BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seat adjuster missing, got picture? - 2000 K1200LTC

Greetings,

I just picked up a used year 2000 LTC and I there's no height adjustment hardware under the seat. The rider's manual shows a poor-resolution picture and that appears to show a horizontal rod that rotates to select amongst two different heights (a tab is either jacking the seat up, or not). I suspect the previous owner may have removed the metal bar entirely to get the seat down lower. I'm 5'9" and was surprised to find that I can flat-foot the bike. I found the bracket # online, so I should be able to just order one.

Is this a common hack to lower the seat? Could somebody take a picture of the their seat bottom (the bike, not your butt) that shows the bracket and how it's mounted?

Thanks,
Wayne
Austin, Texas

·
Registered
453 Posts
Low Seat

If you have the BMW low seat on your bike, alterations were done to adapt it properly. You lose the ability to adjust the seat. If you are 5'9" and flatfooting it, it is probably the bmw low seat.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Yes this is common enfact I removed mine also. I thought that I keep it but could not find it. I'll look again later. if I find it you welcome to have it. I'm in Austin also so getting it to you will be easy :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, just what I needed. I was wondering how the rod was mounted, and the pictures show it is just pressed into place. I can get the part for just $36 from Lonestar here in Austin, that's cheap enough, but I do appreciate the offers for a freebie.

I love that I can flat-foot the bike, however, the windscreen's perfectly at the horizon when lowered. I was thinking if I put the rod back in and set it to low, that would raise my eyeballs a tad. The windscreen's probably history anyway, I think it's stock and is kinda fugly to look through now. Seems the CeeBaily is getting high marks here, I'll probably spring for one of those, but I'd like to be sure I don't need a -1 height first.

Thanks to reading Craigslist yesterday, I'm out $7500, and I haven't gotten much done at work since! Great forum here by the way...

Thanks again!
Wayne

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
My seat adjuster was broken, couldn't lock it in high position....
Turned out to be a blessing.....
I added material to the frame below the seat to get the height I wanted and discovered it solved another problem....on long rides, my pants would be up in my crotch so I had to stop and adjust..........
By raising the rear of the seat higher than it was meant to go, it took the front of the seat out of my crotch and solved the problem.....
(and my voice is getting deeper again)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out I DO have the low seat - no adjuster for me

I checked the numbers on the seat to the online microfiche and mine is an "823" low seat. This explains why the windshield appears so high in my field of view, the seat's lower than stock. Anyone know how much lower than stock this option was for 2000?

Looks like I will have to order a shorter windscreen, and if the ceebaileys #2-2 is the most loved, I might need a -3 or -4. Anybody have a #2-2 with the stock seat around my height (5' 9", 32 inch inseam)?

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Hey Wayne, be sure to keep an eye on the South Central forums for local happenings.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Wayne,
Those low seats are in high demand, You may want to propose a trade with some one with a standard seat.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Wayne, I am your height with a 30 inch inseam, and I had a Cee Bailey #2 -2, and I liked the windshield, but could barely see over it with the seat in the normal low position when the windshield was all the way lowered. I sold that one, and bought a #2, -4, and I love it. I can see over it with no problem. My wife, however, thinks the -4 creates too much wind for her. Probably if I have to replace the -4, it will be with a -3. I think it will work best for us both. If you have the lower seat, you might consider a -4.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Need a seat adjuster for my '01

One of the supports broke off at the weld. If someone has one they no longer want or need, I'll buy it from you. Send me a PM.
This request is also listed in the classified section.

·
Registered
371 Posts
%^[email protected] !!!!!

Just ran out and looked - don't have one either (on a 99). Damn! Now I really miss it, knowing that I'm missing it!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts