BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m tired of the sore butt. Finally going to check into new seat. I really like the cool butt theory of the Kontour seat. Lots of people talk well of their Russells. I think they look strange butt are they that good?For a 1200lt please give me some feedback.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,946 Posts
I had the Ron Miller seat before he had the really cool fabric and his old stuff was fantastic. I just could not get it wide enough (that was before the "Magnum"). I got the Russell and love it, now if I could just get Ron to re-cover it in Polartec. By the way I weigh 250 and have no natural padding in the back side, in fact I have a hardtime keeping my pants up. So the Russel was a good fit. I think I could get by with Ron's Magnum now, but three years ago he advised me to go Russell. Hope that helps. And the guy that bought my old Ron Miller seat is very happy with it and it looks brand new after 5 years.

Now make a choice?!? Hope this helped.

·
Registered
117 Posts
On my pervious bike - a K1200GT I had a Russell seat and I loved it. With my LT, the stock seat is working out well for me, but if I had any problems I would not hesitate to get a Russell seat on it. It was the best seat I ever had on a bike - worth the cost. The wife and I did a 13 hour run on it, my butt was OK but my hands were tired!

Have a safe ride.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
jzeiler said:
I have a hardtime keeping my pants up.

Nice visual... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I had a Russell on a K1100 LT that I absolutely loved. However, we never did get the pillion seat to fit right for the SO. Like they say, when mama ain't happy...well, you know the rest.

On my current 2007 LT, I had the seat rebuilt by Rich's in Seattle, WA. Outstanding work, outstanding fit and comfort. From 100 miles and miserable pain with the stock seat to 1000 mile days, no problem. The stock pillion seat has been perfect for the SO, so we didn't have anything done to it.

I haven't used one of Ron's seats, but wouldn't hesitate to. The members here give them great reviews.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I got a Kontour seat just last month, and it's the best seat I've ever had. Rode eleven hours today, and still feel good.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have a Russell, and love it. I did a SS1000 on the stock seat and was in serious pain. with the Russell, I have ridden over 2000 miles in two days, and what a difference.

I had contacted Ron Miller prior to ordering the Russell, and since I live in a colder climate, I decided I didn't want the "cooling effect" of his seat. This is in no way meant to knock his seat, but we don't have alot of real heat up here. The majority of the time I ride, I am looking for ways to stay warm, not cool.

If you can wait until winter, Russell usually has a deal. I got my seat for much less than the other companies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put on a new Russell this spring. I already have 1400 miles on it and love it!! Went for a lunch ride with my buddies last week and when we got home I saw we did over 450 miles.
I used to be in pain after 70 miles...not anymore!!! Seat fits like a glove. A little different feeling putting my feet down now, but I am starting to get used to it. I highly recommend a Russell. Great customer service also!

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Did contour make a seat for bigger people I.e. 250 lbs or better? I thought that was one of the initial limitations on the Kontour. Magnum may have solved this problem but not sure.

Being in the north country and prefering to ride when the temps are 80 and below I have the Russell on both of my bikes. If I lived in the south where temperatures don't get below 80 I would seriously consider a Kontour.

Roy

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Another vote for the Russel with heavy duty wings. I just cant say enough on how great a seat they make.

Love mine, all leather, and with black shoe polish and Lexol Leather Treatment it is sealed. It does not take on water no matter how wet it gets.

You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I got a Russell seat almost a year ago for the LT. I have not been disappointed. I can't speak for the Kontour seat. I rode on the stock seat then a Corbin. Those are the only saddles I have experence with. This past Saturday I did a 600 + ride and when I got home. I was talking to the boss of the house. I was saying to her about how the money for the seat had been worth it and I felt like I could have riden another 600 miles. With the other seats I couldn't have said that. The only thing I would suggest. If you know of someone who has either of these saddles. See you could get a test ride. One bump for Russell, there was a issue on the shipping and Russell stepped up and covered the shipping cost. I thought that was a stand up move. My two cents. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
cfell said:
Kontour.. just gets Buttah and Buttah.
As said before, cfell isn't tiny. He has a Kontour magnum and is extremely happy. We swapped bikes for a few miles a while back and even though the seat is too much for me (I need a regular since I'm only 200 lbs.) I was very impressed. I'm saving my pennies now for one of Ron's Kontour seats.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had both on the GT and the Russell is the better by far.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I've had both the Russell (on my R1100R) and a Kontour (on my 2005 LT). They are both great seats! The Russell has a bit longer break in period than the Kontour. The Kontour is great in warm weather versus the Russell, which is warmer during colder climates. If you get the Kontour, don't bother with transferring the OEM seat heating pad, it doesn't work well at all. The "wings" of the Russell seat take a bit of time to become accustomed to and the Russell needs (or you should get) the optional rain cover for use if you are riding in a heavy rain.
In summary, they are both good seats and whatever choice you make, they are light years ahead of the stock seat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just another reply...though somewhat late.

I studied all the various options in great detail and learned that with many custom seat makers you need to be able to ride in. When you have a seat that will put you in severe pain in only 50 to 70 miles it is hard to ride across country to California to have a custom seat made. I know they are now using LT comfort seats to replace waterboarding to torture terrorists. My research included reviewing many comments of people who had purchased the various seats, along with price and styling. I came down to Russell or Kontour. Where I live we can ride almost year round. It gets hot in the summer which made Kontour a good selection, but my spouse will use the seat heaters when the temperature is in the 60's. Knowing that while I need comfort her happiness is more important. (I have been married for almost 27 years, so I have learned a few things.) Therefore, I would need to get a Russell based on that one requirement. Although, my spouse liked the original seat. Some other considerations were the Russell that I purchased was cheaper than the Kontour (purchased as part of a group sale this past fall) and had a little more styling. Although in July I am sure the Kontour would feel very good.

I have ridden over 500 miles on my new Russell and it is a drastic improvement. I love. My spouse was not as excited at first. The thicker back rest and seat were not what she was used to. I moved the trunk box back and after some riding she likes it much more. She just had to get used to the new feel. Since I could get some extra styling done I thought I would take advantage of the opportunity. I am very pleased with the look, the ride, and the assistance I received from Russell. They even sent me samples to make sure I picked the right colors. Hopefully, I have attached some pictures. I think it turned out pretty well...even with the wings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
A Kontour question, and no Ron?? WTF?

Paging Ron to the white courtesy phone, paging Ron to the white courtesy phone please! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts