BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shifter went on me today three blocks from home talk about luck was planning a good day of riding and not close to home, but I do carry the replacement parts.

This is my first time to replace it and doing a search I can not seem to find a step by step how to do the work, did I miss it, can anyone help I have the side plate off, do I need to remove the tupperware on that side top and bottom?

I did see that people have found a heavy duty kit which I will likely go for after this, although I have 70,000 on the original but I also lube it on a regular bases.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Depending which stud broke you can access all linkage with removal of the lower left fairing. suggest you check all links .

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
bruce13p said:
My shifter went on me today three blocks from home talk about luck was planning a good day of riding and not close to home, but I do carry the replacement parts.

This is my first time to replace it and doing a search I can not seem to find a step by step how to do the work, did I miss it, can anyone help I have the side plate off, do I need to remove the tupperware on that side top and bottom?

I did see that people have found a heavy duty kit which I will likely go for after this, although I have 70,000 on the original but I also lube it on a regular bases.

Thanks
Here Bruce:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20134&highlight=linkage+repair

This should get you on yur way. BTW I never had to remove any tupperware but others say it is easier.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
bruce13p said:

Thanks
Hey Bruce, mine came off twice before I put a heavy duty one on. No problem installing it, I did it in a parking lot with a 10mm wrench and a pair of needle nose pliers. Took about 15 minutes. No need to take the tupperware off, just the side plate.

Garry

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same old Shifter linkage

Thanks Guys
I have it all apart and find that some *&^$ forgot to use Lock tight on the on of the important spots, so guess what it fell apart not broken and did only a little damage to the threads, so I am replacing everything just the same and keeping the parts that are in good (used shape) as emergency parts as there is very little wear in most of them.

I see what you say about taking it apart the only thing to slow me down way the amount of grease on the linkages.

Cheers and safe riding

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ace Hardware Rules!

Just a story to give everyone hope when your linkage breaks as far away from a BMW dealer as you can get..... Mine went out on a vacation trip , no dealer in site, on Sunday. At best I was looking a three days lost. I found out that Ace Hardware carries a line of curtain rod swivel connectors that will duplicate the shifting connection. That bailing wire rig got me on the road in two hours and even though I carry the OEM parts now...Two years later my BMW is still shifting on Ace Hardware parts.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
gisman said:
Just a story to give everyone hope when your linkage breaks as far away from a BMW dealer as you can get..... Mine went out on a vacation trip , no dealer in site, on Sunday. At best I was looking a three days lost. I found out that Ace Hardware carries a line of curtain rod swivel connectors that will duplicate the shifting connection. That bailing wire rig got me on the road in two hours and even though I carry the OEM parts now...Two years later my BMW is still shifting on Ace Hardware parts.
I like it! That's my kinda fix!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shifter

Thanks I will keep parts in the bike to repair it. Just came back from a little run works like a charm nice and smooth the old parts that are good have a noble place in the side bag with my tool kit, now I have done it I see how easy it is to do will still look for the heavy duty kit,

Again Thanks

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
bruce13p said:

Thanks
When you decide that you are tired of the wimpy factory shift linkage you send an e-mail to Phil Johnson ([email protected]) and order his heavy duty replacement kit. Specify if your bike is a 99-04 or an 05 and later as the thickness of the rods has changed.
I installed his kits on every LT I owned for peace of mind!;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts