BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am headed on a lengthy trip and will have a SAC bag setting on the Princess Seat. The SAC has two 2" nylon straps that go to the luggage rack and then two more down low that used to go on the sissy bars on my Ultra to hold the bag on the seat. The only place I can see to run them is through the handles of my saddle bags, but will I damage the surface of those if I do?

·
Registered
773 Posts
tie downs

I was away on a long trip recently and I tied a bit of webbing round the passenger seat. This let me tie things down between that web strap and the slots on my rear rack. When you opened the top box the straps went slack and let you get stuff out of the box. I might have a pic some where if that would help.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Graham,

Thanks for the response, but I am not sure I am following your answer here. Are you telling me it is alright to run the straps through the saddlebags, because you did it with some kind of webbing?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Straps

No what I meant was take the passenger seat off - tie a piece of webbing round the passenger seat and then put the seat back on. This gives you your lower attachment points. From there run your tie downs to the rack on the top box. The bag is then pulled into the the backrest and held in place. When you open the top box the rack swings forward and slackens the tie downs and when you shut the top box the retighten automagically. In one picture there is a piece of paper uner the strap and in the other a water bottle. If you need any further info let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a "Seat Bag" made by T-Bags. I mounts exactly as you described. Just completed a 3000 mile trip from TN to New England. I have no marks on my saddle bag grips. One thing to consider is to pack stuff you might need on the road in the seat bag and you will not have to undo any tie downs to get into trunk or saddle bags. Don't forget a good rain cover, too. Stay safe.
Bill Reidy

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Lonewuff said:
I am headed on a lengthy trip and will have a SAC bag setting on the Princess Seat. The SAC has two 2" nylon straps that go to the luggage rack and then two more down low that used to go on the sissy bars on my Ultra to hold the bag on the seat. The only place I can see to run them is through the handles of my saddle bags, but will I damage the surface of those if I do?
Mr Lone wolf
this is what I do i have two under my tour pack fron mounting bolts and also two saournd the rear frame section under the rear seat I leave those straps in all the time, they can be used to tie stuff to or tie your bike to a trailer

you can store them under the front seat when not needed than open your seqat lift them out to the rear for strapping luggae on, our twoard the front outsides of the bike to tie it down incase you ever need a tow, brtw i make all kinds of straping and stuff here

TOm

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!!!

Got my question answered and some other great ideas to consider.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Another option is to contact Raffy and get a set of Strap-N-Go Tie Down Straps. These attach to the bike via the screws that hold the rear seat in. One side of the strap comes out in between the 2 seats and the other comes out behind the rear seat. it really makes securing stuff to the rear seat convinient and it doesn't mess with the top trunk or the saddle bags or their operation. Just another option to consider.

WildBill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts