BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a Russell seat on a prior RT and loved it, in fact had it on several prior bikes. But the Russell makes you sit up really high. I"m 6'2" and could just barely touch the ground with both feet!

I have a 2016RT now and I just didn't want to spend the money on a custom seat. I purchased an AirHawk inflatable seat. I love it. Did a 1,500 mile ride to Utah on both twisty roads and long, long straightaways. Never had an problems. I also got my son one for his Suzuki VStrom. He went with me and he loved it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a Russell seat on a prior RT and loved it, in fact had it on several prior bikes. But the Russell makes you sit up really high. I"m 6'2" and could just barely touch the ground with both feet!

I have a 2016RT now and I just didn't want to spend the money on a custom seat. I purchased an AirHawk inflatable seat. I love it. Did a 1,500 mile ride to Utah on both twisty roads and long, long straightaways. Never had an problems. I also got my son one for his Suzuki VStrom. He went with me and he loved it.
I have to agree the airhawk is a life saver. I always have one in my saddle bag just in case i need a change of seat comfort.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I got mine about a month ago and at first it felt like an improvement in some ways over stock, but worse in others. The seating area was more supportive, but the seat cut into my legs a bit, especially when waiting at the stop light.

After using the seat for several weeks, I have either gotten used to it, or it has broken in (or both). I have done a few rides that were a few hours long, and one all day ride that was 387 miles (much of which was twisty canyon roads) over 11 hours.

The seat is not a panacea, but it is definitely an improvement over stock in my opinion.

For ultimate long ride comfort, most talk about Russel Day Long as being the best option, but I can't get over the looks of it, and the fact that the stock seat needs to be destroyed to harvest the seat pan.
Update to my earlier post...

I've now had my seat for about 2 months and I've done a few more all day rides with it (with stops of course). I am now much more used to it and I suspect that it has broken in a bit as well. At this point I am very happy with it.

This past Sunday I was riding with some other folks and I noticed them wiggling around on their seats and standing up from time to time and realized that I would have been doing that in the past as well.

Any reservations I had about the seat are gone and I'm glad I bought it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update to my earlier post...

I've now had my seat for about 2 months and I've done a few more all day rides with it (with stops of course). I am now much more used to it and I suspect that it has broken in a bit as well. At this point I am very happy with it.

This past Sunday I was riding with some other folks and I noticed them wiggling around on their seats and standing up from time to time and realized that I would have been doing that in the past as well.

Any reservations I had about the seat are gone and I'm glad I bought it.
I 'll have to ditto this post. It seems like the type of foam Sarge used does get more comfy as it learns your butt shape.

I have been able to use the knobs Sarge provides for the high position on the low setting of the bike-seat. That works really well for me.

The Russel Seat is another good option, but them folks are crystalized on their one and only construct and dismissing about people's different height.

If you don't mind sitting on a cloud: about 1.5 to 2 inches higher (as they claim their seat will raise you) then the Russel may be for you. My beef with RDL is not its look, it is their unwillingness to accommodate for individuals heights.

Surely, even I can make a comfortable seat at any height. I could use three of my bed's pillow and stuff them in the seat and that would be most comfortable. The seat maker savvy entails making a seat that is comfortable for you without sitting you on a mountain top

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may want to try this:Medium Sheepskin Buttpad®
Cool on summer rides, warm on cool day rides. Had it on my Sargent seat last year. A huge
improvement, and love it.
Wool is the best cover. I have the BMW comfort seat on my 2007 R1200RT. For sheepskin covers tailored to fit, I ordered from Home sheepskin seat covers - (goodwool.com.au). I chose grey, with optional rain cover. Quality and service both A-1, price very reasonable even with shipping. Definitely one of the best puchases I ever made. I likely will order from them again for my 2016 RT before my next long trip, the original seat is not good for me even after having the foam modified by a local (and very experienced) seat guy. Also looking at the Sargent seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Back in 2009 or 10 I bought a Sargent for my Vstrom 1000 prior to a trip to Alaska (from Key West).
While it was indeed overly firm feeling at first it DOES break in and I Was told give it at LEAST a month before deciding to return it.
Once it got broken in it was great - I had days over 800 miles on that Vstrom that I couldn't have managed with stock seat.

So one of the first changes on myh 2016 R1200 GSA (low suspension) was a Sargent LOW seat to go with low suspension (later added Wunderlich low bushings as well)......again it too a while to break in but I've done 800+ mile days (Ride to Key West for lunch from north of Tampa, then back home by 1 a.m. )

When I finally get my 2021 RT I think a Sargent will be put on it - just debating do I do it now (have shipped to Bob's BMW in MD) or wait till after my 1900 mile break-in ride......
Yes the heated version is a bit spendier than my GSA's unheated but I think worth every penny!!

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had a 2016 R1200rt for 3 months now. Came with a Sargent and the OEM Seats....they both slope forward and are very uncomfortable after two hours or less. I ended up putting the illium bar backs on and just the difference of 1 3/4 inch up and back made all the difference in the world. I have multiple positions that are all comfortable so I can shift whenever I want to a different spot. I recommend then over any seat. Posture helps a lot!

At one point I thought about taking the pan of the Sargent seat and mounting a nice padded lawn tractor seat to it with 4 bolts and spacers...$50.00 for the seat, $10 for the hardware and bingo! If I try it, I'll post s photo. I can always put the Sargent seat back together.

Jim

·
Registered
156 Posts
A few weeks ago I filled in the contact form on the Sargent (UK) website, asking their advice on whether I should go for the Low or Standard seat.

So far they haven't bothered to reply.

I would have expected a company that wanted to stay in business to at least have the courtesy to reply.

A properly switched on company would have perhaps suggested one or other, and then offered to allow me to change without cost - as do many of the online clothing suppliers.

The website also offers a choice of "piping" colours on the seats, but gives no examples to show what those colours actually look like.

Not impressed I have to say.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in the UK and their customer service is notoriously bad. Answering emails is well down on their list of priorities. If you are potentially paying £400+ on a seat you would expect good customer service. They are good seats but they are clearly over priced and come without any customer support.

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
66 Posts
I am pretty happy with my Sargent saddle that I had done in custom color with flat stitching instead of the contrasting cord edging. That edging may be what is causing some discomfort on inner thighs especially while stopped. Most custom seat makers use flat stitching to avoid that.

What I do like about the Sargent is that they incorporate a perineum channel like bicycle seats. It is a V shaped channel down the middle to allow better air and blood circulation. You can feel it in the seat as with your fingers running across.

Though I haven't had any really long days in the saddle yet, I have had a couple of 300 mile days and so far comfort is very good and getting better as both my butt and seat break in.

Rick G

Reactions: Rambler358

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in the UK and their customer service is notoriously bad. Answering emails is well down on their list of priorities. If you are potentially paying £400+ on a seat you would expect good customer service. They are good seats but they are clearly over priced and come without any customer support.
The owners of Sargent in Jacksonville, FL have been made aware of the dissatisfaction with service being received across the pond - hopefully this helps....

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
66 Posts
My experience doing at least 3-4 saddles from them over the years has been all positive.

Rick G

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
66 Posts
What is the name of that custom brown color that you chose? Looks great!
From my invoice. I told them what I wanted and they picked. Talk to Dane, he is pretty good. I just talked to him today as I am going to have my trunk passenger pad done to match.

WS-644-NS-IHFR*
World Sport Performance Seat BMW R1200RT (2014+), Non-standard upholstery configuration, OEM-ready integrated heat, Regular Height front with rear.

Insert: F-60
Trim: E-77
Welt: Topstitch
Seating: Other (Note)
BMW Welt: Topstitch (no welt)
Note: Insert: F-60 dark brown distressed. Trim: E-77

Rick G

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
66 Posts
What is the name of that custom brown color that you chose? Looks great!
From my invoice. I told them what I wanted and they picked. Talk to Dane, he is pretty good. I just talked to him today as I am going to have my trunk passenger pad done to match.

WS-644-NS-IHFR*
World Sport Performance Seat BMW R1200RT (2014+), Non-standard upholstery configuration, OEM-ready integrated heat, Regular Height front with rear.

Insert: F-60
Trim: E-77
Welt: Topstitch
Seating: Other (Note)
BMW Welt: Topstitch (no welt)
Note: Insert: F-60 dark brown distressed. Trim: E-77

Rick G

Reactions: Rambler358

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm assuming that the UK operation doesn't actually make any seats (please correct me if I'm wrong) - so what else do they have to do all day other than answer customer queries and pack up a seat to send out now and then?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts