BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you folks have used a Sargent seat for long-long-long rides?

Any thoughts you might share?

I got one and it seems to hard to ride long distance, but I was wondering if they soften and comply with the butt eventually to become more comfortable

·
Registered
523 Posts

I got one and it seems to hard to ride long distance, but I was wondering if they soften and comply with the butt eventually to become more comfortable
I got mine about a month ago and at first it felt like an improvement in some ways over stock, but worse in others. The seating area was more supportive, but the seat cut into my legs a bit, especially when waiting at the stop light.

After using the seat for several weeks, I have either gotten used to it, or it has broken in (or both). I have done a few rides that were a few hours long, and one all day ride that was 387 miles (much of which was twisty canyon roads) over 11 hours.

The seat is not a panacea, but it is definitely an improvement over stock in my opinion.

For ultimate long ride comfort, most talk about Russel Day Long as being the best option, but I can't get over the looks of it, and the fact that the stock seat needs to be destroyed to harvest the seat pan.

Attachments

Reactions: joekahng

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have the "lower" sargent seats, and i like it over the stock seat, way way better.
sorry i cant give u any comparison over other aftermarket seats.

i did semi-long trips, about 1200 miles of canyons and frwy in 3 days~ my butt was very happy~

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had a Sargent seat on my '05 RT and I have one now on my K13GT. I do Texas to California every year with no problems. I had the low seat on my RT for about 5 years but I sent it back to Sargent to have it converted back to a regular height seat (you spend more time sitting than waiting at stop lights) and it felt a lot better. Mine was a custom seat - no welts, no logo and all symphony vinyl.

·
Registered
246 Posts
At 5’ 9” and legs that are more tree stumps than stilts, I find myself (hi self) using the stock seat for shorter trips with potentially more feet down time. For all trips with more freeway time or overall lots of saddle time, I’ll switch to the Sargent. I agree with others, either the seat improves or I’ve adapted to the seat. Either way is A-OK with me.

I’ve done quite a few days over 600 miles and one over 1000 miles with the Sargent. I agree with other comments, it is a huge improvement over stock. If the only thing accomplished was not constantly having “the boys” unmercifully shoved into the tank the entire time by the stock seat, the Sargent seat would be a win.

The Sargent seat hits enough positive attributes and very few negatives that I am happy with my purchase and would do again.

Please let us know after you’ve done a couple long, long, long trips to share your updates. Good luck and happy (butt) riding.

Reactions: joekahng

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Sargent seat hits enough positive attributes and very few negatives that I am happy with my purchase and would do again.
I just had to get past the initial purchase price. My seat for my '05 RT was not heated, so it was a little cheaper.

·
Registered
181 Posts

You may want to try this:https://alaskaleather.com/products/medium-sheepskin-buttpad
Cool on summer rides, warm on cool day rides. Had it on my Sargent seat last year. A huge
improvement, and love it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a friend who has a Sargent seat on his '17 RT and I've borrowed it for some of my IBA rides. I have actually completed more IBA rides in the OEM seat, but I am getting some kind of (possible) nerve condition that the OEM seat is (maybe) affecting. Riding the Sargent mostly alleviates that issue for me.

What I like about the seat is that it's firm and flat, which means it's easy to move around on and it gives me lots of room to do so.

I bought their World Sport Performance+ with OEM heat and the E-022 bead (which matches the secondary color of the Ebony Metallic model), for $465, after receiving a military discount. It's nice to have both this seat and my OEM as a backup (or to sell).

Get a Utopia backrest (about $265), and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My wife and I couldn't stand the stock seat for more than a couple hours at a time. So I got a Sargent. We're both very happy with it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
BTW: One thing to note on the Sargent seat...

If you run the seat in the High position, there are some rubber bumpers that you must install under the seat.

The instructions were not explicit as to whether those bumpers were supposed to be screwed all the way into the seat pan, or whether they should be left out so that they contact the motorcycle's frame. I sent a message to Sargent to get clarification and they said that the bumpers should be screwed all the way into the pan and that leaving them out to contact the frame can cause issues and tear the threaded insert out of the pan.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the Sargent heated seat. It is better than stock. I have taken a couple of riders without too much comfort, maybe 6 hours in the saddle. Then as a backup i keep an airhawk to help. Not as comfortable as my Russel on my previous bike were i had very little issues. But still a big improvement over stock. I think if i could loose a couple of pounds (around 30)
It would be more comfortable.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ain't gonna deny the RDL is more comfy, but them folks don't seem to be able to make a seat unless its 1.5-2 inches higher than whatever the standard seat is on any bike--That's what Jay keeps telling me everytime I call to see if they can manage a feasible seat for my bike.

I don't want to need a ladder to get up on my bike. Tis the reason I rule out the RDL.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I ain't gonna deny the RDL is more comfy, but them folks don't seem to be able to make a seat unless its 1.5-2 inches higher than whatever the standard seat is on any bike--That's what Jay keeps telling me everytime I call to see if they can manage a feasible seat for my bike.

I don't want to need a ladder to get up on my bike. Tis the reason I rule out the RDL.
Yeah. I agree. I called them back in May or so. They dismissed me entirely and so none of my money will go there. I can't understand why they choose to alienate a large population of people like me with money to spend. They won't build a seat that I can use at any cost. Period. Cut me off in the middle of a sentence to say no. OK. No worries. See ya later and I'll be sure to pass my experience on to anyone that'll listen (or read). RDL's aren't the only choice out there that get good reviews. See ya later.

None of the others are like that so I'll find one of them to buy a seat from.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. I agree. I called them back in May or so. They dismissed me entirely and so none of my money will go there. I can't understand why they choose to alienate a large population of people like me with money to spend. They won't build a seat that I can use at any cost. Period. Cut me off in the middle of a sentence to say no. OK. No worries. See ya later and I'll be sure to pass my experience on to anyone that'll listen (or read). RDL's aren't the only choice out there that get good reviews. See ya later.

None of the others are like that so I'll find one of them to buy a seat from.
I was trying to be be nice, but now that you put it that way, that was exactly my experience.

There used to be a Nazi-seat lady there, and she was really dismissing. You just mention one thing about reaching the ground and she would blast you off the phone.

They now have a guy named Jay who does it you more congenitally, but does it anyways. I tried at least three years in a row hoping they change their policy--but nothing. I don't see a reason why they cant make a seat a hair lower so that folks can reach the ground.

But certainly, I ditto the negative experience: "Take the flocking seat or leave pal" ...is the message I get from RDL. So I did leave, and with a "you can shove your seat..."

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sargent seat is much better than stock but I agree with others that is is firmer and flatter than the stock seat but that may be why it is better? I had a Corbin and it was horrible - way too hard. I think the stock seat is too soft and not flat which causes pinching or pressure points. I could not stand the stock seat for much longer than an hour or so. I could go all day on the Sargent and being able to move around slightly helped too. Being inseam challenged the RDL was out of the question unless I spent another $2000-3000 on lowered suspension. Even with the Sargent low seat I was not able to completely flatfoot with my 31" inseam.

·
Registered
459 Posts
So that was you behind me! I was gonna go all crazy on you esse for filming me!!! >:)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On this subject:

Another thing that helps to keep, (particularly in hot weather) the arses good and comfy is those beads. They work no matter what seat you have

1 - 20 of 39 Posts