BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We moved to Austin last summer from Boston. Up there, we had a fantastic dealer infrastructure - at least 3 in the area, though my dealer of Choice was MAX BMW in North Hampton, NH. Fantastic organization, both sales and service.

Down here in Austin, not so much. There's one game in town that I know of: Lonestar BMW and my dealings with them have left me cold. With the new locale comes a job with less free time to do a lot of the wrenching I used to do myself. I'm trying to find someone in the Austin area who works on "recent" BMWs (mine, specifically is a 2004 K1200RS, but I have a yearn to get another, probably GS.) Is there anyone outside of Lonestar you can recommend?

Thanks,
Allan

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
ABoyAndHisK said:
We moved to Austin last summer from Boston. Up there, we had a fantastic dealer infrastructure - at least 3 in the area, though my dealer of Choice was MAX BMW in North Hampton, NH. Fantastic organization, both sales and service.

Down here in Austin, not so much. There's one game in town that I know of: Lonestar BMW and my dealings with them have left me cold. With the new locale comes a job with less free time to do a lot of the wrenching I used to do myself. I'm trying to find someone in the Austin area who works on "recent" BMWs (mine, specifically is a 2004 K1200RS, but I have a yearn to get another, probably GS.) Is there anyone outside of Lonestar you can recommend?

Thanks,
Allan
I too am somewhat tepid on Lone Star. I have used them in the past for service and they did the job just fine. I feel that they are quite competent at service, just not very personable. I do feel that they are your best choice in the Austin area. I have not heard anything wonderful about Alamo. In Houston, my choice would be Gulf Coast.
My opinion only, not worth a whole lot.
BTW I used MAX in CT to install new tires on my new K1200LT purchase (2000 model w/8k miles) was happy with them even though I never set foot in the store.
Robert

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Sorry you had a bad experience With Lone Star. They are a small shop that does a ton work. Right now they have a 3 week wait just to get your bike in for service.

There is a small shop about 3.6 miles south of Lone Star.

AUSTIN MOTO WORKS

Steven worked on all the police bikes at APD for a long time & just opened his own shop. Give him a Call & tell him Steve with ASAP Motorcycle Service sent you there.

·
Registered
498 Posts
ABoyAndHisK said:
Down here in Austin, not so much. There's one game in town that I know of: Lonestar BMW and my dealings with them have left me cold.
Wow! Times have changed! They were awesome in 2006...

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
Wow! Times have changed! They were awesome in 2006...
You know the old saying "You can't please all the people all the time". The vast majority of people prefer to use Lone Star. I know of guys that come from Dallas, Houston & San Antonio to use them. All three of these cities have one or more BMW dealers. I also have a few friends that do NOT like Lone Star that is just the way it goes. I have bought 3 bikes from them in the last 7 years & I have received the best service from Lone Star. I find that the owners & staff will go out of there way to help any way they can.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
My results have been mixed, and I have gotten mixed reports on my clutch that have undermined my confidence.

That said, on my last dealing with them there was a problem, and I was worried that I would end up with the short straw. Owner got involved, looked at the situation, and called me the next day to say he was reversing his position based on what he found and apologized for any inconvenience to me. He promptly corrected the situation in my favor.

Bottom line: Everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes feelings get hurt. But when things go truly wrong and ownership steps in to make it right for the customer... That speaks volumes about the organization's ethos.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
While my experience with Lonestar has always been positive, I know every experience is unique. Didn't know about Austin Moto Works, sounds promising. I know Paul Zabor over at Zabor's Motorcycle Repair on north Burnet Rd. does a great job on Japanese bikes (he did what I didn't want to or have time for on my Connie) and he does BMW too. He's a bit quirky but knows his motorcycles. So you have a couple of alternatives. I would probably give AMW a try first since they specialize in BMW. Good luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
In Houston, my choice would be Gulf Coast.
I don't know anything about Gulf Coast's wrenching but I am having an unhappy experience with their parts department right now. I bought a side case cover from them on eBay to replace the one damaged in my recent wreck. The cover they sent is not Light Yellow Metallic like they specified in the listing and verified by part number, but is instead Champagne color. They are gracious enough to waive the 15% restocking fee if I return it, but they say they cannot refund my $30 original shipping charge nor my cost of return shipping. It looks like I will be out about $50 because they won't reconsider their policy and do the right thing. They won't get any more of my business, but since I live in Kentucky they probably aren't expecting me to be back anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts