BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please tell me where to buy a scissor jack like the one in the picture?
Preferably from a brick and mortar store, not online, so I don't waste time waiting for delivery.

Thanks,

Eno

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Well , it is a brick and mortar store, but it is a long drive for you .I got a few things from them this year , they do ship fast . http://www.mile-x.com/ the lift you are looking for is this one ...I think... http://www.mile-x.com/handy-13008-scissor-jack.aspx . I bought one of these from them http://www.mile-x.com/handy-16999-scissor-jack.aspx . I needed to lift my gear box up , and hold it in place to reinstall it . I also got a Sam 1,000 lift from them http://www.mile-x.com/handy-16000-motorcycle-lift.aspx , it really helped replacing my clutch . Hope this is of help.

·
Registered
244 Posts
zuchero said:
Can anyone please tell me where to buy a scissor jack like the one in the picture?
Preferably from a brick and mortar store, not online, so I don't waste time waiting for delivery.

Thanks,

Eno
That one or one like it is available from any bike lift manufacturer .. that one is from Handy Corp. I believe.
For a store, I believe Harbor Freight should have it.. as they sell a couple bike lifts as well.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Sears has a Direct Lift Black Jack 1000 motorcycle scissor lift. $102.99

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had no idea this type of jack cost that much! $180 for the Handy one and $100 for the Sears one. I buy all my tools at Harbor Freight but I'm not able to find something similar from their web site. I think I'll just use the hydraulic car jack with a thick metal plate on top of it and some additional wood beams in order to lift back of the bike. I hate to spend more than I have to.

Thanks,

Eno

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
zuchero said:
Hi there,

I do have one of those that came with my Jeep but this type of jack has a small contact area compared to the Handy brand. That's why I'm thinking to use a thick metal sheet on top of it to disperse the load.
If your lifting her a$$ end up, then you will most likely use a 4x4, Which will accomplish the same thing. Just make sure you have the front end tied off good to prevent a fall....If you are useing a lift, I used the garage rafters to hold the tail, while I lowered the lift, thus accomplishing the same task..

·
Registered
37 Posts
The small 2-ton hydraulic jack I bought at Harbor Freight works great and it only cost around $35. I can't imagine why a scissor jack would cost so much.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
In the past I have used one a HandyLift Scissor jack (borrowed) and they work every well. However, like others I struggled to justify the cost. I tried other methods, but the stability simply was not there. Soooooooo......

I went to Northern Tool and bought one of their smallest floor jacks and then secured a 23" length of 4x6 to the jack by using a 3" long by 1/2" diameter bolt. There was already a hole in the jack and it fit perfectly once the hole was drilled in the 4x6. I also reinforced the bottom side of the 4x6 with a 3"x3" sheet of 1/4" plate steel for stability. (see underside in photos). I used it recently to change the tranny in Tony's LT and it worked like a champ! Total cost: Less than $25.
:dance:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
+1 on Pastorjack's idea. I used a small Sears floor jack and let the bike sit on a 2X6 on top of some jack stands. I use the small floor jack on all my vehicles. It is very handy and used more than any jack I've ever had........ :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
.....and you still have unlimited use of my Handylift and its scissor jack so you can do 2 tranny jobs side by side just like dueling banjos....!!

cccpastorjack said:
In the past I have used one a HandyLift Scissor jack (borrowed) and they work every well. However, like others I struggled to justify the cost. I tried other methods, but the stability simply was not there. Soooooooo......

I went to Northern Tool and bought one of their smallest floor jacks and then secured a 23" length of 4x6 to the jack by using a 3" long by 1/2" diameter bolt. There was already a hole in the jack and it fit perfectly once the hole was drilled in the 4x6. I also reinforced the bottom side of the 4x6 with a 3"x3" sheet of 1/4" plate steel for stability. (see underside in photos). I used it recently to change the tranny in Tony's LT and it worked like a champ! Total cost: Less than $25.
:dance:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts