BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tipped the bike right over last year and it hasn't run right since.
Runs fine at speed, but at low speeds and tick over it can seriously hesitate and eventually can stall
My thoughts are:
  1. Dirt in injectors
  2. misplaced fuel rail (not that I know what that actually means!)
Anything else it may be? and if it is 2. above, what do I look for? Is it a big job?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If the charcoal canister got flooded it could cause the problem. It did on my RT anyway and the first thing I did to the LT was remove the canister.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Tip it over on the other side.

sorry. ;)

How about when it tipped over it pulled some hose off causing a vacuum leak? Maybe even the one on the canister.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
bikesnumbnuts said:
There is,nt a charcoal canister on blighty bikes.
regards numbnuts in blighty .
OH SH1t you are right on. Sorry bout dat. Guess you are going to look elsewhere Cook1e :confused:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
cfell said:
Are you SURE there is no canister... some tricky Yank may have modified it...

Which side did it fall to? How long down? Ya don't think you crushed the plug wirez?
you would have had to damage the bike something awful to damage the plug wires.

Those are VERY deep inside the engine...

and covered by a plate...

Not my bike or my pictures but show how deep you would have to go to damage the spark plug wires

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
After working on fuel injection systems on cars, Ford pickups, and the LT, I can tell you that you don't have a fuel injection problem. The fuel passes through a very fine metal mesh screen prior to entering the injector body. Remember that the fuel is pressurized to around 40psi, so the slightest misalignment of the fuel rail will cause an unbelievable leak. Same for if those o-rings on the injectors don't seat correctly on the fuel rail.

Like I said, If the bike even starts and runs, then your problem is probably not the fuel. The hesitation would sound like some sort of vacuum leak or a sensor problem, just guessing.

Did the bike fall on the left or the right side? If on the left side, could the weight of the gas tank have slightly moved, cracked, or disturbed the seal on one of the intake tubes? That's a wild guess, I know, but tracking down a hesitation problem is not easy.

I just got through fixing a similar problem on my daughter's car. It turned out to be a leaking intake manifold gasket that sealed back up when the engine warmed up. Strange.

I think all on the forum would agree on the procedure for finding a vacuum leak: Drop the tupperware around the left side of the engine. Start it up and carefully squirt an aerosol solvent around the base of the intake tubes. Watch for any change in the idle.

About the only other suggestion I would have is to look at the air temp sensor on the air box. It's on the left side, too. I've heard of others on the forum finding this to be the reason for a hesitation at higher temperatures.

I hope my wild guesses help out somewhat. Good Luck!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, tried all suggestions, but still no closer. This one is really baffling me.
As stated, no charcoal canister on brit bikes - I remember searchning for it for hours to remove it once!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
There is a tip over valve in the tank that feeds the vent line (that then goes to the cannister on US bikes). Could be that stuck in the closed position. Try loosening the gas cap and drive that way for a bit to eliminate that as a cause.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Although I do know that the plug wires are well protected, if the bike falls over they could actually move some under the cover and if you have a wire that has already broken down it could be arcing under the cover.

I had similar symptoms.....rough running above an idle up to 3K rpm and it turned out to be a bad plug wire. It ran smooth above 3K and I was able to get it home( 900 miles from home).

The tech changed out the coil and when he did it moved the wires just enough to make it run properly. I rode it about 80 miles and it started again when the wires shifted. On the next trip, the tech reached in to rearrange the wires with it running and got a big shock. Only then were we able to know that it was a plug wire.

Replaced the wires and it runs like a top again.

Keep us informed on the outcome please.

Ron

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Every LT I have worked on that I have pulled the spark plug wires off have had some sort of chafing. I just use a dab of silicone on each area of the wire to fix them. I use acetone to clean the area then apply the silicone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts