BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned my windshield and must of had some debri in the sponge . Ended up with some tiny fine looking scratches on windshield. Any ideas on removing them? Thanks Dale

·
Registered
431 Posts
Micro Mesh. Alternatively a small polishing mop in an electric drill with 1st medium compound, then fine compound hard wax.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the OEM windshield or a V-stream - both made from polycarbonate - there's not much you can do since the scratch is actually in a silicone coating. I do know that the Air Force has a method for polishing scratches out of virgin polycarbonate - but they've got very special tools and procedures for doing so.

If it's acrylic - which covers every other LT aftermarket windshield that I'm aware of - you can try the micro mesh routine. I've even seen success using 10,000 grit sandpaper with 3M plastic polish as a lubricant. All depends how deep the scratches are, but if you can feel it with your fingernail chances are you won't be able to polish it out.

Something I've always thought of trying is an electric heat gun to see if you could melt the scratch since it only takes about 300F or so, but my suspicion is you would damage the surrounding area/coating as well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If it is the OEM windshield that came on your LT, you can not polish them out because of the coating that is applied to the polycarbonate. This coating is also the source of fogging on some of the screens.....especially if polishing cleaners such as Plexis is used.

Just be careful in the future to use a clean cloth to clean the windshield. I now just use warm water on a clean cloth towel. Let it sit on the ws until the bug goo is softened. Flood the WS with low pressure water to remove debris and then wipe dry with a clean cloth. Works great and is cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Cee Bailey's sells a polish/cleaner that is UNBELIEVABLE for scratches. I had a garage tipover that resulted in a palm-sized area of scratches (that I could feel with my fingernail dragged across it) that I thought would end up in a need for replacement, spent two minutes with the stuff and it looked brand new. Used it on the whole shield and it erased five years of the tiny nicks and scratches that you pick up from regular riding, left the thing damn near optically perfect.

(as a side note, it also works MIRACLES on auto clearcoat scratches)

not sure if they sell just the polish anymore, but I did see a refinishing kit on their website:

http://www.ceebaileys.com/moto_access/ws_restore_hd.html

Reactions: Anand

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you are talking about the OEM shield, just use some pledge and a clean cloth, it will mitigate some of the very fine scratches

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
After doing some additional research, Micro Mesh DOES make a kit for polycarbonate... It's not cheap, and it still make not work with the silicone coating - but here's the info:

inst_48PolycBooklet.pdf (application/pdf Object)

"There are many different grades of both acrylic and polycarbonate, so testing is
imperative. In some cases, with polycarbonate, less is best and optical clarity may not be
possible. Polycarbonate is much softer than acrylic and is more difficult to repair. It's
like sanding on rubber."

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
ksbaltz said:
If it is the OEM windshield that came on your LT, you can not polish them out because of the coating that is applied to the polycarbonate. This coating is also the source of fogging on some of the screens.....especially if polishing cleaners such as Plexis is used.

Just be careful in the future to use a clean cloth to clean the windshield. I now just use warm water on a clean cloth towel. Let it sit on the ws until the bug goo is softened. Flood the WS with low pressure water to remove debris and then wipe dry with a clean cloth. Works great and is cheap.
I've been using Plexus for 2 years now on my Vstream windshield (Polycarbonate as is the stock shield on an RT) with absolutely stellar results. NO FOGGING whatsoever! highly recommended by the local BMW Motorrad dealer too!

It is not a polishing cleaner it is a waxing cleaner.

It was developed specifically for Polycarbonate. Originally developed for use in the aviation industry - specifically, for cleaning and protecting aircraft windshields and painted surfaces.

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Dale,

Don't understand some of the recent dialog . . . As others have stated the BMW shield is polcarbonate (Lexan) but both sides are covered with a thin clear plastic film. I do not believe this thin film that scratches is a polycarbonate. So any references to cleaning up scratches in polycarbonate would not apply in my opinion unless I am totally wrong and this film is also polycarbonate.

I do not believe the V Stream windshield has an over film.

Do you know if you have a stock BMW windshield ?

BMW windshields:

1. Fog - trapped moisture under the film mostly but on occasion on top of the film.
2. BMW recommends water only to clean
3. The thin film on the BMW windshield ages over time and can become brittle and scratch prone. Thus what may work early on in the life of a windshield may not work later.

My 2 cents . . .

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Yep, confusing to say the least since he never told us what type or brand is involved.

So, here you have all of us trying to help a newb - but we're just shooting in the dark. :cool:

So Granny M - what are we dealing with here? :think:

(btw, the coating on polycarbonate is silicone based, and the V-steam coating is far superior to BMW's.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for the confusion. The windshield was on the bike when I bought it new. It is a 2007. I also called my State Farm agent this morning and they are sending an adjuster out to look at it. I told them I scratched it when I was cleaning it and the agent said that if the adjuster determined it needs replacing,they would replace it. I will keep updates and sorry for the cunfusion. Thanks Dale

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
GrannyMan said:
Sorry for the confusion. The windshield was on the bike when I bought it new. It is a 2007. I also called my State Farm agent this morning and they are sending an adjuster out to look at it. I told them I scratched it when I was cleaning it and the agent said that if the adjuster determined it needs replacing,they would replace it. I will keep updates and sorry for the cunfusion. Thanks Dale

is your deductable less than a new windscreen, and is the "hit" you're gonna' take on your insurance for the next couple years worth filing a claim?

You can get a replacement windscreen for about $250 (Cee Baileys, not sure what others run), make sure you really WANT to file a claim.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
State of Florida is a 100% coverage concerning windshields and glass. It is an also comprehensive claim,so my coverage should'nt go up.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
petevandyke said:
is your deductable less than a new windscreen, and is the "hit" you're gonna' take on your insurance for the next couple years worth filing a claim?

You can get a replacement windscreen for about $250 (Cee Baileys, not sure what others run), make sure you really WANT to file a claim.
I agree. Still check with your insurance first. I know here in IL we have a similar deal where if you have a chip of small crack in your auto windshield they will cover the cost of the repair. But you never quite sure because when (not if) your premium goes up the next year as it has steadily for me they blame it on the countless claims they had to pay on other members.

Ask first it can't hurt.
ride safe

·
Registered
155 Posts
stuff needed a beld sander wiff 36 grit belt and baby oil rub baby oil all on windsheild let it soak in while ya have 3 or 4 garage pops then take sander ans sand the $#!T outa winsheild if this dont work take a 4 inch grinder wiff a wire brush and buff it real good if this workz good if not ya gonna have 2 buy a new one lol all jokes aside got a couple little 1's n mine luckley they dont affect veiw of the road tho good luck slim :rotf:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I've also used Plastic-X with good results. Takes the haze and little spider webs out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts