BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

RTE Naval Air Museum Pensacola FL May 19th

18K views 122 replies 19 participants last post by  saddleman 
#1 ·
Join us at the Cubi Bar Cafe saturday may 19th at noon. The location is at www.navalaviationmuseum.org in Pensacola Florida. This is the home base for the Blue Angels. If you want to get there early in the week they have there practice on tue & wed. I plan on having a guided group tour of the museum so I will need a head count a few weeks out

I'll be riding down on friday. Any recommendations on motels near the museum ?. I'll be calling motels in the next few days to get something set up.

You will need to go to the web site & look up the requirements to ride a motorcycle on the base to the museum or I'll post them later.

Enjoy The Ride, Dave Selvig :bike:

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Looking forward to see you again Steve. :wave

To ride to the museum you will need a minium of Long sleeve shirt, Long pants, Helmet, Gloves, & Hard sole shoes.

There are two places to stay on the base if you are a Veteran.

The Navy Lodge 850-456-8676 and Gateway 850-452-2756

Riding farther on the base will probably require more gear. I called the base motorcycle safety number (850-452-3674) & the voice box is full.

Here are two motels about 6 miles from the base. They are within walking distance to restaurants & the rates are from $70 & up

Quality Inn, 3 New Warrington Rd. 850-455-3233

Super 8 Hotel, 5 North New Warrington Rd 850-457-7277

I plan on arriving around 3:00 pm so I can enjoy some cold beverages pool side before walking to dinner. :D

Discussion starter · #5 ·
katnapinn said:
Which Hotel are you staying at Dave?
I'm leaning towards the Quality Inn. I'm hoping someone will jump in with a recommendation. I'll probably only wait a week. because lot of the hotels already don't have that many rooms available.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
katnapinn said:
That looks like a good one to me too. I like the "out side" access to your room so you can park at your door( if your down stairs).
The link below has all hotels near the base If anyone wants to chime in with a better Hotel.

CLICK HERE
I'll let you know as soon as I get the neighborhood checked out.

Discussion starter · #21 ·
kinch said:
Dave, I will try to make this ride as this is one of my favorite museums.
Type NAS Pensacola, Fl. into Google Maps & you will get a list of motels in the area
as well as a view of the airstation, Museum is mis-labeled as Marine Corps Matainance
Bldg. its the only Bldg. with an F4 on a pedestal out-front on Blue Angels Drive.
Bruce, If I don't see you at the Iron Horse hopefully I'll see ya in Pensacola. :wave

Discussion starter · #26 ·
jdsd-tourteam said:
Hey guys, been awhile - was it the meet at the Mighty 8th?? River Ranch here in FL? Anyway, I'm planning to attend. Now look at the motel offerrings. Would ride up Fri, back on Sun.

Jon
I think the last meet up was at the River Ranch Jon. :) I'm planing on riding home saturday after the Museum tour.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
pkpr1998 said:
What room rates have you all been given?
If you had asked three weeks ago I might have been able to recall. :eek: I'm thinking mine was at about $80.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
jfondren3 said:
Just to give more clarification about riding onto a military base, this is what DOD requires for anyone to ride onto base. I don't want anybody to get turned around or stopped at the gate because they don't have the right PPE. Although some bases are more laid back than others and don't fully enforce the rules.

-DOT certified helmet
-Full face shield/shatter resistent goggles (however I ride onbase every day in oakley sunglasses without an issue and so does every one else)
-Long sleeve shirt or jacket
-gloves
-full length pants
-over the ankle boots

One other thing, you have to have some sort of brightly colored high vis garment on your upper body. So either a road guard vest, brightly collored riding jacket, or even a white long sleeve shirt meets the rules.
My post # three has the exact requirements for riding to the museum from the museum webb site.

Discussion starter · #62 · (Edited)
Glad to see that you can ride again John. :thumb:

On another note let me know by this weekend if you want a guided tour or not so I can call Monday to set it up.

I will say this it was real neat having the WWWII fighter pilot walking around with us when we went to the Mighty 8th Museum.

If we do the guided tour they are volunteers so I think the least we could do is buy him lunch.

Discussion starter · #66 ·
Were all set for the group tour. It starts at 9:30 at the information desk. :bmw:

Discussion starter · #67 ·
Sidestands up a 8:00am at the Cracker Barrel in Gaffney SC Friday morning. Lee & I are having breakfast there so we will be there about 7:00am.

Discussion starter · #71 ·
jzeiler said:
Jean and I will depart greater Hazel Green around 8 am and after taking lesser highways (no interstates except for 30 miles of I-10) we should arrive at the hotel around 4pm.
4pm is my target arrival as well John.

Discussion starter · #82 ·
After I packed the bike last night NOW you tell me to take pic's. I'll see if I can cram a camera in there somewhere. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.