BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a very busy week, I was looking forward to taking a nice afternoon run to stretch the legs on my rtw. Wife and kids were settled in for a lazy afternoon nap and I was geared up for the ride only to lose the wind in my sails when i pushed the nifty black button that has now replaced my old trusty key....

Nothing.... Nada... Zip... Zero... Zilch. No lights on the display, no response with the alarm, no response with using the fob to unlock the cases.... and of course, no ride!!!

So... after trolling the net for the rest of the afternoon looking for any clues, I have found precious little info on the new central locking/keyless ride experiences of other riders. Perhaps I am the only RTw owner that has allowed their bike to sit six days between rides, but I find that hard to imagine. Apparently, the Keyless Ride receiver on the bike is constantly scanning for the presence of key fob which creates a larger demand on the battery. I should also mention that I left the Nav V in the cradle as well as I always keep my bike in my locked garage.

I have had it on a Battery Tender Jr. for almost 22 hours now and there is still not enough juice to get the bike to respond to the key fob in any manner, other than the alarm turning on and off a time or two. Now I'm wondering if there is anything that could have "lost its programming" due to the drained battery that would prevent the bike and the fob doing their thing once the battery's charge has improved?

Anyone here have any experiences they can add/share?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 14 lost the battery after sitting for the 3 months during the recall. It had been on the Battery Tender during the lay over. It worked fine for 2 months then just gave up the ghost. It did start the bike alter an overnight on the tender but failed to start the bike when I got it to the dealer. It was covered under warranty but once I'm off of warranty I'm going to the aftermarket (Oddsey) for my replacement.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Let me make sure I understand: the keyless system drains the battery dead in 6 days not riding? What IS this system?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Did the 2014 have the keyless system or was that just a perk for 2015 models?
It's an option on '15 RT's. Top model K16 had it in '14. Instead of turning a key...you push a button...not a big leap in "newness" in auto/motorcycle world for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
I had posted in at least a couple of threads here that the keyless ride feature of the '15 RT do draw more power from the battery, when sitting idle. However, 6 days is not a long time, and the battery should be able to handle that. It sounds like a bad battery, as at least one member of this community have experienced!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I had posted in at least a couple of threads here that the keyless ride feature of the '15 RT do draw more power from the battery, when sitting idle. However, 6 days is not a long time, and the battery should be able to handle that. It sounds like a bad battery, as at least one member of this community have experienced!
Six days sounds really suspect. I'd say you either have some other thing drawing parasitic current or else your battery is bad. Bad batteries out of the factory are not unheard of. Especially since it doesn't seem to be recharging. Either way, it's a warranty issue. Take it back to the dealer to get it fixed.

JayJay

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It sounds like a bad battery, as at least one member of this community have experienced!
+1
Call your dealer, have them bring a new battery

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I have had it on a Battery Tender Jr. for almost 22 hours now and there is still not enough juice to get the bike to respond to the key fob in any manner, other than the alarm turning on and off a time or two. Now I'm wondering if there is anything that could have "lost its programming" due to the drained battery that would prevent the bike and the fob doing their thing once the battery's charge has improved?

Anyone here have any experiences they can add/share?

Thanks,
Steve
Some MC trickle chargers will not start a charge cycle if they do not see a high enough voltage in the battery, I have some that will not start charging if the battery is completely flat. I have had to prime the pump by paralleling a 12 volt source to the flat battery with the charger connected.
Is your charger being used via the BMW power outlet and thus needs to be can bus rated. Was your key fob close to the bike?

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
......... Was your key fob close to the bike?
Wow, that is a good question! If the key fob was stashed within sensing area, then a few more electornics would have been turned on, and hence drawing more power from the battery!

·
Registered
586 Posts
When I had keyless on the Multi, the dealer warned me of two things. First, keeping the key near the bike caused it to hunt for the fob and run the battery down. Told me not to leave the key near the bike. Second, the Multi had a switch problem where if you left the kill switch in the on position, it would sometimes hang, causing the system to hunt. Same result, dead battery. Not sure if there's anything like either of these going on with the RT, just some info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts