BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 6'3" and 240 lb. I just picked up my Russell Seats for both the passenger and driver and installed them before taking them out for a ride. Cruised for two hours without getting off the bike and felt great. This is my 2nd Russell (the other is on my GSA). It is so much better then the stock that there is just no comparison...at least for my butt. The seat is built up about an inch so with a Verholen peg relo kit it is very comfortable for a big guy.

· Registered
201 Posts
monster7 said:
yeah, im 6.3 was wondering about russell seat thanks for post :wave
I have a GT two piece Russell Daylong Saddle with about two months riding time on the riders seat and less than an hour on the passenger seat that I would like to sell. Both seats done in leather with vinyl sides. The seat is too tall for my 5'10" frame and 30" inseam. I now have a one piece GTL Lowboy modified by Russell and it is super.

Don S

· Registered
167 Posts
+1 on the Russell.

Ya know how it is at the end of a 500 or 600 mile day? You just want to sit down and have a cold beer. That chair feels just so damn fine after riding all day and the beer tastes great.

Sitting on a Russell is like sitting on that chair.

--Bob

· Registered
614 Posts
I have a ride-in scheduled for a Russell for my GTL. It's great to hear so much enthusiasm for the product. One of my goals is to get a little more seat height for some extra leg room and a better posture.

Any advice as to material, pattern,...anything else?

I know a lot of It is just preference. But things like: how do different meterials and patterns perform in heat and cold? That kind of thing.

Did any/all of you get the pillion seat redone? And the back pad on the trunk?

Thanks in advance for the help.

· Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,098 Posts
jzzmusician said:
+1 on the Russell. Ya know how it is at the end of a 500 or 600 mile day?
500 or 600 mile day. :confused: Sometimes I do that many miles after breakfast just for the heck of it with my stock BMW seat on my LT.

· Registered
167 Posts
saddleman said:
500 or 600 mile day. :confused: Sometimes I do that many miles after breakfast just for the heck of it with my stock BMW seat on my LT.
Me too. Except it's 100-150 miles until a breakfast stop and I finally gave in with the tired and sore ass thing and got a good saddle. :dance:

· Registered
210 Posts
dasmith59 said:
I have a GT two piece Russell Daylong Saddle with about two months riding time on the riders seat and less than an hour on the passenger seat that I would like to sell. Both seats done in leather with vinyl sides. The seat is too tall for my 5'10" frame and 30" inseam. I now have a one piece GTL Lowboy modified by Russell and it is super.

Don S
Don I sent you a pm on the seat.

· Registered
73 Posts
6'2" 220lbs and really like my russell seat. In all honesty tho, I have to stop every 200 miles just to stretch and give my arse a break. Think I would have to do that no matter the seat.

· Registered
89 Posts
JimE said:
I have a ride-in scheduled for a Russell for my GTL. It's great to hear so much enthusiasm for the product. One of my goals is to get a little more seat height for some extra leg room and a better posture.

Any advice as to material, pattern,...anything else?

I know a lot of It is just preference. But things like: how do different meterials and patterns perform in heat and cold? That kind of thing.

Did any/all of you get the pillion seat redone? And the back pad on the trunk?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim, I'm 6'3" 205lbs with a 35" inseam. Asked for an extra 2" added to the GTL one piece high seat. There was issue with the seat (more on that later) so when I sent it back, asked to for 1" to be removed (so net only 1" higher than what would have been produced from the stock GTL high seat). Now the fit is perfect.

I've always opted for all-leather. I just like leather and it wears well. Had the backrest installed. Never use it except for long trips (over 400 miles in a day). Had the pillion part of the seat left as "stock". I did not get the topcase backrest done but I should have. I don't use the topcase much at all, so it's not much of an issue for me.

One of things that wins me as a customer for life is not when things go well, but when they don't and the Company rises to the challenge. This was my third Russell seat; the prior two were fine right from the start. I did a SS1000 with the GTL with both the stock seat and the new Russell seat. The Russell did not live up to what I was expecting based on the prior two purchases. When I called, I was put in touch with the seat builder, and we discussed my issues. The seat was shipped back "repaired" under warranty and returned quicker than I expected. I was really impressed with the service.

It's the only long distance after-market seat I will buy.

· Registered
60 Posts
dasmith59 said:

Don S
Mr Smith are Russell Seats made for each in individual person size or not that critical.

· Registered
206 Posts
monster7 said:
Mr Smith are Russell Seats made for each in individual person size or not that critical.
This wasn't addressed to me, but : Russell seats are custom built on your OEM seat pan. Its truly amazing what they can do, but you have to tell them in detail what you're expecting, and photos are required. The more info you give them, the better the result. Link will give you lots of info: http://www.day-long.com/

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.