BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello...new user here so please pardon my ignorance and mistakes I might make in asking my questions.

A friend is selling a 2004 R1150RT-P that was a former CHP bike which has 80K miles on it.

He describes it as having a GPS, new tires, new battery, great condition, and an he has the second seat to throw into the deal. It has the saddlebags and trunk. I assume things like heated grips and power windshield are standard?

I don't know how long he has had it or how many miles he has put on it, but he said he paid $5K for it. We are working out what the value is and what I should offer him for it.

1. Is 80K miles a lot and how many more miles could I expect to get out of it before I would need major work, i.e. engine/transmission?

2. Are the miles too high for taking a trip of 2-3000 miles without a lot of worry about breakdown.

3. Does that model or year have any glaring issues that would cause me to pass on this bike?

4. Can a trailer be towed with it?

5. What about a sidecar? I have a dog I would like to take on trips with me.

6. Last but not least, what do you think is a reasonable price to pay for it?

What other things should I take into consideration regarding buying this bike or not?

Appreciate any feedback whether it is pro or con the purchase.http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/BMWLT_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png

Lew

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned about the engine or transmission, but the state of the clutch would be on my mind because of the training/usage by the CHP rider.
I can't answer on the trailer or sidecar, although I would think both are doable, but I do not have first hand experience with either.
Also if planning on going for a long trip you should ride a while and see if the ergos work for you and what changes you need (bar risers, windshield, custom seat, etc...)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I am still needing a dollar amount to offer the seller and it isn't likely I will get a lot of riding in until spring either way.

What is the normal life of a clutch. I never put enough miles on a bike to wear out a clutch but I have in cars. It was routine to need clutch work way before the engine or transmission needed work.

If clutches need frequent replacements, what is the chance they have already done the clutch and the current clutch is low mileage.

I don't know about working on the BMW, but on other bikes I have had the clutch was easy to work on, but they had their crankshafts perpendicular to the MC, not inline.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
For pricing info, check what they've sold for on ebay recently, then adjust for miles, condition, etc.

I wouldn't worry much about the clutch, if it's tight when you test ride it. It's a dry clutch, so replacement is like doing a car's clutch. There is plenty of info on what the job entails, take a look online and see what you think.

It's an R1150RT with some improvements, so any accessories such as trailer or sidecar that you can find for the Violator -- er, I mean STANDARD -- model will go onto the Police model.

No glaring issues with the 2004 -- I liked mine so much, I bought it when we went to the 1200s (then bought my 2007 R1200RTP when it was replaced a few years later). In fact, CHP still has some of the 1150s in service!

The big question is how much you trust your friend. Would he hide problems from you, if he knew about them? If not, then all that's left is finding a price you both like.

BTW, if you know anyone looking for a 1200, I've got a friend who is selling his. It's a 2007 like mine, and he's after something like $6000 for it, so that should give you an idea where copcycle prices are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

So the -P probably means differences in suspension, brakes, and alternator?

What is a Violator? New to the lingo.

My friend is more of an acquaintance than a friend. However he is a former PD and trustworthy.

Thanks sir!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hello,

So the -P probably means differences in suspension, brakes, and alternator?

What is a Violator? New to the lingo.

My friend is more of an acquaintance than a friend. However he is a former PD and trustworthy.

Thanks sir!
If you look around online, you can find a pdf of the brochure for the R1150RTP. There are a number of differences, mostly minor ones.

It's a joke among motorcops that since they make a Police model motor for us, everyone else must be on Violator models.

If you trust your friend, and you can come up with a deal that you both like, you should be happy on the motor. Just be sure you take some time getting used to it -- the center of gravity is a bit higher than most motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
BTW, two things to get rid of the minute you buy it are the "POLICE" signs and that radio antenna mount.

The radio box cover is not durable enough to have a side mount on it. It will develop cracks from the screw holes, if it gets whacked a few times. A neighboring agency learned this the hard way, and those were the short antennas used in the region's 800MHz system. The standard mounting methods are either using the intended spot on the top of the cover, or a metal mount can be attached somewhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello...new user here so please pardon my ignorance and mistakes I might make in asking my questions.

A friend is selling a 2004 R1150RT-P that was a former CHP bike which has 80K miles on it.

He describes it as having a GPS, new tires, new battery, great condition, and an he has the second seat to throw into the deal. It has the saddlebags and trunk. I assume things like heated grips and power windshield are standard?

I don't know how long he has had it or how many miles he has put on it, but he said he paid $5K for it. We are working out what the value is and what I should offer him for it.

1. Is 80K miles a lot and how many more miles could I expect to get out of it before I would need major work, i.e. engine/transmission?

2. Are the miles too high for taking a trip of 2-3000 miles without a lot of worry about breakdown.

3. Does that model or year have any glaring issues that would cause me to pass on this bike?

4. Can a trailer be towed with it?

5. What about a sidecar? I have a dog I would like to take on trips with me.

6. Last but not least, what do you think is a reasonable price to pay for it?

What other things should I take into consideration regarding buying this bike or not?

Appreciate any feedback whether it is pro or con the purchase.http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/BMWLT_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png

Lew
Hi Lew. Single topic only: re your dog, go down the thread on Life on the Gold Coast where I've posted some info on the PC3000 pet carrier. Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts