BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchase my K1600 in Feb. and I really do love it. However I also purchased BMW's saddlebag paint protective film, it's actually a 3M product. Not to bad installing and really the only complaint I have is when my wife, and I must admit myself as well happen to drag a foot across the film it leaves a mark that seems to be permanent. Actually what happens is the rubber sole of the boot scuffs the film and leaves a mark that so far I have not been able to rid myself of. Does anyone know of anything that can polish out these scuff marks or otherwise remove the them? Yes it does protects the paint but looks just as bad as it would with out the film.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nothing I have found seems to remove the marks and usually you make them worst trying to do so. I found you can minimize them by having several good coats of wax on already and polishing with more wax helps but does not eliminate them.
As you mentioned the marks look as bad as without the 3M protection film but know that the film can easily be removed and replaced leaving things looking new again.

Randy
2012 Blue K1600GTL

·
Registered
616 Posts
I got the BMW film put on before I took delivery of the bike, an my wife was beating the crap out of it right from the start. I didn't have any luck removing the marks from the film either; but my biggest concern was with the little gap in the two pieces of film right on the bend of the case. I figured it was a matter of time before she caught it just right and scratched the paint right on the edge.

So I took mine to a local shop that installs film, tint, etc. and he re-did it with a thicker film that is much tougher, and better still he was able to make one piece fold over the bend so there's no gap there. He also covered the very top where the lock is where the BMW product doesn't reach.

It's been on a while, and I have no scratches that I can find. I would recommend that you look at something like that when you get ready to replace the BMW film. And watch out for the gap.

If you'll go search on the K1600 forum you'll find lots of discussion and links. Some of the guys have had good luck buying the pre-cut film and installing it themselves. I'm way too much of a klutz to even try that. So I just paid someone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, sometimes you get what you paid for, however in this case I paid a lot for the BMW film and still did not get what I paid for. So as per your advice I am going to seek a local shop and let them apply something thicker in one piece.

·
IBR# 366
16,655 Posts
BMW makes some fine accessories that are designed and engineered to work well with the bike and enhance its safety, usability, and comfort.

And sometimes, the aftermarket just does it better. :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
coolmg said:
Thanks guys, sometimes you get what you paid for, however in this case I paid a lot for the BMW film and still did not get what I paid for.
I just wrote it off as buying time until I learned enough to find a better solution. They did their job in that the paint was protected.

How's that for looking at the world through rose-colored glasses? :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.