BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT, Premium package
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently purchased a Sargent World Sport and it should be arriving in a few days. I've had Corbin seats on two previous bikes, a K1200LT and a Yamaha FZ6. Also a Rick Mayer on an FZ6. Wasn't overly impressed with the Mayer, but Corbin was ok. If the Sargent doesn't work out, maybe I'll send my stock pan in for a RDL refit over the winter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, seats are going to have a lot of opinions....all I can say is that I’ve owned three bmws, and had a day long with backrest on each and just bought a 2020 rt, and after riding only 100 miles...called and made an apt and got a full new saddle, once again super happy! They are high quality and the owners are top shelf...

·
Registered
6 Posts
It depends...... Some people love Corbins, or others, other people hate them. Personally, I have had a Corbin and a Mayer (I forget which one) and 4 Russells (RDL) I love RDL!! Sadly, you can only evaluate your personal best after 4+ hours on the seat. I recommend RDL. Good luck!

·
Registered
423 Posts
On my Camhead, I've had: OEM regular, OEM Extra Low bench, BMW Comfort one piece, Sargent Regular and Low, Terry's Custom, and now a Russell Sport seat in more or less that order. I should have just gone to the Russell. I could have gotten one with gold thread and diamond studs with all the money I threw away on the others (two of those came with the bike when I bought it used).

My recommendation? Go with the Russell and be done the first time.

Edit: I should have added that as far as customer support is concerned, Terry, Sargent, and Russell have been stellar. I especially liked Sargent's no hassle returns.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On my Camhead, I've had: OEM regular, OEM Extra Low bench, BMW Comfort one piece, Sargent Regular and Low, Terry's Custom, and now a Russell Sport seat in more or less that order. I should have just gone to the Russell. I could have gotten one with gold thread and diamond studs with all the money I threw away on the others (two of those came with the bike when I bought it used).

My recommendation? Go with the Russell and be done the first time.

Edit: I should have added that as far as customer support is concerned, Terry, Sargent, and Russell have been stellar. I especially liked Sargent's no hassle returns.
From my experiences in dealing with Corbin and Mike Corbin, I can tell you they have no concept of customer service - purchased a used seat for my '15RT after confirming by serial number with Corbin it would fit the bike - turns out the pan was made for the early model WC RT's and not the '15 - numerous correspondence with the owner, Mike Corbin's response was to the effect -" eh, you bought a used seat, you take your chances and tried to crawfish on the confirmation of fitment by his staff - gave him names and times of call - no, I won't sell you a new seat at a discount even though we screwed up - go away " - didn't expect a new seat for free, just an accommodation from him because I was now stuck with a seat that would not fit my bike - nope, "pound sand".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Conversely, RDL owner Terry Bradford and his son Michael will do everything possible to make your purchase a great experience....if you do a ride in, be prepared to spend 6 hrs, with two fittings...very exacting to size, riding style, and wanting to get it right to your satisfaction.....but remember, it takes 1000 miles to break in and get the most comfort from it....just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
289 Posts
From my experiences in dealing with Corbin and Mike Corbin, I can tell you they have no concept of customer service - purchased a used seat for my '15RT after confirming by serial number with Corbin it would fit the bike - turns out the pan was made for the early model WC RT's and not the '15 - numerous correspondence with the owner, Mike Corbin's response was to the effect -" eh, you bought a used seat, you take your chances and tried to crawfish on the confirmation of fitment by his staff - gave him names and times of call - no, I won't sell you a new seat at a discount even though we screwed up - go away " - didn't expect a new seat for free, just an accommodation from him because I was now stuck with a seat that would not fit my bike - nope, "pound sand".
That sounds like bull to me, there is no difference in any of the wet heads seat pan, so the 14 which was the first model has exactly the same seat as my 1250, except my 1250 seat compared to my 2014 seat seems harder and after 5k has not eased yet.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
For the past 16 years I've ridden the LT, GTL and now the GA all with stock seats. Have ridden several 500++ mile days without issue so I can't personally give you testimony as to which seat rocks. I can say from all of the past threads and by kicking tires at events that the RDL seems to be the winner hands down regarding aftermarket seats! Good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
98 Posts
That sounds like bull to me, there is no difference in any of the wet heads seat pan, so the 14 which was the first model has exactly the same seat as my 1250, except my 1250 seat compared to my 2014 seat seems harder and after 5k has not eased yet.
email correspondence with Corbin 8/2019

To recap, a fellow BMW MOA member offered this seat for sale. I called the Corbin main number and spoke with, Marty Coots, I believe, who was kind enough to confirm, by part number, this seat would indeed fit my 2018 BMW R1200RT and, by serial number, was made in July of 2015.
Further research by Greg and his colleagues determined this seat was made for 2014 – 2016 BMW R1200RT’s without Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM). Apparently BMW made some running changes in production to the frame and component locations and the seat I purchased will not fit
any RT equipped with TPM and will not fit on my ’18.
Corbin Seat Labels.jpg Corbin Seat R12RT-E.jpg

·
Registered
289 Posts
email correspondence with Corbin 8/2019

To recap, a fellow BMW MOA member offered this seat for sale. I called the Corbin main number and spoke with, Marty Coots, I believe, who was kind enough to confirm, by part number, this seat would indeed fit my 2018 BMW R1200RT and, by serial number, was made in July of 2015.
Further research by Greg and his colleagues determined this seat was made for 2014 – 2016 BMW R1200RT’s without Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM). Apparently BMW made some running changes in production to the frame and component locations and the seat I purchased will not fit
any RT equipped with TPM and will not fit on my ’18.
View attachment 171245 View attachment 171246
Well, you learn something everyday, in the UK my 2014 had TPMS and I have a 2014 with TPMS sat in my garage now. The seats are absolutely interchangeable, well the front is, as I've just swapped them to confirm. Is that a one piece seat? The rears look the same as well, but I haven't bothered to try and swap them over :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
casbar - it is a one piece seat and you can see the female lock place on the rear of the seat where the arrow is pointed - from what I gathered from Corbin, the securing mechanism as you can see from the picture, was different on bikes w/o tpms - 'presuming' the early production WC's may have had tpms as an option and that is what corbin used for their model - was able to sell the seat to a gentleman who has a '14 RT w/o tpms - probably not unusual on early production machines. While corbin has apparently updated their website, they take zero responsibility for providing incorrect fitment information based on the serial number of the seat. They only had 6 or so years to figure that out - unfortunately, corbin/mike corbin, have a long history of poor customer service - the fish stinks from the head back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So, I recently purchased a Sargent World Sport and it should be arriving in a few days. I've had Corbin seats on two previous bikes, a K1200LT and a Yamaha FZ6. Also a Rick Mayer on an FZ6. Wasn't overly impressed with the Mayer, but Corbin was ok. If the Sargent doesn't work out, maybe I'll send my stock pan in for a RDL refit over the winter.
Please let me know your thoughts on the Sargent. I did a 236 mile ride today on my 2019 1250RT and tonight my @ss is sore. The last hour of my ride I was feeling it badly. I bought the bike back in mid-May and felt the lovely comfort of the stock seat on my 280 mile ride home from purchasing the bike. At the end of May I submitted a purchase request from RL but still not heard from them and I can't wait anymore. I purchased and liked a RL seat for my previous FJR1300A. I was thinking perhaps trying a Sargent seat instead. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT, Premium package
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RDL is backed up til November from what I read on their website. As for the Sargent, I only got it yesterday. Rode it about 45 miles each way commuting to work. Initial impression is that it is comparable to the Corbin I had on my K1200LT.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, I got lucky and there was a cancellation and got mine two weeks after I bought my rt.... expensive though... full custom double saddle with heat, back rest, and repadded the passenger backrest.... $1200... but well worth it😀

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah, I got lucky and there was a cancellation and got mine two weeks after I bought my rt.... expensive though... full custom double saddle with heat, back rest, and repadded the passenger backrest.... $1200... but well worth it😀
OUCH! That is a lot of money :)

·
Registered
'18 R1200RT, '18 Abarth 124 Spider, '87 VFR 400R & an everyday sedan.
106 Posts
Recently bought a Sargent World Sport low seat (both front and rear) for the 2018 RT and love it, as does my wife. Easy all day seat. Highly recommend it and Sargent was a first class operation, great communication and good delivery time. Not really cheap but as I've a 29" inseam I can't even consider something like a RDL.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts