BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say, yesterday on my trip from hell, the alternator quit charging and started to rattle. I made it back to Butte, MT and then it started a high pitch sound. Stopped by a Suzuki shop and couldn't get it to turn over. I can push start it but nothing from the starter. Starter only clicks even with loading it. Renting a U-haul to get back home to fix it myself but wondering if anyone has had this trouble before with the starter or alt. Suzuki thought the alt was freezing up so the starter wouldn't turn the motor. Reverse don't work either. Checked all fuses and wiring. Thanks for the help
Ryan

I forgot, the bike is an 05' LT with only PIAA lights as extra load on alt.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ride going sour--I would think your alternator problems are somehow effecting your starter...however, I had a starter issue that I think is somewhat rare but happened to me. I learned about it from another thread on this forum...if your interested here is a link http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54124&highlight=Starter

I'm sure others will chime in and give better advice...best of luck and keep us posted.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
That does sound like a bearing seized up in the alternator. It connects to the same drive gears in the intermediate housing that the starter does so that would explain the click - but no movement. Sounds like time to replace it. Ths is a first here by the way as I have seen the slip rings wear out but not a bearing go. Looks like you get the honor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What an honor. Thanks! Do I get a trophy or just the experience to separate my bike? Are you saying I should replace the starter at the same time? The clutch was replaced about 5,000 miles ago. Bike has 36,000 on it. Looked at the link, very interesting. I may replace seals and such when I dig into it. I'll keep everyone posted. Later
Ryan

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
turbo66valiant said:
What an honor. Thanks! Do I get a trophy or just the experience to separate my bike? Are you saying I should replace the starter at the same time? The clutch was replaced about 5,000 miles ago. Bike has 36,000 on it. Looked at the link, very interesting. I may replace seals and such when I dig into it. I'll keep everyone posted. Later
Ryan
I did my clutch last winter @ 55,000. Now I wish I had gone ahead and pulled the alternator to give it a good going over, but who knew...? I wouldn't worry about the starter, but then, who knew...? Don't want a double whammy. Maybe just look at the brushes while you are in there.:p

·
Registered
227 Posts
jzeiler said:
I did my clutch last winter @ 55,000. Now I wish I had gone ahead and pulled the alternator to give it a good going over, but who knew...? I wouldn't worry about the starter, but then, who knew...? Don't want a double whammy. Maybe just look at the brushes while you are in there.:p
:bmw: 1+ on doing a cursory inspection while your bike is apart. I always do it as SOP, and a few times I've found and fixed problems when they were small and easily fixed. Try it, you'll like it. :bmw:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, gutted the bike yesterday and found the bolt that holds the alt driver to the starter clutch assy broke and the driver walked off the shaft. Which in turn, loosened up the clutch assy and tore three teeth off the starter idler. Pics to follow. Later.
Ryan

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ryan,

Thanks for posting the pics and I'm glad you found it. I envy the shop though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts