BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my J&M speakers and mic's in a pair of HJC fliip up helmets for 4 years and about 120,000 miles and would like to go to the Schuberth C2 helmets. I would like to purchase the new helmets with new speakers and mic's professionally mounted. Went by the local shop that handles Schuberth and they called J&M to see if they would do it and they said no way, he then called his Schuberth contact and he said that there was no one that they recommended.

I did a search on the forums and see mention of the autocomm but not J&M. As I recall the speakers are thinner and the mic normally goes behind the padding on the autocomm.

Is there a place that I can purchase a C2 helmet with new J&M intercom setup.

Would seem strange if not available as Schuberth is german and J&M makes the intercom setup for the LT.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Search the archives or FAQ as this subjuct has been well documented and the instructions/suggestions on how to do J&M into the Schuberth is there.

Did two for myself so far and it is a challenge but doable if you follow the directions listed on this site.

Doug Holck

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
jsr said:
I have had my J&M speakers and mic's in a pair of HJC fliip up helmets for 4 years and about 120,000 miles and would like to go to the Schuberth C2 helmets. I would like to purchase the new helmets with new speakers and mic's professionally mounted. Went by the local shop that handles Schuberth and they called J&M to see if they would do it and they said no way, he then called his Schuberth contact and he said that there was no one that they recommended.

I did a search on the forums and see mention of the autocomm but not J&M. As I recall the speakers are thinner and the mic normally goes behind the padding on the autocomm.

Is there a place that I can purchase a C2 helmet with new J&M intercom setup.

Would seem strange if not available as Schuberth is german and J&M makes the intercom setup for the LT.
You can do it yourself (this is for an Autocom setup, but should work for pretty much any headset speaker/mic setup):

Or you could contact Jonathan at BMW of North Dallas at 972-881-0774. He can sell you the helmets and do the install. It's not cheap, but he does a great job.

·
Registered
189 Posts
:(
When I put the J&M speakers into my Schuberth C2, I didn't follow the nice pictured setup. However, I will say that unless your C2 has plenty of room for your ears, the method described may not work. I had to remove some of the material where the speakers sit so that they are almost flush with the pads. Otherwise, you'll have severe ear contact with the speakers and while they do have little foam pads on them, it will still hurt. And, there's really not a good place to attach the cords to this helmet. The J&M setup is for a helmet that has a very thin edge at the bottom. The C2 is not thin there, in fact it's really thick. This was a very difficult install for me, but I finally got it all attached and now it works great. There are a couple of small pieces of duct tape holding the original lining in place, but no one sees that but me.;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did my C2 with J&M headsets

I did it and it was a challenging install, I used a dremel with a pencil goosneck thingy,,,,brain fart....what ever it is called. You have to remove alot of styrafoam, and bought a long boom mike from J&M and lower cord for my Autocom pro sport, works great for me. The first pic is with the collar on the 2nd is with out and 3rd is side view of the plug mount.

Oh, and use a popsicle stick to help peel back the linning.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Triker said:
However, I will say that unless your C2 has plenty of room for your ears, the method described may not work. I had to remove some of the material where the speakers sit so that they are almost flush with the pads.
Very common; I did, too, in my C1.

One additional suggestion: Before taking the helmet apart, put it on and slide your finger up alongside your ear. Locate that little skin flap over the ear canal with your fingertip, then try to transfer that location over to the cheekpad. Remove the helmet while continuing to keep your finger on that "spot." That's about where you want to center the speaker to obtain the best audio performance.

I'll betcha a couple KK's that the place your finger is at is *not* centered in the Schuberth's speeaker depression in the styrofoam. I had to dremel out a *lot* of styrofoam to get the speaker hole down and forward far enough to put the speakers directly over my ears.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Speaker Install for Concept

Installed Autocom speakers in my C1 (several years ago) - called the installer guys at Autocom for advice they said their trick was to take a screw driver handle and a hammer and once the foam is out of the helmet to pound the foam down to fit the speakers with the rounded portion of the screwdriver handle. Thus they did not alter the structure (legal issues ??) as much as a dremmel tool would and they could deform the foam just right. Apparently the foam is compressible and does not rebound. As Mark stated getting the exact location is extremely important.

My brother sent his helmet (C1) in to Autocom and for $25 they installed his speakers - I believe these guys will install just about anyones speakers. Jut a little extra for freight and you are there!!

I have since abandoned speakers and use music grade ear plugs - about 1000% more effective for listening to your pillion, CD, radio or iPod!!!

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
VincesBMW said:
I did this myself, it's not that hard took me about 45 min. per helmet

I picked up a C2 about a month ago. I have owned 3 C1s prior but had gone back to Arai because I could never get my C1s to fit as well. Not bad but not Arai comfy. However, I always missed the features of the Schuberth so I was excited about the C2 when it was released but I waited until enough people had reviewed them and convinced me that the ear comfort would be better than the C1.

I ripped my C2 apart the first day to install my headset. It was no worse than the C1 as far as installation, just different. The cheek pads are easier to get out than the C1 but accessing the speaker hole in the foam is more difficult because you have to remove more of the cover and it's all glued down vs. the Velcro on the C1. I could do another C2 headset install in 30 min now that I have done one.

The good news is the speaker placement is perfect for me on the C2. The C1 had them too far back for my ears. I did have to remove 2mm-4mm of material in the shape of my speakers so they would mount flush in the foam. A wood burner or soldering iron works wonders for that. Just don't burn the cheek pad cover.

I've taken one long trip with the C2 including several 12 hour days. I love it! It's never going to be a 100 on the comfort scale like my Arai Signet GTR was (100 means you forget you have a helmet on, even after 24 hours) but it's a good 90 on that scale.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts