BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay after 3 months on the LT I decided to visit my local Honda shop. I love the LT but it's tough not having a dealer within 120 miles.

I will ride the LT as long as she doesn't break the bank on service charges. Then it's a Gold Wing I'm afraid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
I live in Waco; the ride to Lone Star in Austin is about 95 miles. Worth the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What has me concerned is I have 5,000 miles on the LT. I read about $1,200+ charges for 12K/24k etc. LT scheduled maintenance. My Gold Wing friends tell me owning a GL1800 is like owning a car.

Goldwing= Oil changes.....Tires....30K checkup (maybe $300)....oil changes...tires..oil. it just seems like a lot easier. Plus I would love to travel to Northern Wisconsin to visit my family. I worry about the fact that BMW motorcycle dealers are few and far between on the 2500 mile round trip. And with Gold Wings, if you see a McDonald's, there is probably a Honda dealer near by.

Love the LT but it is something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
JON,

I live south of Tyler and am on my 2nd LT. I had a 2000 LTC with 90,600 miles on it until it was totaled by a woman doing a left turn in front of me. My current 2003LTE has 76,000 miles on it. I only go to the dealer for warranty items and some parts. I get many normal parts online from auto parts stores. ( Plugs, oil filters, etc)

I am a former GW owner also...had 3 of them before the first LT. I really don't find much difference in the cost of maintaining the LT. Actually if you consider the difference in gas mileage, I would bet I have spent much less on the LT's.

PM me if you like and we can exchange phone numbers. I can help with where to get things.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
When I bought my LT last year I was concerned with all the FD threads here and the slave cyl issues.
I was ready to head from Missouri to Idaho and was having second thoughts.
I posted something to the effect "having 2nd thoughts" the overwhelming majority of responses were "shut up and ride" I took the LT on 3,500 mi in basically 5 days of riding. What a blast. How many BMW dealers are in NE, WY, and MT?
Join the BMOA get the anonymous book and go.
It's a good thing I'm too tall to fit on a wing. I would have missed out on the LT. :bmw:

The bike will do fine. Make sure you are ready for the trip.. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
EastTexasRider said:
What has me concerned is I have 5,000 miles on the LT. I read about $1,200+ charges for 12K/24k etc. LT scheduled maintenance. My Gold Wing friends tell me owning a GL1800 is like owning a car.

Goldwing= Oil changes.....Tires....30K checkup (maybe $300)....oil changes...tires..oil. it just seems like a lot easier. Plus I would love to travel to Northern Wisconsin to visit my family. I worry about the fact that BMW motorcycle dealers are few and far between on the 2500 mile round trip. And with Gold Wings, if you see a McDonald's, there is probably a Honda dealer near by.

Love the LT but it is something to think about.
I just spent $143.00 for the supplies for a complete fluid change, and all new filters. I will do the work myself, not that hard to do.
Just get a service manual and go for it. Follow all the specifications and you will have no problems.
If you do, hop on this site and ask or search the threads, you will find your answers.
Granted, I'm a certified HD technician, but this is not a HD. It's just a four stroke machine same as your car. If you have worked on your car, don't be afraid to try this.
Good Luck!
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
justlookin said:
When I bought my LT last year I was concerned with all the FD threads here and the slave cyl issues.
I was ready to head from Missouri to Idaho and was having second thoughts.
I posted something to the effect "having 2nd thoughts" the overwhelming majority of responses were "shut up and ride" I took the LT on 3,500 mi in basically 5 days of riding. What a blast. How many BMW dealers are in NE, WY, and MT?
Join the BMOA get the anonymous book and go.
It's a good thing I'm too tall to fit on a wing. I would have missed out on the LT. :bmw:

The bike will do fine. Make sure you are ready for the trip.. :)
I DON't mean to sound rude but like Jeff was told "Shut up and ride" Bitching and moaning about "WHAT IF" will not get you anywhere. Before I go for a long trip I contact members of this forum and let them know I'm passing threw there part of the world. I have and get phone numbers of said members. "IF" (and that a BIG if) I need help on the road a make a few calls , a few posts are made here for help and I'll be back on the road . Enough said. If you always worry about what might happen then sell the LT and buy your Civic oops I meant GoldWing. :rant:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
EastTexasRider said:
Okay after 3 months on the LT I decided to visit my local Honda shop. I love the LT but it's tough not having a dealer within 120 miles.

I will ride the LT as long as she doesn't break the bank on service charges. Then it's a Gold Wing I'm afraid.
Are you seriously shopping for a new motorcycle after owning yours for only three months because it MIGHT break and you are not sure what to do IF that happens?

If I could put all this angst in a bottle, I could solve the oil crisis. If this kind of stuff really worries you that much, you should buy a new motorcycle. Seems silly to me....to each their own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
If this is truly an economic decision, you are probably better off with a Wing...if you consider mtce, resale, etc....although the difference in gas mileage will change this depending on much you ride. On the same note, you are actually much better of on a 125 cc scooter on all of the above counts.

The point is that we don't buy motorcycles as an economic decision...a whole bunch of emotion enters into the equation. The LT does a whole lot of things for most of us that the Wing does not, be it looks, handling, or feeling we have a real motorcycle versus a two wheel Civic designed by a committee. Each can only make this determination on an individual basis. If you really like the LT you will justify it; if you don't you will find a whole lot of reasons not to...it's really your call. It's 75 miles to my BMW dealer...the Honda dealer is 3 miles away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Not everyone wants to do their own oil changes. That being said a GL1800 can be in and out the shop door in about 15 minutes for an oil and filter change.

My old 1800 got 5.7 L/100km vs 4.6 L/100km on the BMW. Wing takes reg gas and BMW uses premium which is about 12% higher price at the pump.

The wing will be cheaper to run over it's lifetime assuming neither have any mechanical failure.

I have observed about a 4 to 1 cost difference for things like a 10k service.

Many years ago when I owned a BMW 2002tii car, if it went in for service I would guess the most outrageous price possible and then double it. That was often pretty close !

By the way I traded in my Wing for my LT. Do I regret it ? Only when I am paying the bill at the shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
Not knowing much about the cost of servicing a GW;
I abuse the sh1t out of my LT. It has not seen a BMW dealership since I have owned it.

In other posts I b1tch about the labor associated with pretty much all services.
I also complain that a bike which costs so much should have been engineered/ designed with a few more user friendly details.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about any issues until they happen.

I am in the same boat as you, my nearest BMW shop is 100 miles north, 140 miles south.

As I will probably not own another BMW, the beast certainly does what I want it to at speed.
I totally hate the machine at stop signs, parking lots and slow speeds.

The LT is just not the bike for all riders.

But if you want to ride a different machine than the masses are on, the LT fits the bill.
Any beginner can ride a Harley or a Wing, that is the main reason so many are sold.
The majority of BMW riders are experienced seasoned riders, unlike the other brands.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top