BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Scala G4 power set a few weeks ago in preparation for the GTL. First imprecision are pretty good. The one down side was the speakers are not that great. With ear plugs in I had a hard time hearing people on my phone. I would have to turn it all the way up just to make out what they were saying. Then the music would blast after the call ended. I thought that Earbuds would be a better option so after a quick search I found THIS MOD to install a female jack to the Scala so you can plug in ear buds. It was a very easy install & I just removed the speakers all together

Now I need a set of good molded earbuds to here the music, phone , GPS etc & was thinking of EARFUZE . Loren had a good write up HERE about them but what has anyone else used?
I like the idea of a molded ear plug/bud as the ones I have for my IPod hurt my ears after 3 or 4 hours on the bike. Plus the are hard to keep in the ears even tho they have loops that go over the ear. They still slip and move with time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,852 Posts
katnapinn said:
I bought the Scala G4 power set a few weeks ago in preparation for the GTL. First imprecision are pretty good. The one down side was the speakers are not that great. With ear plugs in I had a hard time hearing people on my phone. I would have to turn it all the way up just to make out what they were saying. Then the music would blast after the call ended. I thought that Earbuds would be a better option so after a quick search I found THIS MOD to install a female jack to the Scala so you can plug in ear buds. It was a very easy install & I just removed the speakers all together
I did the same thing, except after a while due to the weight put on it the female adapter started having problems, so I soldered the earbuds directly onto the wires from the scala. That worked for me now for the last year, flawlessly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,752 Posts
I have, or I should say had, the EarFuze. The right side went out, so I just ordered another set. Yes, I do like them. I have found that they do not block out as much outside noise as the set of custom ear plugs I have, but the sound quality is so much better than ear plugs and speakers.

I saw an article on DIY molded earbuds that I might try this time around using the material from EarFuze.

I was using them with my Whistler (Camos clone) since it has an adapter for ear buds.
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andy said:
I did the same thing, except after a while due to the weight put on it the female adapter started having problems, so I soldered the earbuds directly onto the wires from the scala. That worked for me now for the last year, flawlessly.
Andy What Earbuds are you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Andy, you are quite right about the female plug having issues. The problem with hardwiring the earbuds to the Scala unit is that if someone else uses the helmet then they can't use he comm system. Unless, of course, the person of the second part is the identical twin to the party of the first part. Or something like that.

BTW, I just soldered the female jack back on the wires the one time it pulled loose.

Loren

andy said:
I did the same thing, except after a while due to the weight put on it the female adapter started having problems, so I soldered the earbuds directly onto the wires from the scala. That worked for me now for the last year, flawlessly.
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wa1200lt said:
Andy, you are quite right about the female plug having issues. The problem with hardwiring the earbuds to the Scala unit is that if someone else uses the helmet then they can't use he comm system. Unless, of course, the person of the second part is the identical twin to the party of the first part. Or something like that.

BTW, I just soldered the female jack back on the wires the one time it pulled loose.

Loren
I attached the Female part to the helmet so it WILL NOT PULL away from the Scala
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top