BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of one too many drops my wife now refuses to ride a the big LT. How much easier to handle (with passenger and bags, etc.) would the RT be? I thought I could get a trial ride with her at my local dealer and maybe not have to give up riding a two wheeler. The Lt is now triked (06 hannigan) but is currently for sale (see the classified). I really want to get back to a two wheeler. Med reason for going trike now rectified. Tanks.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The RT is significantly lighter two up or one up. Depending on your inseam though, you may need the lower seat because it seems that the reach to ground is higher then the LT. Don't think your SO will be as comfortable though.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You need to figure out what is causing you to drop the LT.... You may have the same problem with any bike...... Age, strength, how tall are you?

I think the LT is about the same as any other bike I've had,,
2 up riding takes more focus on the stops and starts,,,, have your wife get on and off after you get ready to drive off,,there is no reason for her to be on when you are backing in or out of a parking spot........... Good Luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
In my NTBHO some SO's just can't seem to get the hang of being a good passenger. I've been on wo wheels for 43+ years and my Bride of 40 is great, so much so that I have forgotten she is there. She is 110 lb's and I am pushing 300 so that may contribute but I have ridden others that have scared the ever lovin shit out of me. Just maybe it is not the bike.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I find that the lightness of the RT makes it easier to handle for me, but I also "feel" my wife on the back a bit more than on the LT. If she is being a good passenger, then the RT is better. If not, it may be a bit worse.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Being a good passenger on a motorcycle takes a little knowledge.

Maybe she's fidgiting around at a critical time when you are stopping.

She needs to stay centered with the bike and not put pressure on one foot or the other to "help" you balance the bike.

Seems to me that when we were having similar problems it was because Lindy was trying to "help" too much..

Yes the RT will be much lighter and easier to ride. But if your passenger is leaning or shifting her weight at the wrong time, She can take the both of you to the ground.

HTH

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
96 Posts
allen said:
Because of one too many drops my wife now refuses to ride a the big LT. How much easier to handle (with passenger and bags, etc.) would the RT be? I thought I could get a trial ride with her at my local dealer and maybe not have to give up riding a two wheeler. The Lt is now triked (06 hannigan) but is currently for sale (see the classified). I really want to get back to a two wheeler. Med reason for going trike now rectified. Tanks.
I love the expert advice forthcoming on how not to drop the LT, however, the fact still remains that if you get the LT out of her narrow leg strength envelope, over it goes, no matter how many hours/miles you have on her. All it takes is one moment of inattention after a 700 mile ride, for example... Or looking at the hot chick walking into Starbucks on Thursday morning and... Yikes!!

I ride with a few professional riders, i.e., they are retired and that's all they do to the tune of >75,000 miles per year( Iron Butt guys ++). They ride RTs and drop them on a routine basis. Why? Well, they ride so much that they find the holes in the gas station ramps or the black ice outside of the Motel Six, etc.

I would not get rid of the LT because you are dropping it. Just learn to deal with it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts