BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probably a stupid question but I can not decide if the upper or lower position is best for handling and control. I have an 05 and when I bought it the dealer said leave it in the higher position. Im 6 feet tall.
I lowered the pegs with floorboards which lower them about an inch and a half and also it relocated them slightly forward.

When standing still and feet on ground the lower position feels more stable to me. But just would like to hear what others at my height prefer. Sorry I know its a subjective question. It is the stock seat.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
When I ride in urban settings (which is rare) I put the seat in the lower position to give me more leverage and a better feel at stoplights, etc.

On the highway in the upper position for more comfort.

I had floorboards which just plain did not work for me since it forced me to ONLY plant my feet aft of "center". Very awkward. I much prefer the feel of having my toes on the pegs, especially for spirited riding.

Inseam, physcial fitness, boot sole composition and especially riding skills at slow speeds also contribute to your "comfort" zone when horsing around a beast like an LT.

I've always thought my LT it is the worst handling bike I've ever had at 2 mph, but at 90 all is forgiven. ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Overall height doesn't mean much for ergonomics. Peiople have different inseams and waist to head heights. The first is relavent to ground clearance and how your feet touch the ground. The latter is important (along with arm length) to determine if risers will provide a more upright riding position. Both are needed to customize for best comfort on the seat in riding position.

I was six feet, until I lost an inch of hair (nothing on top anymore practically), and my inseam is 31". I'm using the stock low position and find it quite comfortable all around. I do not use floor boards or a lowering kit.

I do have to agree that slow speed handing can be tough. It's easier if you use the rear brake instead of the front brake, but I'm still trying to break that bad (on the LT) habit.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I prefer the high setting for more room with stock pegs, and can flat foot no problem. But on the highway I prefer airhawk, seat in high, with feet on tank every once in a while. :D

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Try each setting in different conditions and decide for yourself?

Seat position is more than just length between your buttox and the ground. It also changes where your center of gravity (e.g., where most of the weight on your posterior sits)on the seat itself is.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
You are the safest where you are most comfortable.... lower seat in town... raise on cruise...

Talk to Ari... you might want to rig up an electric seat like he did... then again, his winters give him lots of time to farkle.... and work on the bike... =)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I'm 6'-5" and have tried all positions.

I even made up a "wedge" (mounted underneath to the mounting bracket) to try to further lift the seat. It worked, but, I didn't like the look and ultimately comfort.

Some of it is getting used to it. I mostly ride with toes on pegs and heels on passenger floorboards. This keeps my feet from scraping.

Long trips it is usually best to change your position around a bit.

Wish I had the coin for a custom seat. Going to have to start stashing away.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Maybe the 05 is different from the 04 (as far as seat adjustment configuration goes.)
But on my 04 when I raise the seat it only raises the rear portion of the seat. The result for me was sliding forward. Not very comfortable IMHO. (6'5")
I have been pretty happy with stock seat, bead rider, lower pegs for interstates, and XL J-Pegs.. :)
Just my $.02..
Jeff

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
At 6'2+" and a 36" inseam, I like the way the bike fits with the seat in the high position...but...I keep it in the low spot. The handling feels a little bit better and I have a bit more control. Maybe if I raised the handlebars up a bit then I could give my knees a break but with the XL J-pegs, I am good to go.
Like the others have said, try it in both positions.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am about 6' 2" and I like to ride my 05 in the higher position. Then again, I like to just tippy toe when I touch the ground, so I also added a 4 inch gel pad and a walmart pillow under the seat ( while in the high position ).

I like to feel that I am sitting above the bike and ALWAYS like my eyeline to be above the windshield.

I guess it could be a preference to how you feel more comfortable on the bike.

As most people said, work with the bike and find your best arrangement.

See you on the road!

Spiros

·
Registered
857 Posts
I am 6'1" or so and ride in the lower position. I have about a 30" inseam. I have tried the upper position but I do not like the feel of the bike at the "high" position. I have an 05 and have about 20k on her.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I'm 6' even with or without hair and have a 32" inseam. I ride in the high position for city and highway. I can make the bike do what I want it to do in either position including the MSF Experienced Rider Figure 8 in the box. It's all in your comfort level.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I took it out for a long ride today and I do like it in the lower position.
However I will probably replace the windshield as I do like to be able to see over it as an option. Thanks to all for you inputs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts