BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 K1200LT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all

I've been investigating seat options for butt pain. The bike is awesome for the 105 mile trek to work, but for the last half hour my butt starts aching. I've tried shifting positions, moving around, stretching, etc. to no avail.

Reading up on options (web and here), it seems the sheepskin\bead combination works the best without adding in the extra expense of going with a custom seat. I had the beads on a previous bike (2010 Connie) without much success, but I didn't have the added sheepskin.

Now according to some, the sheepskin goes under the beads cause the heat builds up otherwise (maybe this needs to be flip-flopped in the winter)

My question is this....

It takes a few minutes to put on\take off. I'm guessing this is a necessary evil as if your bike gets caught in the rain, the sheepskin will hold water and I don't know what issues that will lead to down the road.

Any input from those who have dealt with this?

Thanks,
Woody

·
Registered
194 Posts
Instead of trying to put a comfortable bandage on a poorly designed original seat I really recommend you bite the bullet and get your seat completely rebuilt and recovered. The foam and shape are the most important parts, the cover is only for looks and protection of the foam. I had my seat rebuilt by Bill Mayer several years ago and couldn't be happier (Bill Mayer Saddles - BMS Custom Motorcycle Seats by Rocky Mayer). Instead of being narrow and high in the center, my seat is now wider and a bit dished in the center. Makes all the difference for me and my seat foam was tailored to my weight and leg length. There are of course lots of other seat builders including some that regularly appear on our message boards.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had my driver seat 'rebuilt' at Astech seats in Indiana. They added a layer of gel which makes it more ridable for me. I know I'm the unusual rider here in regards to the stock seats, but they work for me. I've crossed the country a bunch of times, and done countless 1000 mile days. But like everything, if you're not comfortable, it isn't working for you. There are so many options and so many smaller companies (I love to support the small guy), do your homework and listen to the experts on this site. The Russel Day Long was too high for me. Another was too hard. Sounds like the bears in Goldilocks I guess. For me, I plan to ride the rest of the life of this LT with the stock seats slightly altered. (217 and counting). Let us know what you figure out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Silverlt2002, if your seat is dished, wouldn't that cause water to puddle right where you're sitting if riding in the rain?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts