BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
That looks like a good price. I have owned the Q2 Multiset for about a year and Iove it. The G4 adds some nice features and looks really good. Now with stereo connectivity and rider passenger conference calling to/from cellphone. How cool is that.

I use my Q2 pretty much every day and it works great. I hate when I forget to charge it and it dies during my ride. Hard to be without it. The noise reduction is incredible. Everyone I talk to on the phone tells me it sounds like I am in my office.

If you get the G4 let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi , Thought i have to give my 2 cents worth. Before I really knock the product I deleted my response to you guys to see what scala co says or if there is an upgrade onits way.
Ie. Read between the lines and wait or check it out before buying.
Will post my complete review shortly

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
While I like the idea of no wires, BT units attached to helmets just doesn't cover all your needs when traveling with more than one or two other bikes. To cover that you need either CB nadn/or GMRS/FRS radios. When they get a good BT unit that goes under the seat and will connect to BT helmets and wired to CBs and/or GMRS/FRS radios, I'll be ready to make the switch.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
As some of you know, I've been drolling of the new Mutlitrada and the GS Low for sometime now. I sold my Baehr intercom off of the LT in preparation for the eventual switch. With the oney burning a hole in my pocket, I bought the Scala system this week. Be honest, got mine on Friday and was a cinch to install. Synched with a Palm Centro and Zumo 550 real easy. Plugged in my Ipod Touch and had great sound out of the speakers.

Still trying to get the FM radio to work with my Sirius. Changing stations is hard to do with out a display. According to the manual, the headset is supposed to pick up the station with the strongest signal. I thought the FM transmitter in the Sirius two feet away would qualify but I haven't had any luck yet.

Rode around for about an hour last night- no problem. Let's see what happens this afternoon.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I bought the Q2 and was so unhappy with it, I brought it back to the store. The two reasons I was unhappy were the sound quality was poor, but I understand with the Q4 it is much improved with the stereo so I am willing to re-consider on that point. The second reason I was unhappy with it, was the placement of the module on my helmet. In order for the mic to be placed correctly, the module was at the point on my helmet where I grab and use for leverage in putting and taking off my helmet. Maybe I did not give it enough time, or develop a work around. So I ask those of you who have these units, did you have the same issue with helmet placement and removal and how did you work around it? For reference, I have the HJC Symax 2. Also, any one have any experience with Camos to offer a comparison? I would be appreciative of any input, as I really like the idea of these units. As a side note, I owned a Baehr a few years ago which I really loved in every respect. I mentioned that to the salesman/owner of the store where I bought it and he said having owned a Baehr, I probably would not be happy with the Scala. He said while the Scala is a very good unit, the Baehr is infinitely better. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Gizmo, I have the Q2 multiset installed on 2 Symax II modular helmets. Everything was awesome when I first installed it EXCEPT for the MP3 use. I finally cut off the speakers and pitched the tinny little btards and in their place installed a 1/8" stereo speaker jack to which I plug in molded earphones. The combination of the molded earphones and the jack have made all the difference in the world. I can listen to my IPOD at the same volume I listen to it at home with perfect clarity. I was listening to a song the other day going 65 mph and could hear the flautist draw his breath. Very nice.

The best part of this mod is that you can plug ANY set of earbuds into the helmet for casual riding partners. If I have a passenger who is going to spend the day with me I carry a spare mold your own earphone kit in the trunk. They are EarFuze brand and take less than 30 minutes to mold a custom set of earphones.

As far as mounting to the SII I was able to install the mic using the removable system and place the mic in the proper position for conversation. I haven't had to make any changes since I first placed the mounting unit on my helmet. There is apparently a longer mic boom which I must have that allows use with modular helmets. The chin bar does need to be in the lowered position to remove/install the little ovoid shaped control unit.

I posted a how to article in this forum about a month or so ago.

As far as the Baehr unit being infinitely better I can't definitively offer an opinion as I have not tried the Baehr. It had better be pretty damned good if it is infinitely better than the Q2. I don't know how I could be much happier than with what I currently have.

Loren

Gizmo1137 said:
I bought the Q2 and was so unhappy with it, I brought it back to the store. The two reasons I was unhappy were the sound quality was poor, but I understand with the Q4 it is much improved with the stereo so I am willing to re-consider on that point. The second reason I was unhappy with it, was the placement of the module on my helmet. In order for the mic to be placed correctly, the module was at the point on my helmet where I grab and use for leverage in putting and taking off my helmet. Maybe I did not give it enough time, or develop a work around. So I ask those of you who have these units, did you have the same issue with helmet placement and removal and how did you work around it? For reference, I have the HJC Symax 2. Also, any one have any experience with Camos to offer a comparison? I would be appreciative of any input, as I really like the idea of these units. As a side note, I owned a Baehr a few years ago which I really loved in every respect. I mentioned that to the salesman/owner of the store where I bought it and he said having owned a Baehr, I probably would not be happy with the Scala. He said while the Scala is a very good unit, the Baehr is infinitely better. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
635 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Gizmo, I have the Q2 multiset installed on 2 Symax II modular helmets. Everything was awesome when I first installed it EXCEPT for the MP3 use. I finally cut off the speakers and pitched the tinny little btards and in their place installed a 1/8" stereo speaker jack to which I plug in molded earphones. The combination of the molded earphones and the jack have made all the difference in the world. I can listen to my IPOD at the same volume I listen to it at home with perfect clarity. I was listening to a song the other day going 65 mph and could hear the flautist draw his breath. Very nice.

The best part of this mod is that you can plug ANY set of earbuds into the helmet for casual riding partners. If I have a passenger who is going to spend the day with me I carry a spare mold your own earphone kit in the trunk. They are EarFuze brand and take less than 30 minutes to mold a custom set of earphones.

As far as mounting to the SII I was able to install the mic using the removable system and place the mic in the proper position for conversation. I haven't had to make any changes since I first placed the mounting unit on my helmet. There is apparently a longer mic boom which I must have that allows use with modular helmets. The chin bar does need to be in the lowered position to remove/install the little ovoid shaped control unit.

I posted a how to article in this forum about a month or so ago.

As far as the Baehr unit being infinitely better I can't definitively offer an opinion as I have not tried the Baehr. It had better be pretty damned good if it is infinitely better than the Q2. I don't know how I could be much happier than with what I currently have.

Loren
Thanks Loren, since the Q4 is in stereo I may give it another try and see if I cannot come to terms with the mounting/putting and taking off helmet issue I had. I really want to like such a system because of no cables and a savings of about a grand over the Baehr. I still am interested to hear if anyone has any knowledge and/or experience with the Camos for comparison purposes.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Day two- paired it with the second unit no problem. Intercom works very well! Heard my wife a very clearly and the volume was fine. You could say it worked a little too well. :p

Paired it with my cellphone and was able take and receive calls. Again no problem. Since I don't have voice dialing on my phone, I guess I won't be making any calls while riding. Thank goodness for small miracles. :rolleyes:

Tried to connect to my zumo today and I couldn't get the bluetooth on the Zumo to connect. Yesterday, no problem but today no dice. I will keep trying.

The G4 includes a coil wire that plugs into an MP3 or (in my case) a satellite radio. Sound was fine but I agree- a little on the tinny side. I would like some more bass.

FM tuner sucks!!!!!!!!!! Even in the middle of the largest media market of the US, I could not get a single station.

Do I miss my old Baehr unit- still unknown. If I can't get the GPS to work then yes. If the GPS works with this system, then at this point, I would have to say no.

I paid $480 for the system I have (wish I could have gotten it for the Revzilla's $369 deal). $480- a disappointment. $369- a solid deal.

Again, subject to change.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Steve_R said:
While I like the idea of no wires, BT units attached to helmets just doesn't cover all your needs when traveling with more than one or two other bikes. To cover that you need either CB nadn/or GMRS/FRS radios. When they get a good BT unit that goes under the seat and will connect to BT helmets and wired to CBs and/or GMRS/FRS radios, I'll be ready to make the switch.
This system seems to address your needs: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/biker-com-bluetooth-intercom/

FWIW, I went with the Interphone F4 which compares well with the G4. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You asked for it ... YOU GOT IT! BlueBike!

Steve_R said:
Letting your yahs be yahs, and all . . .

HERE YA GO STEVE!!! (Click on the "BlueCenter" link on the left side of that webpage.) Please order immediately, and then post your review so I know if I should purchase it or not. :rolleyes:

No offense, Steve ... but based on your buying habits, I'm guessing you're a bit too "frugal" to be paying for the latest & greatest technology out there. ;) It ain't cheap.

UPDATE: To confuse matters, I found another unit called the "BikerCom "! I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. $749 ... but the review is good (FWIW), and it does EVERYthing!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Re: You asked for it ... YOU GOT IT! BlueBike!

messenger13_ver2 said:
No offense, Steve ... but based on your buying habits, I'm guessing you're a bit too "frugal" to be paying for the latest & greatest technology out there. ;) It ain't cheap.

UPDATE: To confuse matters, I found another unit called the "BikerCom "! I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. $749 ... but the review is good (FWIW), and it does EVERYthing!
Well, Joe, you didn't waste the chance to revert to Messenger13 the original did you! And there may be reasons that I am frugal but that is my choice and none of your business.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've never used one of these and have a few questions that may seem dumb but....

1. If you are listening to wireless music do both headsets (rider and passenger) hear the music?
2. Who controls the music selection, volume, etc.?
3. Can you manually switch off either headset from hearing the music but still use the intercom?
4. Will the rider to passenger intercom still work while the music is playing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I can't speak for those who can stream music via bluetooth.

I currently listen via a patch cord to my MP3 player or Sat. radio (included with the kit). The second person cannot hear the music (unless you use a headset splitter) and must have their own music source. Each rider has their own volume control on each helmet.

When the intercom is activated, it will turn off the music so that the rider and passenger can talk. After a second or three of silence, the music will then be re-engaged.

I synched my helmet to the Zumo so I hear the directions but I don't know if my passenger can hear them too. Interesting question!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
RVB1019 said:
If I can't get the GPS to work then yes. If the GPS works with this system, then at this point, I would have to say no.
UPDATE- got the Zumo to work with the helmet in like three seconds. I had the Zumo in the cradle, synched it by turning on the search feature in the helmet and DONE!

Works great! I'm liking the system better and better each day! :bmw:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Re: You asked for it ... YOU GOT IT! BlueBike!

Steve_R said:
When they get a good BT unit that goes under the seat and will connect to BT helmets and wired to CBs and/or GMRS/FRS radios, I'll be ready to make the switch.

messenger13_ver2 said:
No offense, Steve ... but based on your buying habits, I'm guessing you're a bit too "frugal" to be paying for the latest & greatest technology out there. ;) It ain't cheap.!

Steve_R said:
Well, Joe, you didn't waste the chance to revert to Messenger13 the original did you! And there may be reasons that I am frugal but that is my choice and none of your business.
Steve, you act like "frugal" is a bad word. Last I checked, it is not. (def. practising economy; living without waste; thrifty)

My point was not to tick you off, but to show you and the rest of the forum interested in these technologies that there ARE units currently available out there that do exactly what you requested. Albeit, at a price that some may find hard to swallow. I try to frugal, it just doesn't work as well for me.

BlueBike
BikerCom

1 - 20 of 36 Posts