BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

I need a quick re-education about using the search feature....

I have been trying to search Second Life, but search ignores the first word (second) and just returns results for "life"

I've tried putting the two words in inverted commas, that didn't work.... how do I search a subject with two words like "second life"?

Thanks in advance, I guess the brain isn't as sharp as it used to be...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I find "Search" on here is pretty spotty.

A more effective way is to use Google to search the site. To do this, open a new Google search page, then type this into the search box---->

"second life site:www.bmwlt.com"

But don't type the quotation marks. This search will return the most relevant posts first -- the ones that have "second life" -- followed by less relevant posts.

I use the same technique on Amazon. The Amazon internal search feature is famously bad, but Google is very effective. Just type in your search terms then follow it with "site:www.amazon.com" without the quotation marks.

I had to use quotation marks in this reply because the bmwlt forum software automatically converts anything that looks like a URL into an actual URL. The quotation marks defeats that software feature.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Drone. Your suggestion works well. Appreciated!

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can also write your search words with an apersand: second&life
most serach engines will sees this as an "and" request and return only postings with both words. I use this to search for side&car on other sites and it filters out the car only and side only results. ...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can also write your search words with an apersand: second&life
most serach engines will sees this as an "and" request and return only postings with both words. I use this to search for side&car on other sites and it filters out the car only and side only results. ...
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts