BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an amazing video about saltwater as a fuel. Seems too simple. Maybe an engineer on the forum can point out the catch. I'll try to attach it.

I have loaded it in the FILES section, under Saltwater Motor Fuel.

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
It is still subject to the age old problem of cracking water - the energy required to crack it (in this case RF energy) is as great or greater than the energy produced by burning the hydrogen.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Randy pretty much summed it up. Stuff like that violates the first thermodynamic law. You CANNOT get more energy out of that than you put in in the first place.

Interesting question: If the first thermodynamic law applies (it does)Why not use that energy you have in the first place to drive your vehicle instead of going through the somewhat complicated detour of creating hydrogen and burning that? LOL

Just another "perpetuum mobile"

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
I'm curious as to how much energy it takes to refine gasoline versus the energy that we get out of it in a modern auto? It may still be a net loss, but if you can separate the production facilities from the usage engines (autos) then you'd have the same basic situation as with petroleum, except no need for the Middle East. It does require further development of hydrogen fuel cell technology to contain the fuel in the car, but if the large scale production costs can be kept reasonable then you may have something.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found out that a by product of this process is chlorine. Not exactly something you want clouding up the atmosphere. Course, maybe that would be better than gasoline/diesel exhaust.

·
Cat Herder
1,492 Posts
At least everyone will have a clean swimming pool.... :)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tvguy said:
At least everyone will have a clean swimming pool.... :)
We'll be able to drink the water from all our rivers, streams and what used to be toxic waste dumps. And no more running to the local pool supply company for chlorine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts