BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 weeks ago i put a dose of injector cleaner in my tank, after about 50 miles the MPG started to drop & it was running a bit rough, almost as if one of the spark plugs was working intermittently.
Bike has been parked up for 3 weeks, & due to work commitments have been unable to investigate.
So before i start, i thought i would just fish for any pointers as to potential causes, my first port of call will be to check out the plugs, but after that im not too sure.
It has also crossed my mind that the injector cleaner could have dislodged some crap & partially blocked an injector, but i think that is probably the result of my thinking too much.
All ideas wellcome, its 2003 k1200lt/se, & is meticulously maintained.
Regards
Stevie

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Steve it sounds simular to what happened to my 03'. It turned out to be the motronic. I hope it is something much more simple.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
if you put fuel at the same time as the cleaner, it could be bad fuel..

Depending on the stuff you used, some tank junk may have been picked up by the filter...

Lots of possible problems.... get started figuring it out...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I sometimes wonder what effect injector cleaner may have on the O2 sensor. If you get a chance to run the code out on it, let us know what they find please.

Ron

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Running rough-Update

Ok i drove home, still crap, pulled plug leads 1 at a time, No 1 cylinder not firing (cylinder at front end), changed leads & plugs around, all plugs & leads ok.
No spark from no 1 plug lead connection point on coil, i tried touching this plug to exhaust, got a really faint dull yellow intermitent spark.
It appears to me to be no spark at no 1 post on coil!!!!!!!!.
Does anyone have any ideas on this one,???, is it the coil???, or is it further up the system???.(ie output from coil or input to coil)???
All contributions gratefully accepted.
Regards
Stevie

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,933 Posts
The way the coil is wired, both #1 and #4 fire at the same time and each is one end of the coil. So what ever is happening on #1 should also be happening on #4 since they are in series so to speak. I would also do a compression check on #1 as a sanity check. If that passes then I would suspect a clogged injector.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jzeiler
So if i am getting a good spark at 4, the originating pulse should induce a spark at 1??.
My fuel consumption is down from 52 approx to 40 approx & bike feels like its running on 3 cylinders, which it would appear to be doing with no spark at no 1.
Fuel is getting to no 1, as plug gets wet, & with plug removed it is misting out of the cylinder when cranking engine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Transposed plug lead 1 for 4, & 4 for 1, definitely a dead coil post at no 1,
this seems really strange, has this happened to anyone else, i would expect 1 & 4, or 2 & 3 to fail, ie fail in pairs, but not individually??.
or is this the way they would normally fail??.
Regards
Stevie

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a follow up on this one, finally replaced the coil (bike has been parked up), problem solved.
Seems odd for a failure in this way, but it did. 2003 & 32000miles, bit of an early failure to my way of thinking!!.
Anyway thanks for the replies.
Regards
Stevie

·
Registered
457 Posts
stevie1 said:
Just a follow up on this one, finally replaced the coil (bike has been parked up), problem solved.
Seems odd for a failure in this way, but it did. 2003 & 32000miles, bit of an early failure to my way of thinking!!.
Anyway thanks for the replies.
Regards
Stevie
Electronic components no matter how simple or complex will work and fail without warning. I have worked with computers for a long time and have seen brand new components fail a day after being installed. Coils are quite simple compared to computer parts but to break it down, they are all wires in a box, and wires do fail. Sorry it happened to you though, but glad that is all that it was.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a further point on this one, i now have the ignition whine on the intercom sets, ie as if the suppression has packed up.
Ideas gratefully recieved??.
Its an Autocom, bike fed, & noise is on both helmet sets, noise was not evident prior to coil replacement, all leads seem to be routed ok, & firmly fitted.
Regards
Stevie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts