BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one near me seems to be able to balance my new front tire.
Has anyone noticed any adverse effects from running without balancing?
It feels and looks fine after the first 1000 miles

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I did some research on balancing tires I found from one extreme to the other. People would balance the rim to find the heavy spot, then mount the tire and balance it, to those who never did.
When I looked into mounting my own tires so I could save a few bucks I found a post on Dyna Beads , I've used them for about 12000 miles and have no complaints.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Just as a test I ran a new front tire with out being balanced for a few hundred miles then I balanced it. Even at 100 plus MPH I could not tell much difference, just a very slight vibration on the unbalanced tire at over 90 MPH. I have my rims marked on the inside for the heavy spot and put the red dot on the tire on that spot. There is only 1/4 oz weight on the front and 1/2 oz on the back this way.

·
Registered
330 Posts
When my front tire wore down some and "probably" got out of balance (but still un-noticable) it would start the "infamous" shimmy of the handlebars when I let go. Didn't do that at first when it was "in" balance.

·
Registered
794 Posts
With the exception of Avon, Most tire companies these days have excellent quality with minimum weigh needed and good quality control managing the product line.

With spring coming I have been doing a lot of tires. I have noticed that most of the tires that I have done only require about .5 oz.

If your front tire is out of balance, you will notice it.

Usually the weight needed is more to counter balance a steel valve stem more than the rubber.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Just balance it yourself. Remove the wheel assembly. Reinsert the axle and set the wheel assembly on two jack stands or something similar. You will need to shim one end of the axle to make the wheel perpendicular to the floor. Spin the wheel and the heavy spot will stop on the bottom. Add weigh to the opposite point. It's a bit of a guessing game but not difficult at all. When the wheel stops at a different point each time you spin it you're done. I've done many myself. Self adhesive strip weights are available at the local auto parts store. One hint is to tape the weight on with masking tape until you get the proper amount figured and then attach it with the backing. You can get them within about 1/4 of an ounce (7grams) with this method.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've always balanced my LT tires but on some of my other bikes I've frequently skipped balancing when I was on the road or in a hurry without any noticable effect. I usually try to get around to balancing for max tire wear but I can't remember the last time a tire was far enough out of balance to be a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts