BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most women will never understand how most men can get so attached to an inanimate object, such as a motorcycle. So, it was with mixed emotions (mostly sad) as I watched my 05 LT drive away from my home for the last time. We had our adventures in the 53K miles we had together and I had just got her all fixed just the way I wanted (Wilbers, custom seat, windshield, etc) when I stopped riding her. 4500 miles in the last 3 1/2 years is why I sold it. A personal situation arose dealing with a relative's eldercare put an end to Sweetie and myself taking long vacations and long weekend together. (Sweetie is my pillion not the bike. I never named the bike.)

Maybe circumstances will arise in the future which will allow us the joy of touring again. I will keep visiting the forum as I want to see how the new K1600's are doing.

I want to thank the members of this forum for all the help and wisdom I have gained from them over the almost 6 years I had the LT. I had a lot to learn, as I had only had Harleys until I bought this bike. This forum is a generous bunch and I have had the opportunity to meet a few on the road or at rallys. A special thanks to Pastor Jack for all his help. A class act if there ever was one.

Yall be safe out there and have fun.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
635 Posts
One never knows the curve's life will throw at us, sorry one has prevented you from doing something you enjoy. Hopefully circumstances in the future will allow you to ride again. In the mean time, I am sure others will agree, you are always welcome here.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
I'll bet you kept your custom license plate for the good memories :bmw: .

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ultra,
I know it's tough to see the LT go....great trips and memories for certain....

You still have your R1200R, right? Hope you check in every now and again!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I purchased my LT when it was just over a year old. It is an 06 that the original owner purchased new in December of 06. I have had it for three years now. I still remember seeing him in the driveway watching me pull away, he was not a happy man. I felt bad for him. At the time I had just sold a jeep I had for 8 years that I had built for rack crawling, so I understood how he felt, I must have looked the same way watching it leave. His wife was no help telling him he still had his 80's siverwing to ride. You are right, they do not understand.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Hey hey hey! Just a minute here! I have an '81 SilverWing! Funny thing though. I can't remember the last time I rode it. :eek: I sent it home with my son in law a while back so it isn't all that handy to ride.

Ultra, there is a special place in heaven for those who dedicate a portion of their life to caring for a loved one with special needs. You are to be commended for your dedication and the sacrifices you have made.

Maybe there is a 1600 in your future.

Respectfully,

Loren

living_free said:
I purchased my LT when it was just over a year old. It is an 06 that the original owner purchased new in December of 06. I have had it for three years now. I still remember seeing him in the driveway watching me pull away, he was not a happy man. I felt bad for him. At the time I had just sold a jeep I had for 8 years that I had built for rack crawling, so I understood how he felt, I must have looked the same way watching it leave. His wife was no help telling him he still had his 80's siverwing to ride. You are right, they do not understand.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Ultra,

Sorry ya had to let go of the bike. I don;t get to ride much anymore, and often think of selling mine. BUt it costs little to sit in the garage for when I do get to go. This year, may only be riding to work to keep the fluids circulating.

Hope the personal situation works out.

Randy

·
Registered
18 Posts
UltraLT said:
Most women will never understand how most men can get so attached to an inanimate object, such as a motorcycle. So, it was with mixed emotions (mostly sad) as I watched my 05 LT drive away from my home for the last time. We had our adventures in the 53K miles we had together and I had just got her all fixed just the way I wanted (Wilbers, custom seat, windshield, etc) when I stopped riding her. 4500 miles in the last 3 1/2 years is why I sold it. A personal situation arose dealing with a relative's eldercare put an end to Sweetie and myself taking long vacations and long weekend together. (Sweetie is my pillion not the bike. I never named the bike.)

Maybe circumstances will arise in the future which will allow us the joy of touring again. I will keep visiting the forum as I want to see how the new K1600's are doing.

I want to thank the members of this forum for all the help and wisdom I have gained from them over the almost 6 years I had the LT. I had a lot to learn, as I had only had Harleys until I bought this bike. This forum is a generous bunch and I have had the opportunity to meet a few on the road or at rallys. A special thanks to Pastor Jack for all his help. A class act if there ever was one.

Yall be safe out there and have fun.

Ultra LT

I also had say goodbye a month ago. Goodbye to my 2002 LT. There are trips that will also be huge in my memories. Certainly, one of these days....a few years down the road, I will purchase again. Heck....by that time, maybe I can find a lightly used 1600 for about $10k.

Anyway, long rides and touring aren't happening at this time and I have opted for a VStrom Dual Sport and a XR650R....dirt screamer. Those two bikes should carry me into my 50's.

I will also stay on the board, as I will have need of info from time to time. Seems my garage has become a bit popular lately. For instance....I am helping a guy on Saturday with his front brakes on his LT.

Anyway.....cheers!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts