BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have a Schuberth C3 and the sheild got badly scratched..

I ordered what I thought was a replacement pair and apperantly it only comes with the Shield and the inner shield is sperate.

NOW the problem is that the original sheild had some form of "sticky" that kept the Shield in place and kept the moisture out.

Has anyone replaced the C3 shield with the pinlock insert?

If so did you have to order a replacement insert?

If not, how did the old insert work on the new Sheild?

LASTLY, shouldn't they sell them as a pair already installed at the factory so that people like me don't f' them up when we try to match the pair togther?

Thanks for your .02 cents.

·
Registered
294 Posts
pauleknight said:
OK, so I have a Schuberth C3 and the sheild got badly scratched..

I ordered what I thought was a replacement pair and apperantly it only comes with the Shield and the inner shield is sperate.

NOW the problem is that the original sheild had some form of "sticky" that kept the Shield in place and kept the moisture out.

Has anyone replaced the C3 shield with the pinlock insert?

If so did you have to order a replacement insert?

If not, how did the old insert work on the new Sheild?

LASTLY, shouldn't they sell them as a pair already installed at the factory so that people like me don't f' them up when we try to match the pair togther?

Thanks for your .02 cents.
1- yes visor and inner pinlock insert -seperate items.
2-The sticky stuff is a bead of sillycone that seals the insert to the visor The bead is on the insert.. If you remove the PL insert many times the sillycone tens to dry up and well-have to be replaced-just the insert.
3- so your visor is scratched-if you cant get the scratch out guess you have to buy a new one-Visor. If the sillycone on the insert is still good then just use it on the new visor.

4-My C3 came with a Pinlock and insert. Yea, you have to purchase both serprately-insert comes in different tinting flavors. Going one 5 years and the sillycone on the insert is still good.

Now, the little pinlock pins-don't lose those little buggers-kit comes with extras- are eccentric in shape. With your reading glasses on-have the little pointer facing towards the middle of the visor on both sides. This is the position for the tightest fit.

Just purchased a Shoei Quest and had to buy PL and insert seperately. Wouldn't be without them in my climate. The visor on the quest is huge and so is the insert-much bigger than the insert on the C3.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MarinPhil said:
1- yes visor and inner pinlock insert -seperate items.
2-The sticky stuff is a bead of sillycone that seals the insert to the visor The bead is on the insert.. If you remove the PL insert many times the sillycone tens to dry up and well-have to be replaced-just the insert.
3- so your visor is scratched-if you cant get the scratch out guess you have to buy a new one-Visor. If the sillycone on the insert is still good then just use it on the new visor.

4-My C3 came with a Pinlock and insert. Yea, you have to purchase both serprately-insert comes in different tinting flavors. Going one 5 years and the sillycone on the insert is still good.

Now, the little pinlock pins-don't lose those little buggers-kit comes with extras- are eccentric in shape. With your reading glasses on-have the little pointer facing towards the middle of the visor on both sides. This is the position for the tightest fit.

Just purchased a Shoei Quest and had to buy PL and insert seperately. Wouldn't be without them in my climate. The visor on the quest is huge and so is the insert-much bigger than the insert on the C3.

So it seems that if the silicone is "gone" or dried up the entire insert has to be replaced...

Is that correct?

I do not see myself putting new Silicone on the insert from Home Depot...

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
You are correct about the silicone drying out and staying with the old shield. I just am in the process of replacing my scratched visor. MAKE SURE YOU ORDER THE CORRECT SIZE they are definitely different. I didn't have any problem moving the insert from the old visor to the new one - I am assuming you've removed the visor from the helmet.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweetride said:
You are correct about the silicone drying out and staying with the old shield. I just am in the process of replacing my scratched visor. MAKE SURE YOU ORDER THE CORRECT SIZE they are definitely different. I didn't have any problem moving the insert from the old visor to the new one - I am assuming you've removed the visor from the helmet.

Yes I removed the scratched outer visor and the inner shield and lost the silicon.

I guess I need to order a new inner shield also.

·
Registered
294 Posts
yes, new both. Price we pay for a proper/no fog visor.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
+1 on what Loren said.... Sucks that you bought another, but IMO it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wish I had known that I should have ordered a pair.

Now I have to pay shipping all over again.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
saddleman said:
I separate my Pinlock at least once a month to clean them.

Dave,

It would not surprise me if you took out the clutch once a month just to clean and polish the surface and the same for the camshaft. :histerica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts