BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks!
I just got my new to me 06 K1200LT home and as I have read here, many new bike owners have accidentally dropped your bike. I have installed short strips of chrome tape on the chrome pieces on the saddlebags, on the mirrors and the side rub bars. If my bike takes a fall, the only thing that may be scraped up is these chrome plastic pieces, that I can easily replace for less than $20.00. The moulding I used is called prostripe #M852005. An alternate to this is called protekto trim part # 37-1550 5/8" dish wheel well chrome.
I am hoping I never drop my bike but if I do at least I'll have some protection.
Take care.
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
BRM makes a nice rubber strips for less than $30 for the saddlebags and i think it looks better than just the stock chrome part anyway.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
yep it looks nice I hope you enjoy your LT but here's the but. Dave is spot on, for your protectors to work, the bike would have to be completely on its side, when they go over, mine has now some 10 or more times :eek: they rest on the underside edge of the plastic not the outside egde I gave up replacing them after the 2nd time by the way, Ihope you don't get to try them out

·
Registered
166 Posts
when they go over, mine has now some 10 or more times :eek:

LOL...............I thought I was bad........... 4 times
amazing how well they designed the LT to handle a slow fall without any damage. Like I said 4 times here and a only a couple very minor scratches

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!
I like to take the precautions before it happens, not after. My previous bike, 89 Venture Royalle fell over only once for me. Silly me forgot to put it in gear when parked on a gentle slope. The side kickstand didn't hold and I guess the bike just rolled slowly forward and CRASH! I just don't want this to happen with my new beemer.
Take care!
Jim :toast: :toast: :toast:

·
Registered
3 Posts
i learned the hard way if you use the side stand you should always have it in gear. i spent about $280.00 for the repairs. always, always put it in gear.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
bktaylor2 said:
i learned the hard way if you use the side stand you should always have it in gear. i spent about $280.00 for the repairs. always, always put it in gear.
...and roll if forward (with the clutch out) to take the play out of the driveline before you rest it on the sidestand. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
dmatson said:
BRM makes a nice rubber strips for less than $30 for the saddlebags and i think it looks better than just the stock chrome part anyway.
Website please.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not sure if anyone realized this but...take some fine sandpaper, sand out the small scratches from a fall on the black plastic pads and its almost like new.

I tried it this week and was surprised.

Ron

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
itspossible said:
Not sure if anyone realized this but...take some fine sandpaper, sand out the small scratches from a fall on the black plastic pads and its almost like new.

I tried it this week and was surprised.

Ron
and then finish with a little WD-40 or any rubber enhancer. Rubs out all the fine lines and looks like new.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Ha ha! if I tried to sandpaper my scratches out Id'e rub a hole through them and then I would holes and scratches :D

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
DaveDragon said:
--------------------------------
The Chrome Strips on the saddle bags are relatively inexpensive but the tape may help a bit.
The chrome saddle bag strips are over $80 each. Not inexpensive to me. Plus they are a witch to remove. Anything relatively cheap that will reduce damage to them is very worthwile.

·
Registered
226 Posts
dshealey said:
The chrome saddle bag strips are over $80 each. Not inexpensive to me. Plus they are a witch to remove. Anything relatively cheap that will reduce damage to them is very worthwile.
Been riding for 30 years but in the first two weeks of owning the LT, I discovered you cannot use the front brake while turning at very low speeds. THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT and there's volumes written about it on this site.

The first time I did it was on my lawn, no damage to the bike whatsoever, I did bruise my ego as my neighbors were watching me drive my new (giant sized) bike.

The second time it was on a city street as I tried to go to the right around cars stopped for a light, so I was going slow.

I scratched the chrome strip on the saddlebag. IT IS EXPENSIVE!

I got the BMR strips from Rafi at this link:

http://motogear4you.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=21

The strips work perfectly - I haven't dropped the bike since I put 'em on!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Dave:
I don't know where you found the crome strips for the sadel bags for $80 bucks . But up here in Canada they want over $200 . I already have damage that I am trying to hide I think I am going to invest in that rubber trim fro BMR . Thanks to Razmataz

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The black plastic covers on the front crash bars are faded from this Texas sun. Any way to get them back to black?....... :confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did the same thing years ago, but not with chrome strips, but with black rubber material from Pep Boys (Bumper strip stuff) that I trimmed, beveled, and stuck over the chrome strip on the saddle bag. It looks like stock, and better then that battered chrome on the bag. And, if it goes over again, I have another 10 yards of the stuff left over to do it again. Much cheaper than replacing the stock chrome piece.
Any automotive rubber conditioning product will help keep the rubber black, both on the bumpers and, actually, any other rubber part on your bike. I use Adam's, but others work just as well.
Rick

·
Registered
129 Posts
I purchased the right hand bag chrome strip back in 05 sharing the cost of the $80 bucks with the guy I bought the LT from. I held onto it thinking I'd probably drop her one or two times myself, then would invest in the right for a complete set.

But since then, I've lost her going away from me a couple of times to the point I decided to go with BMR's rubber protectors at the 08CCR, but, I only had Brett put the front portions on and not the smaller pieces that curve around the corners, so it has alittle better consistantcy with the front tip-over covers. (pics included).

As for the one question above about reconditioning the front tip over covers, a friend of mine has a Auto Restoration shop, and shortly before the 08CCR I pulled mine off, used a DA with 150 to smooth the rough edges down, then Doug took them in the spray booth and gave them a couple of coats of a bumper type paint that made them look like new again (with the exception of the scuff underneath, but at least they don't look all dry'd out anymore.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts