BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

I leave my 2005 LT at various locations around the country for months at a time. I disconnect the battery on my departure, on return the charge is always still up but the bike runs very poorly for a couple hours. I think I recall a procedure that I can go threw involving turning the key on & off & so forth. Does anyone know the fix?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Turn the key to the on position without starting:
Twist the throttle all the way open 3 times;
Turn the key back to the off position:
Turn the key back to the on position and start normally.........should retrip everything and set the fuel mapping............... ;)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Turn key to on position
Do NOT start the engine.
Twist throttle to full on and back to idle
Do the above step two times
Turn key off

Now you can start as usual.

Loren

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Yes it is the TPS reset.
Just after you reconnect the battery.
Turn on the ignition, but don't start the engine,
Then twist the throttle full open and closed twice.
Next turn the key off.
Last start the bike again.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Sometimes the throttle reset doesn't work and you just have to ride for awhile and let it sort it out on it's own.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
Could be old gas as well. Better to fill it to reduce condensation of moisture but then you have a full tank of old gas. Tough call. Depends on how long it sits. May try a little StaBil in the tank next time.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Good point John; and it does bring up the question of the corn liquor fuels..............I've heard stories they break down faster than dinosaur fuel..........Maybe I should do some surfin'.....

But none the less; a good point John...................... :cool:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
Yeah now that I think about it the gas in my LT is about three months old - I need to ride!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have replaced my battery twice. Both times I did the throttle twisting thing. It still ran rough for a while but eventually worked itself out both times.

·
Registered
729 Posts
FI is equipped with adaptives. When in closed loop the O2sensor reading will sweep above and below a center line. As things change (air filter or fuel filter restriction, etc) the O2 sensor will bump against it's limit it's at that time adaptives will correct (rich or lean) to get the O2 sensor back into it's operating range. There are long term and short term adaptives. You can reset the adaptives to their base settings either through diagnostics or disconnecting the battery. If they are reset without doing anything else (tune up) the adaptives will need to go back to where they were and this will happen with riding. Until they relearn the correction the engine can run a little rough. It's a good practice to reset the adaptives after a major service. Based on the above posts that seems to be what's happening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts