BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any threads regarding seats on this new formatted site. I'm interested in the Russell day-long and am hoping someone who owns/owned one can answer:
--can they really build a seat using photos? (I'm in Nebraska)
--I'd prefer not to get the passenger seat. Does the driver's seat match?

Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
38 Posts
russell, my experience

Hi, I've had a couple of russell seats on various bikes. The latest was on a low seat for the K12LTC. It was VERY comfortable, but it was higher than the stock seat in the high position. I bought it on the internet, and sold it the same way. Haven't had them build one specifically for me yet. YMMV

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Reid said:
I'm interested in the Russell day-long and am hoping someone who owns/owned one can answer:
I did a "ride in" and they did a great job. I would offer this about the pictures:
Human anatomy is about the same. What differs is size, posture, etc.. They can build a seat base on the image of you sitting on the LT because it gives the data they need. The bone anatomy is understood. I would adhere to there recommendation that you ride 1000 miles before deciding if it "fits". They tend to be quite firm and supportive and it takes a few miles to get "broken it", that's you and the saddle ;)

On the match of the stock pillion with the Russell custom seat, I would call them. They were helpful when I called them about my saddle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Reid said:
I can't find any threads regarding seats on this new formatted site. I'm interested in the Russell day-long and am hoping someone who owns/owned one can answer:
Thanks in advance for any info!
I ordered my Russell Day-Long seat with just a couple of digital photos and the information they asked for on their web site (www.day-long.com). It came out great! After the rebuild, it takes about 1000 miles to break in the new seat, but once broken in, it's possibly the most comfortable seat I've ever had on a motorcycle.

If you have them rebuild the driver's seat, they will install a matching cover for the passenger seat at no extra charge. The only thing it will cost extra is shipping for the two pieces.

I had velour inserts installed on the tops of both seats, with vinyl sides. I didn't do the passenger backrest, but the vinyl portion of the new seats matches the original backrest fairly well (black vinyl)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I would recommend the Russel

I have had an original Mayer seat on my '76 R90/6 - great seat- bought it used
A Russel on my '83 R80RT- great seat - great service
A Russel on my '90 K75RT- great seat - great service
A Russel on my '96 K1100LT- great seat -great service
A Rick Mayer on my '02 K1200LT - good seat- terrible service

I would definetly buy another Russel no question about it.
I will never again do business with Rick Mayer.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I have bought a daylong used off a fellow LT'er from this board.

I am 5'9" 235 lbs and wear 32 inseam levi's
The waist size is not relevant here :)

I have found the daylong to require more tiptoe action and or the need to move forward to allow a firmer plant of the feet on the ground.

The real plus is the comfort and secure feeling the saddle provides. The back part of the saddle which is the"back" support is thicker than the original LT saddle. this sort of locks me in place better. You cannot move around in the saddle like the OEM saddle. I have not done a 8 hour day in the saddle but have done 4 hour days and it is far better than the OEM as far as I am concerned. I have 2 pressure points that i don't like but they can be fixed. They are not bad compared to the sore end I was getting from the OEM saddle on long days.

I believe that if they make a saddle for you custom it will be custom for your posterior. I am the 3rd owner of my saddle.

I am seriously considering having them modify mine to better suit my bottom over the winter.

If your are close to them I would suggest having them fit you up. If not I believe they have a system using photgraphs of you on the saddle your inseam etc.. to get it right for you.

I did try the corbin I did not like it. A bit hard and it felt like I was sitting in big spoon.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
255 Posts
My Russel Seat Experience

I've been working on my Russell seat purchase since April 05 (it's now October). I ordered the seat, waited for the build date, took the pics and sent it in. About 4 weeks later I got the seat(s) back, and started the 1000 mi break in. This took about 10 days. called Russell back for adjustments and was given another "build date" for the adjustments. Date rolled around and I sent the seat back in.

About 10 to 12 days later, I got the seat back. It had been adjusted, but there was some minor damage to the seat (rivets trying to punch through the seat cover from the inside out) and the adjustment is still not correct. Called Russell back and was told by them to break the seat in again as it was rebuilt on the previous adjustment.

I now have 1400 miles on the adjusted seat and will be calling Russell today to schedule the repair of the minor damage, and another adjustment.

With all this said, please understand that Russell has bent over backwards to try and make me happy while working within their own schedule restrictions. It's just the "shoot pics and ship" method is taking a lot of time, and a lot of shipping the seat back and forth. A "ride in" would have been much more efficient.

Bill B.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
seats in general

One thing I am reading here is find a local seat builder.

There are most likely more around than you might think. I for the life of me can not see shipping a 20lb seat back and forth at all.

There is a local guy "aligator bob" (Chicagoland area) that I am considering have do som mods on my saddle. I hear he is busy but better than $50.00 worth of shipping each way.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
"I hear he is busy but better than $50.00 worth of shipping each way."

The LT seats weighs 9 lbs.

It typically costs about $20 via UPS or Fed Ex ground to ship a seat coast to coast. Half of that or less for shorter distances. 2 day runs around $50.00 to $75.00 and ovenight around $75.00 to $100.00.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
RonKMiller said:
"I hear he is busy but better than $50.00 worth of shipping each way."

The LT seats weighs 9 lbs.

It typically costs about $20 via UPS or Fed Ex ground to ship a seat coast to coast. Half of that or less for shorter distances. 2 day runs around $50.00 to $75.00 and ovenight around $75.00 to $100.00.
Sorry Ron

But I have to put in my 2 cents
I shipped an LT seat last week (front, rear, backrest) to Russel via UPS
from FL to CA it weighed in at 17 lbs
with an extra $1.20 insurance it came to $34.53

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
"I shipped an LT seat last week (front, rear, backrest)"

And there's the rub (no pun intended) ;)

Three pieces at 17 lbs. vs. the one at 9lbs. I was talking about. More weight, mo money. So, that's about right for a full set.

When you go to a larger carton they also charge you for "oversize". What does "oversize" mean? It means they have figured out a way to charge more money for providing the exact same service!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've had Russell, Corbin and now Rick Mayer seats on my LT's - all 3 custom. The Russell was very crudely made in my opinion. The Corbin was like sitting on a rock and is built for style and looks - not comfort. My Rick Mayer seat is SUPER comfortable and is built to support the human body - mine. I did a ride-in and the adjustments were made right while I was there. The leather matches the LT very nicely and looks like it came from the factory that way. If you use a "local" builder, be sure they use quality materials UNDER the cover and know what they're doing - very few do. Ron Miller on this site builds a good seat from what I've heard and he started just after I bought my Mayer. A good seat makes a huge difference in how long you ride . . .

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have read these posts and I have to chime in. I recently had a KonTour seat built for my fat...err, you know, and I must say it is more comfortable than the OEM. On first sitting on it, the seat feels hard and a tad higher than stock, but as soon as it warms up with my body heat (no comments from the peanut gallery) it softens and conforms as intended. I had a problem with numbness on long rides as well as feeling lots of heat through the seat. I can honestly say that I no longer feel the heat and that the numbness has decreased as well. My anatomy is to blame for the numbness, but the seat has definitely improved my comfort. I shift positions very little now, compared to the previous seat. I would highly recommend this as a replacement for the original. The material looks and feels very good, and Ron does good work. I'm not intending to sound like a salesperson, but I feel the seat sells itself. The only drawback is the downtime while the seat is in the shop, but one can't have it all. My wait was a bit longer because of complications from hurricane Rita. Had I made the actual build date, I would have had it back in a week as promised. This is one investment that was well spent.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I also have so far experience in Ron's Kontour seat, which Tom Russell from Germany kindly borrowed to me.
That seat is waaaaay more comfortable than my OEM '05 soft touch seat. The only (and decisive) negative thing from my point of view is that those seats are intended for the (nice?) hot and dry weather conditions and not for the Scandinavian weather where rain hits you every so often. So if I park the bike I have to cover the seat and if I forget to do that - well sitting with leather pants on a wet sponge is the result.
Too bad the seats are not offered with water proof fabric, but as I have understood, the market for those is so small that it makes no sense.

So I have ordered Russell seats (to be made on '02 seats I bought from Hans aka "SilverBuffalo") and I have provided them with pictures of me sitting on Kontour seat as well as some dimensions of the Kontour seat itself.

So far no "butt-experience" on Russell, but the service so far from Katy at Russell has been prompt and precise.

I also considered Rick Mayer but hearing so many opposite / confusing opinions on his work I thought that with my lottery luck I end up having his "Monday seat" and getting it fixed from overseas would be practically impossible.

Regards

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Hi Ari:

Thanks for the kind words regarding the comfort of our design.

You're still going to be stuck with a rain cover. From Russell's site:

"Rain covers are advised for all seat cover choices, including all vinyl, since the sewing machine needle holes render them less than 100% waterproof."

Needle holes are ALWAYS the problem and one that we have addressed in our design - we don't HAVE any!

Our waterproofing barrier/radiant heat barrier (which is actually the third layer from the top in our design) is one piece, glued in place instead of sewn and will keep the foam cores bone dry. (Pictures below) If the foam core(s) on anyone's seat get wet they are a royal pain to dry out - often taking several days in a warm dry room with a fan blowing on the seat 24 hours a day.

While it is correct that our perforated COVER fabric does get wet it drains rapidly through the breathable mesh, and indeed you can never be sitting in a puddle of water even during a deluge. One of the most interesting characteristics of our seat is during hot weather you can splash water on the seat and it will actually blow 30F colder air over your butt. You can literally soak it as often as you like with no ill effects since the top cover, breathable mesh and barrier is unaffected by water. With 90% of motorcycling taking place in dry and warm to hot conditions there is no question our design is heavily biased to cool you off.

I would not recommend our seat for climates where there is a lot of rain or predominately cool to cold conditions unless you are wearing a wind and waterproof overpant to keep you warm.

Enjoy your new seats from Kalifornia and keep on "Farkleing"! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had my saddle rebuilt here locally by Don Weber in Albany, Oregon. He also does mail order with photos. Don did a great job at a very fair price - $350.

www.mredsmoto.com

The rider's saddle began to break down after only about 8k miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts