BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I bought two Seagate 500G hard drives. 2-3 weeks ago, my back-up drive (D) crashed and would not write. I took it back to the purchase point, and they sent it back to the company......to be replaced with a rebuilt one or a brand new one. Either way, they told me that it would be a blank one when it came back. That's all fine, I understand. I wasn't too worried.....I still had my primary (C) drive with EVERYTHING still on it......and what would be the chances that it would go bad too, right? Well, 10 days after I had the first unit sent in.....my C drive also crashed with a "write" failure. Now.....I've lost the last 3 years worth (60 to 100 Gigs) of photographs. All of my granddaughters and my grandson’s pictures are no longer available! The same goes for all my documents. I called their customer service department and ended up talking to someone else who then passed me on to someone else who passed me on to the technical department and after installing this LAST drive in another computer (per their recommendation), we have eliminated that it is my computers fault. Both the store where I purchased the drives, AND Seagate have offered to do a "data recovery" to get everything back..........at a cost which could well exceed a thousand dollars. I don't have that kind of money. I'm retired military, lost my job of 12 years, 7 months ago.....with just about zero prospects of having anybody hire me at my age. Trying to make ends meet on unemployment and my retirement benefits just isn't cutting it. And now, they think I should pay BIG $$$'s to get all my documents/photographs back, because of their defective product. There's just something wrong about this..........what has happened to people helping people.......why has it become all about money? Does no one "do the right thing" anymore?

This is a bit like putting all my wifes jewelry and my pitiful pile of valuables in a bank.....and after several years have gone by..........I'm being told that "I'm sorry, but the safe door is stuck and won't open......but if you pay us X amount of $$$'s, we'll hire someone to go thru the back door, open it and see if your stuff is still there".

There is just something wrong with all this...................I've had enough.

Tired, upset and depressed,
Pat

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Patterson;

I concurr whole heartedly..........mine just wet 10-10 and there appears to nothing anyone can do about it...............swell..........back to the abacus and signal mirror...........oh, well.......j

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
All drives fail. It's not a matter of if.. Just when....Sorry youve had a bad experience...

Buy a new drive. Get your computer running again and then get a USB hard disk adaptor..
This will let you plug in your "old" drive and hopefully be able to recover your data yourself..

Now, If it's going clunk, clunk, clunk.. etc.. Then you're done.. Data recovery is the only option... But short of that I've recovered the data off many a hard disk....

Don't let the operating system run chkdsk on the old drive till you see if it's readable as is..So don't start the computer with the old drive plugged in....

John

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am not a computer guy, so to speak, but I have had some experience in this type of thing. I had a desktop that crashed and wouldn't boot up. I went to newegg and got a hard drive docking station for around $30. It will allow you to put a 2.5 " and a 3.5" hard drive into it with no plugs. They just sit in a slot like a toaster (told you I am not a computer guy). The dock then plugs into a USB spot on another computer. Well the Western Digital drive that my desktop wouldn't read showed up as another drive on my laptop and I was able to save most everything. Months later the Seagate drive in my wife's laptop crashed with "unable to read/write" errors (I don't remember everything they said). I pulled it out and stuffed it in the dock and was able to read it and get everything off of it.

Of course this may not work for your issue but it was a cheap way to try to recover data. I don't have the $1000 either. If you are interested and don't have the $ for a dock shoot me a pm and you can borrow mine. It might be worth a try.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so excited, I could just pee.........just got this email....

Hello Mr. Patterson,

We have approved you for free recovery, so please let me know when would be a good time to call you.

Just goes to show.....some folks do have a conscience.

Pat

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Hey, That's great,, But I'll bet you can get that data without jumping thru all those hoops...

If they thought it was going to be a big deal they wouldn't have offered to do it for free..

If I was anywhere close I'd come and do it for you....

John

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MapQuest says you'd have two choices........the 33 minute longer way (but 2.13 miles shorter) at 1999.71 miles ....or the longer way, but slightly quicker 2001.94 miles.

But, thanks for your offer :wave

I'll just be really, really glad when I get EVERYTHING back.

Pat

·
Registered
82 Posts
I work with small businesses and home users and most don't back up at all so I have seen this scenario many times. Although it is unusual to see two drives fail that close together but obviously it happens. What I suggest to all those I work with is that if you have data that you consider PRECIOUS (more than important), like irreplaceable pictures keep copies on three different places - hard drive, hard drive , & DVD. DVDs are cheap, they don't last for ever but at least a couple hundred years. If you don't have DVD writer software get one that does not close the session and allows you to add data to the DVD. /some folks use a Jump Drive but I have seen them fail for no reason also.

my 2 cents

Ralph

·
IBR# 366
16,551 Posts
And make sure one of those extra backups is located somewhere other than where your computer is - like in another building or another city (family members can work well for this sort of thing).

Or better yet, use an online backup service so that someone else takes care of all those pesky details.

No sense having multiple backups sitting right next to your computer when the thieves just take it all, or when the whole building burns down.

Yes, both of those scenarios have happened to friends of mine.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bin doing that for the lat 20-odd years, seagate (sie geht oder sie geht nicht, German play on words, works or works not) Glad to read that you got your memories back. :wave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts