BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my build date is coming up for a Russell Day Long seat for my 07 RT and I'm having second thoughts about spending the extra money on leather vice vinyl. So far I haven't really had any issues with the vinyl on the stock seat. Is the leather worth it? Is it any more comfortable? Are there times when the vinyl might be better? Am I over thinking this? Any help/advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Also, my wife has stopped short of guaranteeing never to ride again with me since my son was born (this could be a good thing, right?). With that said, I feel I should have the back seat built up by them (not just recovered) to keep both seats looking the same. I'd like to get some feedback from folks who've just had just the front seat built as well as from those who've had both built. Does it look "right" with just the front seat done, etc., etc.

Thanks in advance foe everyone's feedback.

Cliff

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have a Corbin front and stock rear seat as my wife prefers it. I don't mind the look but I do like to keep the SO happy while riding. Its all about priorities.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had the Russell built for my 09 RT with leather seating surface and vinyl sides. Looks and works great. I had their rider backrest built into the stock back seat.....didn't have them recover the back seat. Also looks great. Highly recommend the backrest.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've had leather and now I've got vinyl. My Russell keeps my butt very happy and I didn't do anything to the passenger seat. It looks great. But I've also got a couple of pounds of dead bugs on the windshield and faring, so that may tell you something.

bob

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a Bill ("Rocky") Meyer, not a Russell, but I opted for the leather driver seat and the vinyl pillion seat. After 4 years and 57,000 miles the leather is starting to look worn, but then I have not taken care of it. It has been rained on; snowed on and left out in 100+ temperatures and I think I have conditioned it 2 or 3 times. But the vinyl on the pillion looks like new. However, I would go with the leather again for pure comfort and am considering a second "ride-in" to Rocky's shop in Ojai, Ca to have the leather redone. IMO leather is definitely more comfortable -- that is the positive. The negative is it requires more care and attention than vinyl if you want to keep it looking new. I'd spring for the leather every time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts