BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2003 K1200LT with less than 6000 miles. I have noticed a rumble whenever I turn left or right. Moving straight, there is no noise,. no wobble,.. nothing really. It only (and always) occurs when I turn. Sounds actually like it's coming through the Tupperware of the bike. It's low frequency (sound-wise) and there's no appreciable shake/vibration through the handlebar. Tires are fairly new (Metzelers), with less than 1000 miles and are not scalloped or anything. I see no play in the wheels. I would think front bearing,.. but having had bearing issues on other vehicles,.. those would rumble turning or upright.

Kinda stumped on this one.

Thanks for any and all input!

Bill Miranda
03 K1200LT

Reactions: Lt Wookster

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Get it up on the center stand and check the rear wheel at 9 and 3 and also at 12 and 6 for any play. It could be the FD crown bearing in the early stages of failure. If you have play, make sure it isn't the swing arm pivot bearings and then pull the FD drain plug and see if there is any unusual debris on it other than the normal fuzz.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I bet not enough air pressure in front tire for awhile and you have flat places on the tire causing the rumble. 42 front 48 rear.
Just my .02 cents worth.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
As Vern said it is usually the front caused by under inflation. It does not take many miles for this to show up, and sometime will happen even with proper inflation.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
The Metzelers get very noisy very fast.
As do the Bridgestones. I actually find the BT020s more annoying as their noise is higher pitched compared to the ME880s.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I put a new Avon on the front and had some increased noise at first that went away within 100 miles. I put the matching Avon on the rear this week and no noise at all (less than 100 miles on the rear tire so far).

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've looked at my Front tire and it's practically new (still has some of the little rubber nub things on it). No cupping.
Pressure is at 39 psi front and 40 rear (Installed a tpms on it recently - also the pressure on my gauge).

I will check rear wheel play this afternoon when I get home.

Since it's been parked for years,.. I did a full fluid change,.. the FD drain didn't even have the little, expected metal "fuzz" on it. Emptied it into a clear glass jar and there was noting in it... wasn't even totally dark as the bike only has like 6k miles at the moment... replaced with the od 180 gram? of fluid.. synthetic.

The rumble sounds like it's coming from the Tupperware so much... and she likes to scream at speed. if I go across two lanes... then silence when straight again. Frustrating as hell.

have taken off the Tupperware,.. due to it sitting for so long and replaced the practically dissolved rubber, in tank hoses... and the mouse-eaten wires to my radio.. and made sure all the screws were replaced and everything was snug (damn bike still creaks though - sigh).

Gonna be doing the plugs (as I didn't get them in time when I did all the other work).. and also will be putting in a performance chip.. just to try and get rid of that annoying stumble/hesitation.

Thanks for the Ideas, all!

Bill

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
maybe got two issues, rumble dunno it usually tyres, the gear train has a high pitch whine at somewhere between 60 and 66 mph, I am metric so mine starts at 97kph and goes away at 103kph is that the speed you hear it, I bloody hate it cause that is our highway max speed.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Raise your tire pressure up to 42/44. That 48 figure is pretty high and above the max tire pressure. Remember when they warm up you will add 3 to 5 psi from heat.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Raise your tire pressure up to 42/44. That 48 figure is pretty high and above the max tire pressure. Remember when they warm up you will add 3 to 5 psi from heat.
48 is not too high for the Metzelers and works great for the rear. The max for the rear Metz is 50. I have run 42/48 for 9+ years now with both Metz and Bridgestone and it works great for two-up and loaded touring. The Bridgestone rear has 48 as the max, so need to be a little more careful when setting its pressure.

The pressure rise during riding matters not in regard to the max cold inflation pressure. Stay at or above the bike maker's recommendation and at or below the tire maker's maximum and you are safe to experiment to your heart's desire.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
:grin:Thanks, I'm used to seeing 45 psi on bike tires. Happy Trails.
(Just to freak you out, one of my bikes the S1000R, I run 34/38 )

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
:grin:Thanks, I'm used to seeing 45 psi on bike tires. Happy Trails.
(Just to freak you out, one of my bikes the S1000R, I run 34/38 )
Doesn't freak me out at all. :smile:

I am used to everything from 5-6 psi in my ATV to 90+ in OTR trucks. It all depends on the vehicle. I started with the BMW recommendations for the LT. I started to see early cupping and then as I read this forum more I saw the fairly consistent 42/48 recommendation. It was within the limits on the tire sidewall so I figured might as well try it. I lost some ride quality, but the handling is as good or better and the tires wear more evenly and likely last longer. The LT is a heavy beast when loaded and I think the higher pressures suit that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Checked wheel play... everything seems fine... at least I could not "feel" any "looseness" in the wheels. To better describe the sound... it's more like in the old series "Airwolf" (if y'all remember that).. when the Helo there would go into attack more and peeled off,.. there was basically like a "roar".. and that is what I am hearing from the K... a roar. No vibrations that I can feel.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Checked wheel play... everything seems fine... at least I could not "feel" any "looseness" in the wheels. To better describe the sound... it's more like in the old series "Airwolf" (if y'all remember that).. when the Helo there would go into attack more and peeled off,.. there was basically like a "roar".. and that is what I am hearing from the K... a roar. No vibrations that I can feel.
98.44% likelihood it is tire noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sooo... what's that 1.56% that's left? :)

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Sooo... what's that 1.56% that's left? :)
I made a typo. It should have been 99.44%. You will have to ask Ivory soap about the 0.56%.
:grin:

Reactions: johnbaker15
1 - 20 of 20 Posts