BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After removal of the charcoal canistor the old beast seems to be running a bit to rich. Milage has dropped down to about 34mpg. During the removal I pulled out the battery. After install I reset the throttle and have been riding it to the tune of about 350mi. Seems like the Motronic should have reset it's self by now. Routed tank vent leading down the right side of the bike down to near swing arm pivot with a fuel filter at the end to keep out dirt. Vacumn line from throttle body on the left side plugged and secured with hose clamp. So what gives? Will this all blow through or do I need to go back under the truck and change something???

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Sounds like you did everything correctly. Why don't you try pulling the Moronic's fuse for 30 minutes? Right-most fuse box, bottom fuse, IIRC. (As you're looking at the 3 fuse boxes, it's the left-most box.)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe thanks for the info. The battery was out of the bike for over a week. Was in the process of installing HID,XM,Power Outlet in dash,LED dash lights, and for big laugh with my HD buddies a backup alarm and lights. It worked, I have gotten more laughs and head shaking. Surpisingly it all works quite well. I will try pulling the fuse and reseting the throttle boddies again. MPG is now down to just 32. Hope the reset works. Sure love the HID, mounted the ballast and ignitor on top of head light housing with the 3M Sure Lock.......

·
IBR# 366
16,570 Posts
I also did the full Motronic reset during a recent full service & farkle install. My canister has been gone for years, but I recently removed all the lines and solenoid and plugged things at the fuel rail.

The bike didn't want to idle for quite a while, but eventually settled down. I'm still pretty far down on gas mileage though, after 1K miles of highway in two days. The gas mileage did go up when I hit Oregon (and lower speed limits), but not quite as much as it used to.

·
IBR# 366
16,570 Posts
grifscoots said:
Hey Ken, keep an eye on the nipple plugs. I used those soft, rubber caps from the help section of Auto Zone. A few years down the line, with all the heat, not to mention Texas summers, they get hard, brittle and start developing cracks.
That's exactly what I used. Any thoughts about a better replacement? Or should I just plan on changing them out once a year or so?

·
Registered
439 Posts
What nipple plugs are you talking about ?
Are there some on the fuel rail ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts