BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the actual seat height of the R1200RT with the BMW "low seat"? Did anyone here need an even lower seat and if so, were you able to achieve that, and how? Whether or not I can get this bike to allow me to flatfoot it may decide if I am able to get this bike, since to have to tippytoe the bike with a passenger on board might just be too unsteady to be feasible? I have a 30 or maybe only now a 29 inch inseam.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What is the actual seat height of the R1200RT with the BMW "low seat"? Did anyone here need an even lower seat and if so, were you able to achieve that, and how? Whether or not I can get this bike to allow me to flatfoot it may decide if I am able to get this bike, since to have to tippytoe the bike with a passenger on board might just be too unsteady to be feasible? I have a 30 or maybe only now a 29 inch inseam.
Hey there. I just picked up a 2014 RT and I have a 29" inseam. With the seat in the low position, I can almost flat foot the bike. I moved the seat to the high position, to make it more roomy when riding and now I can't flat foot it - but it is so light that it doesn't bother me.

I ride two up with my wife and I haven't found the weight a problem. I came off a Goldwing, so this thing feels like a sport bike.

Good luck.

Reactions: Kim Moon

·
Registered
189 Posts
The lowest seat height from the BMW Motorrad Web Site is 29.9 inches for the current R1200RT. Highest setting is 30.7 inches for the low seat. Stats below.
You may also want to try the seat height configurator to give you a bit of an idea.

Seat height, unladen weight
31.7" / 32.5" (805 / 825 mm; adjustable seat height) Standard;

variable seat heights available between 29.9" (760 mm) and 33.5" (850 mm)
(available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)

Inner leg curve, unladen weight
71.3" / 72.8" (1,810 / 1,850 mm; adjustable seat height) Standard;
variable inner leg curve (inseam) between 68.5" (1,740 mm) and 75.4" (1,915 mm)
(seats available as accessories and/or factory options, see an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My current ride is a 750 pound plus Triump Thunderbird. The lighter weight of the RT is one of the things that appeals to me as well as the touring capabiity (and I really like the electric windscreen). I'm hoping that the lighter weight might allow me to feel comfortable even if I am not totally "flat footing". I'm hoping in another couple of weeks that the weather will turn to Spring in earnest and then I can contact some dealers until I find with with an RT that I can demo, both alone and two up.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Keep in mind if you adjust the preload to two riders (two helmets) the seat height goes up some.
The new RT which is lower anyway (bars, pegs & seat 20 some mm lower than previous years) and a low seat make it very reasonable for many more folks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've got a 30" inseam and went with the low seat. I can basically flat foot the bike and back it up sitting on it with the seat in the low position). While I had no problem riding the demo bike with the standard seat (in the low setting), I could not back it up while seated on it. I really haven't put that many miles on the bike yet but thus far, I'm very pleased with the seat comfort (much, much better than what I had anticipated).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I am also curious as to what other "shorter" riders like myself looked at before deciding to buy the R1200RT. The low seat on the Goldwing was attractive, but I find I just really don't want to be buying a 900 pound plus bike, even with the reverse gear. Weight is what made me essentially eliminate the K1600 from consideration.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
I guess I am also curious as to what other "shorter" riders like myself looked at before deciding to buy the R1200RT. The low seat on the Goldwing was attractive, but I find I just really don't want to be buying a 900 pound plus bike, even with the reverse gear. Weight is what made me essentially eliminate the K1600 from consideration.
If you are looking to buy a new bike, or specifically the new watercooled RTs, then you will find that the seat height of these bikes are a little lower (0.8") than the older models, with the same height seat.

For reference, I have a 30" inseam, and I can ride the WCRT with the standard seat in the low position quite comfortably. However, I must quickly add that unlike many riders, when I stop I will have only my left foot down, and I don't have any problem "flat-footing" that one foot. That is the way that I always ride. OTOH, on the rare occasion where I need to back-up, and needs to have both my feet on the ground firmly, I was not able to do so with the standard seat!

My solution is to ride with the low seat (a no cost option, if you buy your RT new) in the high position. That is just a tad lower than the standard seat in low position, and I have a little more contact for both feet on the ground in reversing. In worse case scenario, I figure that, when necessary, I can always move my low seat to the low position (easily done) to give me more contact with the ground for reversing.

In short, I don't think that you are going to find a sports-touring bike with a lower seat than the RT!

·
Registered
290 Posts
In short, I don't think that you are going to find a sports-touring bike with a lower seat than the RT!
I agree. I looked at the FJR & Trophy but both were a good deal taller than the new RT. They're also heavier and have a taller CG so basically win-win (or is that win-win-win:)) for the RT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went from a 2010 Goldwing to a 2011 R1200RT. I also wresetled with the seat height (29 inch inseam). I tried a borrowed Sargent Low Seat, flat footed with ease, but seat became hard as a plank after about 3 hours. Test ride first for a good way before you buy a seat! My RT came with a Russell Day Long saddle which had me tippy toeing or one flat foot at a time. I ended up sending the RDL back to Russell for a rebuild to fit me and a drivers backrest. Added Barbacks, Surburban Machinery Peg Lowering brackets and Illium Highway Pegs. Fits me really well now. Footing is Somewhat better but still not complete flat foot with both feet, but at an acceptable level. Complete package tours as well as Wing. For me the absolutely best fit is the stock 2013 R1200R. Only drawback is lack of fairing and range.
Once you get the RT to fit you, you will love it!!
P.S. Only thing I miss is the electric reverse.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 2005 R1150RT and the seat/bike is tall for me typically moving around parking lots riding two up. I went o Corbin seats and had a custom seat made that moved me back about inch and dropped/lowered me about an 1 1/2". And even lower if I slide forward when coming to a stop...I had them narrow the front of the seat to help...I can stand flat footed now. (My inseam is 30).
If you use Corbin...the best way is to do their driven in service. You make an appointment ride to their shop in the morning, you leave with a custom seat in the afternoon modified as you want for your tush. They send your old seat back by UPS boxed ready to store.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App[/color

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
When I had my 2010 RT I found, even with the low seat in the lowest position, I had to tip toe, or put left leg down first. Occasionally with road slope or uneven ground, I found I needed both legs down to feel comfortable. I added about 3/4" to the soles of my boots and could pretty well flat foot. With my 2014 RT, which is a bit lower, I can flat foot quite easily. Look at adding height to your boots, it works well and is a cheap solution for the vertically challenged.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2015 RT with low seat in low position. I have a 29" inseam and I can "almost" flat foot on level ground. When I put the electronic suspension in "two up" mode I estimate that I lose maybe 3/4" or so. In this mode backing up on a loose surface can be a challenge. I usually have my pillion pull me back :).

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I have a 2015 RT with low seat in low position. I have a 29" inseam and I can "almost" flat foot on level ground. When I put the electronic suspension in "two up" mode I estimate that I lose maybe 3/4" or so. In this mode backing up on a loose surface can be a challenge. I usually have my pillion pull me back :).
i assume the 15s are much lower than the 11's? i was on my balls of my feet with my boots. with a 30mm dropi m almost flat foot.

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
i assume the 15s are much lower than the 11's? i was on my balls of my feet with my boots. with a 30mm dropi m almost flat foot.
Yes, and another member had tabulated the actual seat height spec. for the different models, and here it is: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...-2014-rt-r1200rt-seat-height-2013-vs-2014.pdf

Note also that the geometry of the wetheads, around the rider seat area is a little different than the older models, and you have a more straight down reach with your legs, and that makes the seat height feels lower still.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a 30" inseam and started to wear Carhartt engineering boots. I now have a 31+" inseam and can flatfoot both feet with the standard seat in the low position. If I will not be in the city, I raise the seat to the high position for more legroom.

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

Which R1200RT do you mean?
Even if you knew, that doesn't help too much because you can set the suspension preloads which has a dramatic effect on the height of the seat.
One thing is for sure. In the real world, the new R1200RT LC is much lower than the older model. The slim seat and fairing makes for a much narrower stance allowing the shorter legged to be more confidently planted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Part of the short people solution is this boot. Timberland Pro Series. Not cheap but it's a all day work boot and they guarantee your comfort or your money back after 30 or 90 days. Boot has a more even lift throughout and doesn't make you feel like your wearing high heals. Lift at heal about 1.5 inches and about an inch at the toe. Very comfortable. With the lineman boots that has been suggested i would always bring comfortable shoes with me when I got to may destination. The heal was just too high. These Timberlands are very comfortable. Now not all Timberlands are this high. you need to get the Pro Series.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
My 2011rt came with a low seat and I could almost flat foot with my 28" stumps. I went to a Sargant seat that allows me to tiptoe both feet but is more comfortable. It didnt take long to get used to and doesnt bother me, but I always try to stop on even ground or if not flatfoot one boot only. Its the only thing I miss coming from Harleys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts