BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the run flat tires that are available for the RT P and was wondering if such a tire was made for the LT and if so would it be cost prohibitive to buy them for every day use.

·
Registered
64 Posts
run flat tire

I have bugged tire companies for three years and they said that there was no want for them, but they have not had a tire go flat, I have on my gold wing and was very lucky as I was on the hiway doing about 75 mph and walked a way with almost no damage to me or bike.

I they say that the cost would deter people from purchasing them, I say that I for one would pay an extra $20 to $40 per tire and higher as it is great insurance.

They (the tire manufactures) also say that people would ride on tires longer before changing them because they think they are safer.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I not impressed with the run flat tires mounted on the RTP 1150. We have had Officers ride a very short distance and the entire tire comes off its bead..On several occassioins the rim was damaged. I was able to get about 300 yards on a flat without the tire coming off of the rim..
In contrast the old Kawa's you could ride forever on a flat tire.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you want to consider an alternative the Smartire monitoring system is great. I was running down the highway at 85 when the yellow pressure warning light came on. The pressure had dropped to 30 psi. in my rear tire. I didn't feel anything in the handling. I was able to pull off safely, found a nail, plugged the tire and I was back on the road. I could then monitor the plugged tire for leaking until I could get a new one. Something to consider.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts