BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R1200RT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a Russell Day Long saddle rebuilt? My 2016 RT came with a saddle built for someone quite a bit taller than me so I'm on my tiptoes. I'm getting used to it, but its not ideal and the wings dig into my thighs when riding. They will rebuild it for me for about $500. Just curious if anyone has gone down this road and how it worked out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
54 Posts
Also, my understanding is that getting a Russell seat done involves quite a bit of lead time, maybe more than you can tolerate. Double check with them. Sargent makes a good alternative seat, IMHO. I haven't had a Russell, but they are by all accounts superior seats. I have ridden with both the BMW Comfort seat (oilheads) and a Sargent seat (Hexhead R1200RT), liked both, but the Sargent certainly shined.

You might be better trying to sell off the Russell to someone the height and weight of your prior owner (would nice to ask him for both, too), and buying the Sargent off the rack so you have what you need sooner, than later.

For myself, on my new (to me) 2018 RT, I'm going to try the heated stockers to start, then go to the Sargent heated seat set if we can't handle the stock seats. If my wife and I are still happy with riding this RT by next winter, we'll send in the stocker to Russell and eventually, sell off the Sargents.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
I just did it this past year, Oct. 2020. Fairly easy. I had the inside redone and a new spring (I'm a big boy). The outside leather cover is still in pretty good shape. I don't think it took that long between the booking and actually getting it back. As usual, once they had it it was back pretty quick. I'm the original owner. I did not have anything changed either. Good luck with it.

Reactions: Walsh3204

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone have a Russell Day Long saddle rebuilt? My 2016 RT came with a saddle built for someone quite a bit taller than me so I'm on my tiptoes. I'm getting used to it, but its not ideal and the wings dig into my thighs when riding. They will rebuild it for me for about $500. Just curious if anyone has gone down this road and how it worked out. Thanks!
If height is an issue, consider having the day long seat rebuilt to your specifications as a Russell sport seat. I had my stock re-built this year as a sport seat and happy with it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a russel day long that came on my bike. The previous owner a I are about the same size. It fit wife and I good.I would like to have it recovered with something that is not so slick. My wife slides forward when we stop. I added a gripping type slip on cover that fixed the issue, but really want to have it recovered.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How long have you had the bike? I bought a used RDL saddle from a member here, and it took a few hundred miles to conform to my butt, and for me to get used to the height of the saddle. Since then, it's been all smiles. My stock seat was like some medievel torture device.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Sell it if you can. I have always used Corbin saddles, but that's just me. In the early years Russel used the ugly stick on their saddles. They were comfortable, but not very attractive. They've come a long ways!

·
IBR# 366
16,656 Posts
You know, people occasional say the Russell seats are ugly but honestly, my äss cares more what it feels like than what it looks like.

Did you buy the bike to ride it, or to look at it... ;)

Reactions: steveaikens

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
54 Posts
Well, I'm not a knee dragger, but for those who are, one thing to recognize that while the RDL seats (or any other "tractor" style seat) may be more comfortable for sport or leisure riding, if you're used to moving your rear end a bit on the seat in the twisties, it'll be tougher doing that with a RDL. If one asked the hypothetical question "Why doesn't BMW just build their OEM's the way that Sargent, RDL, and other after market seat makers do", that's likely the reason. The stocker was made to work well for most riders. The tractor styles, perhaps only a minority of those.

Not an issue for me, but it might be for others (e.g. my son, the former Ducati rider).

·
Registered
496 Posts
I hear too often that you cannot scoot your butt to the side on a Russell. You cannot corner as well with a Russell. BS. Simply move over and even if your butt is still on the seat it is putting weight on the inside. Maybe more than a stock seat. Is it what racers are going to use? No. But it has as close to zero as you can get as a factor in going fast on the street.

I have written before that I would rather buy a used Russell built for someone else than ANY other new seat. I have tried many different brands on RT's over the years.
Russell seats, if you have never owned one, don't feel very good when you "test sit" on one. Yes, after coming off a Corbin or Sargent or other seats it will feel like the outer edges dig in a bit to your thigh. BUT...after 10 hours it still feels the same and you simply don't get the sore spots like other seats might develop.
The true test of a seat is doing 7-800 miles ....then getting on the bike for day 2 and 3 of similar mileage. THAT....is where the Russell has no equal.

·
Registered
2005 R1200ST, 2014 R1200RT
16 Posts
The Russell seat looks the ticket for the long outback rides I do. Roads are so straight for so long, like crossing the nullabor you can set the cruise control and take a nap knowing you wont slip off the seat while asleep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts