 Posts
On the left side of the bike, at the front, lift the driver seat and just under the plastic, you should see a white 4 pin connector. That's the connector for the seat wiring - so they do provide a quick connector. Unfortunately, despite the fact that they provide this quick connector, BMW wraps the heated seat wire along the frame on the left side - zip ties it - and then plugs it into the connector, so you can't easily remove the seat as it ships from the factory. One of the first things I did when I removed the plastic on the left side was to cut the zip ties to let me pull the seat wire (and the seat) at will and then zip (loosely) the remaining wires back. Unfortunately, you've already cut the heated seat wire on yours, but, you could always do a good splice back and then remove the seat wire from the zip ties. You'll find lots of info on this site on removing the plastic on the left side. If memory serves me right, there are 20 screws (10 in the pieces you need to remove first - the tip over bumper, the tip over wing, the signal light, the mirror and the cap over the seat) and 10 more in the left fairing plastic. Entire process takes about 12 minutes now - a half hour the first time you try it. There are lots of detailed instructions on this site on how to do it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
seat removal

jdhargrave said:
Took the leap on a Bill Mayer saddle for the LT, have really enjoyed one on the GS for a year now. When I start taking the saddle off to ship........wires, wires. The rear seat has the heater plug right out in the open but the back rest and pilots seat require tupperware removal. Press for time and intimidated with taking the left side of the bike off, I cut the wires and will put some high quality connectors on, which is what BMW should have done.
Here is a pic of the front seat will try to find the back for you.

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
16,542 Posts
When I was doing a 12K service and the tupperware was off, I unhooked the front seat heater plug from its frame mount and rotated it 180 degrees than snapped it back in place. Now I can unhook the front seat heater plug easily without removing anything first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the rear seat connector, it is in plain sight,however, I will now have connectors for the passenger backrest and the front seat where I want them. Will be using a quality connector with solder and heat shrink, should be no problem.
The front seat connector was also visable and if it had been put in with the sqeeze end facing the inside of the bike I could have disconnected it without taking anything off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts