BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of putting sat nav on my k1200LT . Can anybody reccommend a system and the bits necessary to mount it to the middle of the handle bars above the radio cover thanks plibou.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 550. I like it. There are many mounting options. Go to past treads tp see what would work for you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just use your smartphone and Google maps.. Best navigation out there, IMO

·
Registered
689 Posts
Smartphone and Google maps is horrible. I can spend hours waxing on about why it is, but I'll leave it at this. First, that setup is far too reliant on data connection of the phone. Second, Google maps plots out your route to get you there quick, which is so not the point on a motorcycle.

I've got a Garmin Zumo 660 and love it. It's very reliable and paired with a Bluetooth headset plus some MP3s loaded on it, it's an entertainment center as well. If the MP3 player isn't important, there are cheaper alternatives out there.

The 660 actually comes with a RAM mount system in the box that will work if your bike has round bars. I'm not sure on the LT, but my RT has flat bars so I had to improvise the mounting system.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Garmin 660's are cheap right now, get on learn basecamp and you are all set. Mounting is a little more difficult, you will need to get the BMW mount and then wire it to power. All the BMW solution for mounting and power are, well BMW priced.

Learn Basecamp here. http://www.newenglandriders.org/Learn_BaseCamp.htm

·
Registered
187 Posts
Refurbished Garmin 2455LM GPS mounted with velcro to suction cup and the BMW emblem. Great price at Microcenter. You'll need a adaptor for the plug at Parts Express. I had to tin the ends of the wires and retighten them but they are a good quality plug. Less then a $100 for all. I still use a map.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have mine mounted on the post the BMW Navigator goes on. I just added a RAM ball base with a few nylon spacers then put a short arm and used the ZUMO mount.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just use your smartphone and Google maps.. Best navigation out there, IMO
I agree - I use my old smartphone and Sygic navigation, which is quite cheap, has maps to most of the countries and had almost never failed me through my trips in Europe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts