BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I've got a 30" inseam and went with the low seat. I can basically flat foot the bike and back it up sitting on it with the seat in the low position). While I had no problem riding the demo bike with the standard seat (in the low setting), I could not back it up while seated on it. I really haven't put that many miles on the bike yet but thus far, I'm very pleased with the seat comfort (much, much better than what I had anticipated).
I have a low seat on my 2014 RT and when I got it I thought the seat was comfortable, but after putting more miles on it I have the opposite opinion. Now I have a 1/2 inch cushion and an Alaskian sheepskin on top and it is still uncomfortable. As soon as i can afford it I am shipping it to California for a Russell Day Long. I added 3/4 inch to the soles of my boots and it made a big difference.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a low seat on my 2014 RT and when I got it I thought the seat was comfortable, but after putting more miles on it I have the opposite opinion. Now I have a 1/2 inch cushion and an Alaskian sheepskin on top and it is still uncomfortable. As soon as i can afford it I am shipping it to California for a Russell Day Long. I added 3/4 inch to the soles of my boots and it made a big difference.
I have an Airhawk air cushion covered with an Alaskan sheepskin, standard seat on my 2014 RTW. i wear Carhartt boots which have a 1.5 " heel. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, can flatfoot both feet, can generate enough leverage to back up, and find the seat very comfortable for several hours at a time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Now that I can flat foot it with my 2016RT, low stock seat and Timberland Pro Boots i find the stock seat not very comfortable. I've looked at most of the seat manufactures and read many reviews and find that a seat is a very personal thing and what may be comfortable for one person is torcher for another. Most of these seats are very expensive and some require you send you seat in for re-work. It seems like a crap shoot. I was leaning towards Sargent but their low seat is 1/2"+ higher than my stock low seat. Corbin factory is 20 min from home but they don't make a low seat for 2014's and newer and many complain about how hard the seats are. I've heard the BMW group, that ride the George Wyman West Coast to East Coast trip every year, many use the beaded seat topper. The beaded seat adds 1/2"-3/4" to seat height. I'm 5'6" with 29" inseam and wondering if us short folks just have to accept an uncomfortable ride.
Amazon has a beaded seat cover that I'm going to try. $12 delivered. It will give me a good idea if it will work. I ride alone so I thought I could tie the rear part of the beaded seat to the rear of the drivers stock seat, have it pushed back when riding around town and on long rides slide it under my bum. If you think your coming to a challenging stop you could just slide it to the back seat. If it works I could get the higher end ceramic Beadrider seat, and i may find out it works just fine with it on the seat 100% of the time..... Should get it in a couple of days.... I'll report back after testing....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 29 inseam. I have the low seat in the low position. Can't flat foot it cuz the seat is really wide. I was able to flat foot my ducati monster 1200. But those have narrow seats. It's a touring bike, so I understand the wide seats. BMW didn't design the seats with Asian anatomy in mind. But I've had heavier bikes. The rt is probably the lightest bike in its class by a wide margin. I'm on the balls of my feet, but it's no problem scooching the bike forwards or backwards. Maybe at some point I might have the seat shaved a tad. I intalled engine guards

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I had the '13RT and could just get the balls of my feet on the ground (31" inseam) and now with my '17RT in standard seat in low position I can flat foot it. I had a low seat for the '13RT, but did not use it. On long rides the sitting geometry (the bend on my knees) would kill me, not so with the higher sitting position. The '17RT seems to be just right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a '16 RT with the low seat. I was still tippy toed. So I bit the bullet and had Wilbers 30mm (1 1/4") lower shocks. I have been transformed! I no longer get concerned about coming to a stop when there is a camber on the road. It wasn't cheap, but good value for money.
I took the bike out and was a bit concerned about ground clearance. I needn't have worried as much as I did. What I failed to take into consideration was the side stand held the bike close to vertical. Oh Oh. So I took the stand off and had 30mm cut out of it. That solved that. Now the centre stand is 30mm too high. It takes a lot more effort to raise the bike and extra 30mm when empty or loaded. I think that I will put up with that.
Cheers, Peter

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I bought the tall seat when I purchased my 16 RT . I ride with it in the upper position to keep the nose up a bit. I sit flat footed in this config. What I like most is with the nose up a bit I slide forward less when braking. The boys get more breathing room.
I had a Corbin for my old K1300 GT , 09. I had them add an inch of padding as their stock off the shelf seat was lower than the tall setting on stock seat.I requested black thread instead of white when they sewed their name on the side. I liked the look of the Corbin but it was far from comfortable on a longer ride. It sloped a bit forward and it did not cure the bunching up when braking. The only way I would do a Corbin again would be with a ride in custom. But I am plenty happy with the tall stock seat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree. I looked at the FJR & Trophy but both were a good deal taller than the new RT. They're also heavier and have a taller CG so basically win-win (or is that win-win-win:)) for the RT.
I rode FJR's from 2001 through to 2019; I loved them, but as I got older the weight of them began to tell: now on an 1250RT. Very different, but seems equally good.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts