BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sort of a strange issue/request/offer here. Three week ago I bought a 2018 R1200RT which came with a Russell Day Long Touring Saddle, main and pillion. On my three previous BMWs ('01 GS, '06 RT still in the garage, and '10 K13GT) I've had Rich's custom seats. Love 'em, and I have an appointment on the 27th of August to once again get Rich's seats made for this RT. He can work with Russell Day Long seats since they, too, are built using the original pans from the stock seats. However, that means trashing the very nice leather vinyl covering and tossing the internal structure Russell puts in their customized work. So, I was thinking, 'why trash the Russell if I can find someone with a '14 -'18 RT who has thought about sending their stock seats to Russell but has balked perhaps at the cost or the missed riding opportunities while their seats are in Northern California and their bike is in the garage?' And, it would be better for me to show up at Rich's with stock seats anyway.

So..., if there is anyone in the South Texas area who would like to consider a swap for my Russell seats with their stock seats, let me know. The only change needed is the lock cores on the pillion which is easy since they come out the same way as they do on Yakima or Thule racks. That would be the only change needed. Anyone interested???

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I were in South Texas, I’d sure be interested in more details about the swap conditions ($). Especially if it involved a trial ride with that particular Russell seat (since they are a custom build). Do you know anything about the previous owner’s dimensions?

Paul

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s in perfect condition. Not a clue about the guy who had it done. I’m 5’ 11” and 180. It fits me fine.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I were in South Texas, I’d sure be interested in more details about the swap conditions ($). Especially if it involved a trial ride with that particular Russell seat (since they are a custom build). Do you know anything about the previous owner’s dimensions?

Paul

Paul
If you email Russell with the serial number they will provide you with the build details.
And so they did. The person it was built for was 6'2" and 190 lbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would ship out my 2018 RT front and back seat (1600 miles on them) minus the tumbler, tomorrow with a return prepaid shipping label. You could just put the RDL in the box and send it off. If you ever get to Asheville, I'd buy you dinner......If you don't like my seats, just return........

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I don’t want to use the mail. Bike to bike is the way I’ll do the swap. And you may reconsider anyway. The my original post said the Russell seats were leather. They’re not, they’re vinyl. The Rich’s seats will be leather. Yeah, sorry for the bad info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don’t want to use the mail. Bike to bike is the way I’ll do the swap. And you may reconsider anyway. The my original post said the Russell seats were leather. They’re not, they’re vinyl. The Rich’s seats will be leather. Yeah, sorry for the bad info.
I understand but, if you change your mind the offer stands.I'll also include some great rides around Asheville.......

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where in South Texas are you and is this a straight swap or do you want some cash with this?
Thanks,
Lee
I’m in Kerrville. Straight swap, Russells (heated) for both stock seats (heated), no cash. Just need to change the lock cores.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’d be all over this via mail/UPS if your local option doesn’t go through. I’m in Iowa…happy to discuss options via phone. PM me for my number. Please let me know. Extremely nice opportunity you’re offering!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts