BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just installed a Scala Rider Teamset to me'nthemissus's helmets connecting my Zumo 500 and cell phone. The system makes the Zumo "come alive" and works like a charm. The stereo headset speakers fit snugly under the helmet lining and the mike dissapears into the front section of the fullface with ease. The clarity of the system in brilliant, even at speed. If you've been thinking about a bluetooth system, look no further than this setup. It's too easy to install - even I could do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Allen, have you been on any long trips with the system yet. There was some concern with battery life. I'm very interested in buying the system myself, but from what I hear, the battery life on the box is highly optimistic. What has you experience been regarding battery life?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
What has you experience been regarding battery life?
I have the same setup with my Zumo 550 and agree with birdman, the scala team set works great! In my opinion it sounds just as good as my autocom for voice conversation. The VOX did take a little getting used to but now that we have used them awhile, no problems.

We used ours on a recent trip to Myrtle Beach (approx. 8 hours with stops) and did not have a problem with the batteries dying. This is using the comm feature only, I have the Zumo give directions through the bike speakers and do not use the headsets for music, on board speakers for that as well.

Even though the set has two speakers, the system does not transmit in true stereo, so some songs sound weird, like parts are missing (due to some instrumentals being separated from L & R). If you use an iPod or the built in MP3 player of the Zumo, you can convert the MP3 into Mono and solve that problem. I imagine the battery life may be shortened if you use the headsets for music, but not sure by how much. I would imagine close to the 7 hour talk time as claimed by the manufacturer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Ekim said:
I have the Zumo give directions through the bike speakers and do not use the headsets for music, on board speakers for that as well.
How did you set that up?
I was using the MP3 player in the Zumo with an FM modulator for music and directions through the on board spekers, but I prefer to listen to Satellite Radio. If I could get Sat. and Zumo directions through the speakers that would be cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
Josmas said:
Allen, have you been on any long trips with the system yet. There was some concern with battery life. I'm very interested in buying the system myself, but from what I hear, the battery life on the box is highly optimistic. What has you experience been regarding battery life?
I'm not Allen, but I have the Rider Team Set & have been on a two week trip with it. Battery life is not a problem. A single transformer with a split cord charges both units as you rest. No need to unbolt from the helmet, the units clip to the mount & slide off in a second when you're charging. I used the Zumo bluetooth feature & the intercom with my wife all day, every day, with a final 825 mile run to the house that took nearly 17 hours. The Team Set was still talkin' when we got home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
birdman said:
Hi All
Just installed a Scala Rider Teamset to me'nthemissus's helmets connecting my Zumo 500 and cell phone. The system makes the Zumo "come alive" and works like a charm. The stereo headset speakers fit snugly under the helmet lining and the mike dissapears into the front section of the fullface with ease. The clarity of the system in brilliant, even at speed. If you've been thinking about a bluetooth system, look no further than this setup. It's too easy to install - even I could do it!
Can you post something on the functionality of the system with the cell phone connected? My Motorola isn't compatible with the Zumo, but a future phone may be. I know the Zumo commands take precedence over the intercom, but where in the hierarchy does the cell phone fall?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
How did you set that up? I was using the MP3 player in the Zumo with an FM modulator for music and directions through the on board spekers, but I prefer to listen to Satellite Radio. If I could get Sat. and Zumo directions through the speakers that would be cool.
Joe,



Hope that helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New Radio?

Ekim said:
Joe,



Hope that helps!
Hey Joe, I've never seen a radio like that! Mine is a bare face with a slot for the CD - all tuning is done on the dash panel. That AUX jack in the front makes life too easy. Maybe we need to now all change radios!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top