BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search to try to answer this question, but so far I have not found the exact answer.

What is different about the '04 and later seats as compared to earlier models? Does this mean that a late model seat would have to be modified to mount on my 2003, or does it mean it would not work at all?

As always, I greatly appreciate any guidance that the esteemed membership might be able to share.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
05 and later are narrower in the nose, slightly less wide in the rear, have a more pronounced taper toward the front, have a thicker lumbar bolster pushing you closer to the bars and a different seat pan that sits lower in the frame. On 08 and 09's, the "soft touch" seat is now standard, it is simply an 05 and up seat with an extra layer of very soft poly foam. The height adjuster bar 05 and up has less "reach", so you can't get as high off the ground EVEN on the high setting. Staples are used to attach the vinyl on 05 and up versus rivets. The rubber bumpers on the bottom are mounted differently. "greige" (gray) was offered starting 05. The vinyl was changed in 05 to a softer look with no fake grain ridges. The 05 and up vinyl is not as slippery. The black color on the 05 is more of a charcoal black than true ink black of previous years. The pan on 05 and up is made from fiber tech instead of molded plastic. The polyurethane foam on the 05's and up is slightly more dense. The comfort seat offered starting 05 and up has stitches and two pressure causing seams exactly where you don't want them - nice! :rolleyes:

I think that about covers it. :yeah: But I may have missed something. :D

Generally speaking, larger guys favor the 99-04 seats where smaller guys like the 05 and later seats.

There is no doubt in my mind that BMW changed the seat JUST since they were getting so many complaints from smaller guys that they couldn't reach the ground when in the showroom. It was hurting sales...

They are all interchangeable with a little modifying/trimming that can be easily done in your home garage.

ALL of them pretty much suck from a comfort standpoint, but then again I have a rather biased opinion! ;)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
RonKMiller said:
05 and later are narrower in the nose, slightly less wide, have a thicker lumbar bolster pushing you closer to the bars and a different seat pan that sits lower in the frame. On the 09's, the "soft touch" seat is now standard, it is simply an 05 and up seat with an extra layer of very soft poly foam. The height adjuster bar 05 and up has less "reach", so you can't get as high off the ground EVEN on the high setting.

Generally speaking, larger guys favor the 99-04 seats where smaller guys like the 05 and later seats.

There is no doubt in my mind that BMW changed the seat JUST since they were getting so many complaints from smaller guys that they couldn't reach the ground when in the showroom. It was hurting sales...

They are all interchangeable with a little modifying/trimming that can be easily done in your home garage.

ALL of them pretty much suck from a comfort standpoint, but then again I have a rather biased opinion! ;)
Ron;..........
As always you are a veritable wealth of information. I never had any doubt.

Have I ever mentioned that I am saving; even with-in the crux of this despicable economic paradigm; up for one of your seats...................... :wave

Keep the Faith and please do B-Safe..................... :cool:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Palerider said:
Ron;..........
As always you are a veritable wealth of information. I never had any doubt.

Have I ever mentioned that I am saving; even with-in the crux of this despicable economic paradigm; up for one of your seats...................... :wave

Keep the Faith and please do B-Safe..................... :cool:
Thank you Kemo Sabe, and we won't make you wait 12 weeks or send 4 E-mails in order to get our attention. :rotf:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ron....do you still use the old fabric on your seats or is it all the new polar mesh? :wave

·
Registered
713 Posts
Having both and 05 seat and a '03 seat in the garage I don't know about the padding and build shape but I can tell you that the seat pans are the same, right down to the part number..........Pete

1 - 7 of 7 Posts