BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the radio off the bike and wondering ....do i have to order a special wire for the aux to run my sat ?

·
Banned
144 Posts
I would suggest a 3.5 male end to a 3.5 male end "Monster" cable. I have used the Monster brand cable as this one offers superior shielding. The 6' cable should do the trick.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you are using sirius you wont need a cable. The sat radio transmits fm freq. just choose appropriate freq on radio and there you go. I have sat with no direct connections to radio. Works fine.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
sgttj said:
If you are using sirius you wont need a cable. The sat radio transmits fm freq. just choose appropriate freq on radio and there you go. I have sat with no direct connections to radio. Works fine.
One big problem with that is as you travel and get in a area that has a strong radio station on that channel you WILL loose satellite reception. It a real pain to try to find a open channel on the fly.I use an FM antenna hard wire on the bike & the Aux. plug in my truck. Both work great.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe I am lucky but I have had sat radio in a least one of my vehicles for the past number of years and have never come across the need to change freq on radio. The sirius radios come with an external ae for transmitting the signal, so if you put this as close to radio as you can there is almost no chance of interference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I went to put my Sirius Sportster 5 on my bike the Sirius people recommended that I either use the the direct AUX connection or the direct to the FM antenna electronic switch input. They have reduced the output signal strength of their new radios because of "bleed over" problems to nearby vehicles at stop light. I have the bike setup for
AUX and the car with the direct to the FM antenna lead. The inline box switches off the antenna input and injects the sirius signal in on a user preset input. Both work very well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just installed XM XPRESSez on my 2009 LT. Installed mounting bracket on the brake reservoir. I ran all wires under the R/H handle bar covers. I tie-wrapped the power converter under the instrument panel top cover. Just be sure it won't get snagged when the wind screen move up or down. I picked up power from the map light. To plug into the AUX port I removed the R/H Tupperware and threaded the cable across the R/H side of the fuel tank. With the Tupperware off the R/H side you can see the R/H rear side of the oddments box. I then drilled a hole from the outside of the box and slid the cable inside. Plugs right in. Probably spent about 2 hours taking my time. I love my satellite radio!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
PHILBERT40 said:
I would suggest a 3.5 male end to a 3.5 male end "Monster" cable. I have used the Monster brand cable as this one offers superior shielding. The 6' cable should do the trick.

Good Luck.

+1

If you have a tank bag, you can throw the radio in the bag and mount or lay the antenae on top of the bag.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
katnapinn said:
One big problem with that is as you travel and get in a area that has a strong radio station on that channel you WILL loose satellite reception. It a real pain to try to find a open channel on the fly.I use an FM antenna hard wire on the bike & the Aux. plug in my truck. Both work great.

Now that I have the BMR and not using the aux, IT IS A PAIN to look for another station whilst trucking down the highway, not to mention it is dangerous!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts